Immigration "tea Money"

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He is not applying for a extension so the 2 months in the bank is not required.

Ah OK. I'm clearly not up to speed on the requirements. Forgot about Claus #7, or just assumed it had to be seasoned.

But our assumption is that he is using the 800,000 method?

And, if I change from tourist visa exemption, or other short-term extension, or a COVID extension to the initial 90-day Non-O, the 800,000 has to be in the bank prior to applying? Could be deposited (transferred in from outside of Thailand) the day before? 

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The main one to obtain a non O retirement is to have 800k in Thai bank account in your name only on the day you apply (if using money in bank method).

You would also need to show that money came from overseas.

Which office is that in, or is it a new requirement?

I never, ever had to prove where the money in my bank book came from.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Which office is that in, or is it a new requirement?

I never, ever had to prove where the money in my bank book came from.

You only need to prove where money came from for your non O (retirement) application. 

It is not required for ongoing extensions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Claus #7 refers to Claus #5, which references Evidence of foreign currency transferred to Thailand.

I assume he may have that proof if using the money in the bank option. The office I mentioned does not go by that rule. It is not enough to satisfy them. They insist it has to be in the bank for 2 months.

We need more info from the OP.

14 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

I'm sorry but I would not pay that... I wouldn't pay anything, not a bean! My guess is that if you go along with this kind of thing in the first place and they will try it on more and more. You kinda making your bed as the saying goes. Next time you record them on your phone asking for a bribe and then after that you have nothing to worry about.

You either haven't been here long or not even in the country....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Is it safe to say that this is not Bangkok/CW?

I found quite a few threads/posts re: this 15,000 bribe, but no details on the office(s).

I don't think it wise to state offices, I know of one IO who keeps an eye on "farang media" and those from the donkey sanctuary, no I'm not paranoid and I've been here a long time to tread carefully!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume he may have that proof if using the money in the bank option. The office I mentioned does not go by that rule. It is not enough to satisfy them. They insist it has to be in the bank for 2 months.

We need more info from the OP.

As mentioned all was as should be, funds, from abroad, seasoned, (but not neccessary for first change to under consideration,) bank letter, statements, etc etc 

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Therein lay the problem.

On one hand you have farangs who pay agents 20,000 plus to get them their "illegal" extensions because they don't have the required funds and the IO's get their share.

If you on the other hand have met the requirements you SHOULD take a polite stand with a smile and say, I thought about it and decided that it is not right, please process my application and if it is not approved, please advise the reasons so I can take it from there, i.e. leave that comment open, don't be soft with them, your weakness is their strength.

Should you agree the bribe, you are only making it worse for yourself in the future and everyone else, these clowns need to be put in their places and if you are not big enough of a man, they you deserve what you get, end of story. 

Yes I did take that approach, respectfully stated that it should only cost 1900, was told thats right but they have to apply to another office, cannot do it here!! Asked for discount etc etc, would'nt budge..

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You are fortunate to have the opportunity to use an agent and you certainly should not be discussing it on a public forum least of all complaining about using a system of which you disapprove. It leads you open to accusations of confused hypocrisy.

Who the heck is talking about using an agent...I'll consider the rest of your suggestion and statement, not for long!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

It's all a lie. Tell them to apply for it at another office and give them the 1,900 baht, end of story.

Call their bluff.

Course it was a bloody lie, end of story??? call their bluff!!!! blimey what planet????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you had the 800k baht in the bank and proof it came from abroad that is all that is required other than the proof of it.

The fee for a non-o visa application is 2000 baht. A extension is 1900 baht.

You application is sent to the immigration division headquarters for the region where the office is located for approval. That is not a viable reason wanting more than 2000 baht.

Ah, that does explain part of the story, thanks

2 minutes ago, Pappap said:

Course it was a bloody lie, end of story??? call their bluff!!!! blimey what planet????

Ah seems they do have to send the application to headquarters, my apologies for incorrect suppositions.

• Like 1

I have been here for 25 years – own five condominiums and it is standard practice that I pay an agent approximately 12 to 13,000 Baht per year to satisfy the immigration requirements/sludge fund????‍♂️
I am 54 years of age now. Good luck to everyone ????????????????????????????

Edited by jack7106
Wrong information
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

what is costs? Just made the cost of one call and after that never have had any problems since 2014. The ones who ask for coffee money or tea money even had to give it back including the other food extras.

Call I made was just to the responsible local immigration office and all was smooth arranged in just a few hour. this was not possible under the previous administration that was replaced.

Probably it is the way things are handled by people who complain about this,  my experience business wise as well in private when you ask me based on the experiences over past years I have to conclude that the the 'corruption' levels now are about the same as in the west.

Like in the west it is too they prey on the weak, change your attitude and show respect as well that you asare to be repsected too.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pappap said:

You either haven't been here long or not even in the country....

been here 10 years, do my extension every year...never paid a bribe... not sure what the issue is with my statement. My wifes friend had been going to the same immigration as me... she ended up paying tea money for all sorts of things because once she paid it - it was expected from then on!

• Thanks 1