Immigration "tea Money"

That looks very excessive, but the times are tough ????

I paid 2K for exactly the same, if it was pre covid times I was going just going to refuse to pay...2k would buy me a return trip to Langkawi, the land of the single malt. They actually didn't ask me the exact amount..whatever comes out of my heart I guess lol. It didn't help that I had way more money than the requirements in the bank book, they probably don't see many like this.

I think they didn't like it that low, as it took more than a month to get the non-o ????

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Pappap said:

IO... of course I'm not going to say where, a receipt for a bribe!!!

First, thank you for calling a spade a spade.

Interesting. I've heard of agents facilitating bribes, but hadn't heard of IOs asking directly for one. Did you broach the subject, or did they?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Misty said:

First, thank you for calling a spade a spade.

Interesting. I've heard of agents facilitating bribes, but hadn't heard of IOs asking directly for one. Did you broach the subject, or did they?

They did, said it was cost to change now...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pappap said:

Have been asked to pay 15K

I can second that. Actually, I was even asked for a slightly higher amount. It seems that the general rule is: the larger the province the higher the figures for the brown envelopes. In my case the solution was I moved to one of the smaller neighbouring provinces and tried at this IO (requires a new address, i.e. a rental contract for at least 1 month). The officer at the smaller province IO then recommended me to do a 60-days covid extension first, which  cost me precisely 1900 Baht. Then she explained me the procedure on how to proceed after the 60 days' period, and then just indicated that the "... rookies in this room would be absolutely delighted if you ...", which I happily did and was completely voluntarily, anyway.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Pappap said:

They did, said it was cost to change now...

IMO I would try to engage an agent for around half that price or below. As you satisfy all the conditions for a visa change, it would be easier for them, it theory they don't need to do anything illegal. The agents usually charge more than 15k people who need special visas like Education or Volunteer.

Edited by gearbox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

That looks very excessive, but the times are tough ????

I paid 2K for exactly the same, if it was pre covid times I was going just going to refuse to pay...2k would buy me a return trip to Langkawi, the land of the single malt. They actually didn't ask me the exact amount..whatever comes out of my heart I guess lol. It didn't help that I had way more money than the requirements in the bank book, they probably don't see many like this.

I think they didn't like it that low, as it took more than a month to get the non-o ????

2k is normal price actually 1900 bt or so for a visa. So its normal that change will cost that too.

Edited by robblok

5 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

Report it. Tell them you reported it.

Make the visa in Bangkok.

You contribute to the BS you whine about

It is a system which is played by both sides. There are tons of people who don't qualify for visas, they pay agents way above the real visa and processing costs, with clear knowledge that part of the fee is possibly a bribe.

The cleanest way to get a visa is from a Thai embassy in a western country, the chance of being asked for tea money is close to zero, but then how many "education" and "volunteer" visas these embassies are issuing? Not many...

The OP himself did nothing wrong, he fulfilled all the requirements and had all the paperwork, and obviously he didn't offer any money himself..he can go on a crusade with conversation recording and so on, if he thinks it is worth it.

• Sad 2