BBC report Thai Covid crisis latest - who's going to visit Thailand after reading that?

webfact

3 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

"characterized by infighting and conflicting statements "

This is only part of what is happening though ...

• still not told if mRNA vaccines have been ordered yet (only been told talks are happening)
  • never any information or investigation on the local AstraZenica production problems
  • what is happening with the 1.5 million vaccine doses donated by the US
  • what was done with the $68 million donated by Australia
  • why is more Sinovac ordered

Sinovac is being ordered because of the Thai shareholders, look them up

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Thailand on the other hand....

Is doing the same thing...now that vaccines are available and no longer being horded by Western nations now that their populations are mostly vaccinated (the ones that want to be).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Ohh dear poor ole Prayut aint gonna like that, he will ban the BBC for telling the truth.

Great photo cop standing there with a bloody BIG gun, if that does not frighten tourists away nothing will.

It wouldn't frighten most Americans...would be considered a small firearm if not a paint-ball gun.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

they might be recorded but not investigated - deaths here are seldom signed off by a medical professional - the village head man might sign a paper 

I found d this. Not sure It's reliable and to which extent the number of excess deaths can be related to Covid-19.

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Screenshot_20210720-083903.png

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, the UK is ahead in medical terms but way behind in how they dealt with this pandemic.

You are ignoring that the pandemic didn't spread the same in warm countries as it did in cooler countries. Also people in the UK are much more sealed in within buildings so air is much more recirculated. Thai buildings have much more fresh air unless air conditioned. 

The Indian strain had evolved to spread in warm climates so now you will get a better comparison to what the UK, US, Italy etc. first had to deal with before vaccines. Also much more is known now about prevention and treatment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Oh c’mon, change your tune fellas, you’ve lived there long enough and know darn well the Thai figures are dubious. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn they’re up or beyond the UK. Germany not far off 100k, while Japan many times more than Thai both of which have handled it better. Pointing out obvious flaws in the way Thailand has tested and reported is not bashing. You’re in denial. 

Another secondary way to measure whether there have been unreported Covid Deaths in Thailand is to keep an eye on Thailands mortility rate per 100 000 people on a month by month basis. The total death rate statistics per month are in line with pre-covid times. Surprising, as I had thought that there might be a noticable spike for 2021 and there wasn't any noticable increase in monthly deaths. I'm not sure who controls the counting and release of that particilar statistic bit it seems to me that death rates are relatively stable. I don't believe the daily covid count due to lack of testing but thats another matter. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

In July 2021, yes they have done much better. 

A higher vaccinated population and far less deaths. Coming out of lockdown. That's better. Who cares about the number of cases? Covid is like the Flu now in the UK. That's pretty much the end game.

How can Thailand, or any of the countries in SE Asia (let alone the rest of the Indian sub-continent and Africa) do better? For almost all of this year and last, little to no vaccine supplies were available and they are just now coming on line and available for purchase by non-Western nations. Thailand is procuring what's available and should have enough to vaccinate its population by the end of this year or early next. Therefore, Thailand is about 6-9 months behind the UK/USA and in the throes of the pandemic bit it will soon be past the worst of it and begin a return to normality in the West.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

never got tested but would like an antibody test to see if I have actually been infected before - very hard to find for some reason  

The UK have some going spare.

Found to be insufficiently accurate by a laboratory at Oxford University, half a million of the tests are now gathering dust in storage. Another 1.5 million bought at a similar price from other sources have also gone unused. The fiasco has left embarrassed British officials scrambling to get back at least some of the money.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/world/europe/coronavirus-antibody-test-uk.html

1 hour ago, Kwaibill said:

1918 flu epidemic was similar, though I think concern was a bit diluted by WWl. Now we have vaccines for flu of many strains, and we have learned to live with it.

I forsee future annual "Covid season", where the medical folks take their best guess which strains will be dominant and tailor that years jabs to suit.

it will be a brave new world, climate change, mass starvation, covid, leading to ever more repressive governments, economic uncertainty  and who knows what else.  a dying planet has taken its revenge.  glad i will be checking out soon.  would not like to be young now.  yet people keep breeding.  madness.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What do you mean?

On quick check,

Deaths in UK = 129,000

Deaths in Thailand = 3,000

Are you just Thai bashing or is there something I can't see here? 

You see, it’s a tale of two halves. Using stats from when Covid started to the current day, there isn’t anything that you don’t see.

But if you use stats from 1st April this year  until now, a quite different picture emerges. That’s because most people know that the UK messed up it’s Covid response in every way possible during 2020 and paid the price with horrendous death figures. But then they initiated a big lockdown and more importantly kicked off a very successful vaccination campaign. From April 2021 the UK has seen lower death figures than Thailand I believe.

The reality of Thailand’s Covid response in 2021 is what you see and read in this thread. I’m not sure if that is Thai bashing or not, but the facts and figures for Thai cases, hospitalizations, ICU and deaths are here, as are vaccination numbers. We all draw our own conclusions I guess.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The UK have some going spare.

Found to be insufficiently accurate by a laboratory at Oxford University, half a million of the tests are now gathering dust in storage. Another 1.5 million bought at a similar price from other sources have also gone unused. The fiasco has left embarrassed British officials scrambling to get back at least some of the money.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/world/europe/coronavirus-antibody-test-uk.html

Since that was an article from a year ago they might have ditched them by now.

• Haha 2

The UK pandemic was 3 to 4 months ahead of Thailand & about the same population.

Agree that the vaccine rollout here has been very bad but there is a long way to go before deaths & infections

come anywhere near the UK figures & frankly even Thailand will not "stuff it up" as badly as Boris's crew did

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The UK pandemic was 3 to 4 months ahead of Thailand & about the same population.

Agree that the vaccine rollout here has been very bad but there is a long way to go before deaths & infections

come anywhere near the UK figures & frankly even Thailand will not "stuff it up" as badly as Boris's crew did

Covid was in Thailand before it was in the U.K.

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So what about the vaccines the US donated? What about the ones India offered that were refused? Thailand isn't isn't a charity case, it has plenty of money it just chooses to spend it on submarines and other corruption projects. Not the West's fault.

It's time for Thailand (and it's apologists) to stop playing the victim, man up and use it's plentiful resources to vaccinate it's population.

You may want to check the news...the cabinet has shelved the navy's submarine purchase for the time being. And what about them...my understanding is the US donation of a couple million vaccine doses is being gratefully accepted (though it doesn't move the needle much).

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

65 ....... had COVID right at the start in Jan 2019.... correction Jan 2020 ..... after mixing with Chinese at Chiang Mai/Saigon airports. My family all had it the next week when I returned, this was before the world was scared.

Yeah, back in 1971 while I was working in chlore production plant, to pay for my education, I kept that lingering cough too. Must have been Covid, I was wrong to blame the leaky electrolysis cells.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

65 ....... had COVID right at the start in Jan 2019.... correction Jan 2020 ..... after mixing with Chinese at Chiang Mai/Saigon airports. My family all had it the next week when I returned, this was before the world was scared.

Nasty lingering cough was about the worst of it.

Good for you. You were a lot luckier than the 4.1 million who have died from it so far.

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

But in fairness, they do millions of tests and the deaths in the UK have plummeted.

You can't stop people getting Covid, you can only stop them dying of it and then learn to live with Covid. Which is what the UK's vaccination process has done.

Thailand on the other hand....

Are they doing Anything ???

Is there really any need for police in the street in Thailand to be armed with weapons that size? Is there a war on?

This will only provoke media attention of the unwelcome kind - which it has done already!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Covid was in Thailand before it was in the U.K.

It sure was, as you would suspect, with the proximity to China, and the large Chinese visitor numbers in Thailand.

However, at the start why was there a big outbreak in the UK but, supposedly, not in Thailand?