BBC report Thai Covid crisis latest - who's going to visit Thailand after reading that?

webfact

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

65 ....... had COVID right at the start in Jan 2019.... correction Jan 2020 ..... after mixing with Chinese at Chiang Mai/Saigon airports. My family all had it the next week when I returned, this was before the world was scared.

Nasty lingering cough was about the worst of it.

If you did not get tested how do you know anyone had it?

• Like 2

Thailand’s opening is coming as scheduled. We got high-positioned assurances in the past few days/weeks. However, the deterrence in the form of multiple PCR-tests will be a major obstacle, as each of those tests could imprison you in a covid penitentiary and ruin the holiday. I can see a lot of travelers in my country heading back to Thailand starting from November if that obstacle is removed, there is no fear of covid here, people stopped worrying long ago. The worry of a holiday ruined by a positive test is much more real than a serious illness.

1 minute ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

sputnik vax= zero reliable (western) data.......you can go first.

assumed completely useless against Delta , like Sinovac.......

You seem to unaware of such a common thing as competitors. Coca-Cola will never approve Pepsi-Cola and you will not see AMD processors inside computers of Intel stuff. So Sputnik V will never appear in the US. This is a very natural thing called "competitors". And the US officials have said so many times that Russia and China are the competitors of the US that it is far time to suspect that it is true.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Who said American taxpayers should pay for Thailand's vaccination program?

You were moaning that the couple of million donated vaccines wouldn't move the needle much. A bit of gratitude wouldn't go a miss. What were you expecting? The whole programme to be paid for? A blank cheque? A few container loads delivered to one of Prayut's mansions in a horse drawn golden carriage with a dozen Rolexes for the fatman? The West owes Thailand nothing, it was their new best Sino mates that created this mess with their attempted coverup and lies.

This is nothing to do with the West hoarding vaccines. The West is clearing up the whole mess by creating and manufacturing effective vaccines. Thailand created their own debacle, now they can live with it. Stop trying to blame the West for everything, it's pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Which countries in South East Asia are not suffering a Covid surge? The problem is lack of availability sufficient vaccines. What is the situation in China are they vaccinating or selling their vaccines to other countries. Realistically Thailand is not ready to open for tourism lets hope things will improve to catch the December/January high season without quarantine.

• Haha 1

Just now, Dialemco said:

Realistically Thailand is not ready to open for tourism lets hope things will improve to catch the December/January high season without quarantine.

Thailand has enough vaccines for Phuket which is the main tourist destination.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What do you mean?

On quick check,

Deaths in UK = 129,000

Deaths in Thailand = 3,000

Are you just Thai bashing or is there something I can't see here? 

Are UK deaths accurate, almost certainly

Are Thailand deaths accurate almost certainly not

5-10x more deaths than being reported would be more plausible and consistent with other countries

4 hours ago, Exploring Thailand said:

He means the death rate has plummeted.  Currently the UK has 4-5 times the number of new infections Thailand has, but a quarter of the new deaths. It has a much higher percentage of people vaccinated and is vaccinating the remaining people more quickly.

All that said, I'm not sure I agree with the policy to throw away all precautions. They have removed the requirements to wear a mask, for example. People can still go about their daily lives while wearing a mask.

This is the only way to move out of this COVID quagmire.  Vaccinate a large percentage of the country and open up.  

Vaccination is not inoculation and was never meant to be. 

Vaccination will reduce COVID symptoms for the vast majority to a level that is non-life threatening. 

Some will still die as they choose not to be vaccinated and some may just not be able to be vaccinated sadly.  We cannot achieve a perpetual 0% death rate.  It's unrealistic and unsustainable. 

The right vaccinations (excluding Sinovac) I am guessing, can reduce the death count to something on par or even less than the usual influenza virus mortality rates, that kill hundreds of thousands globally each year.  That is acceptable, as it has been for centuries.

For those who still want perpetual lockdowns (they are likely also unaffected financially) you can wear a mask and stay inside for the rest of your lives.  

The only criticism to the UK comes from some epidemiologists whom consider the percentage of the population vaccinated should have been greater. 

Some advocate a lockdown until 80-90% vaccination rate.  But, an uptake to that percentage means a high compliance. 

It is already very apparent that there are considerable numbers of 'anti-vaxxers'.  So reaching a high % as recommended may be unrealistic.  Maybe the 50-60% is really the best that can be done. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Glad to hear they did not get sick.  But could be a different story with delta which is more contagious and strikes faster and harder. 

That is the present info we are being fed. Where is the proof? Puddings, I see no puddings.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Strange, the government have stopped white screening Trues news channels whenever there is any news about Thailand, I wonder why? Just a few weeks ago I endured a  five minute white-out, And the news wasn't even about Thailand, I guess the person who press the button fell asleep on the button or something.

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Scottie12 said:

Yesterday was ‘Freedom Day’ in England, just watch the figures go through the roof, Thai TV should then do a programme on Covid in the U.K.

yep, wait until Boris does his usual 180 on that, lockdowns coming up for the UK in the coming weeks ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Rumbold said:

American taxpayers likely paid for the vaccines, no?

If your referring to the couple million donated doses then yes...but that hardly constitutes Thailand's vaccination "program." The vaccines weren't asked for and my assumption is the US administration is providing vaccines to a number of countries. (Keep in mind that Thailand is a non-NATO treaty ally of the United States as well.)

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

18 minutes ago, Ginner said:

Didn't the Government refuse free vaccine as it would have put Thailand on the poor country list?

That´s no longer a problem, my friend. They have managed to accomplish that without Covax. ????

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

But in fairness, they do millions of tests and the deaths in the UK have plummeted.

You can't stop people getting Covid, you can only stop them dying of it and then learn to live with Covid. Which is what the UK's vaccination process has done.

Thailand on the other hand....

Are about to learn the lesson the hard way.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You were moaning that the couple of million donated vaccines wouldn't move the needle much. A bit of gratitude wouldn't go a miss.

I believe I said the donated vaccine doses were gratefully received...how much more fealty does the US require from a non-NATO treaty ally?

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Ohh dear poor ole Prayut aint gonna like that, he will ban the BBC for telling the truth.

Great photo cop standing there with a bloody BIG gun, if that does not frighten tourists away nothing will.

They'll spin it as a means of delivering a vaccination to those that don't already have one.

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What do you mean?

On quick check,

Deaths in UK = 129,000

Deaths in Thailand = 3,000

Are you just Thai bashing or is there something I can't see here? 

1 thing to say , the length of the period of people getting sick and infected and dying is much shorter because when it broke out everywhere else , here it was quit quiet . But lets not judge untill it has been here ramping the same period of time and then see what the results are . 1 thing we all cannot dissagree on is that the vaccination program here is 1 big hoax at the moment and needs to be ramped up fast and with proper vaccines. Also don't forget that nr of tests done in UK and here in Thailand are not comparable because Thailand is also way behind on that one . 

• Like 2

Thailand has been in the news for a good while now, lack of vaccins, the photos of field hospitals etc. Etc. The latest articles were not only on the BBC , but other channels, SKY, CNN,  not to mention all the travel forums and FB. I’ve seen it on French tv. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Almost as bad as the numbers in the vaccinated UK.

Current daily average UK new infections 37k

Cases in the UK | Coronavirus in the UK (data.gov.uk)

Apples and Oranges when you compare now deaths and vaccinations in July 2021 between the two countries.

One has a successful vaccination aerogramme and is moving their country in a direction with constant input by scientists and doctors at the top of their profession.

The other is Thailand, adopting the ' Head in the sand ' approach to go with their sandbox programme.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Doesn't matter if you're anti-vax or pro-vax in Thailand.

There's none to be had!

100% right , if there where enough good vaccines a much higher percentage would be reached because a lot aren't anti vaxxers they are just told by friends and family not to take the non working chinese c.r.a.p. 

• Like 1