Immigration "tea Money"

17 hours ago, gearbox said:

Well, it is Thailand. I consider it as part of the "package". I consider myself "long term tourist", with a maximum 1 year visa, I'm not here to change the country and its people. If demands for bribes increase, I may just move somewhere else.

A lot of people who live on money from abroad probably don't notice it,  but corruption here is widespread. I know by word of mouth about many businesses here in Samui who employ Myanmar people without valid work permits....no need to clarify further how this works.

Exactly- you are paying for a service outside of normal services not a bribe! If you don't like it use an agent!

• Confused 3

If you find a good visa agent it is worth every Baht you pay , they will take care of everything , including 90 day report in this time of COVID-19 . As an older man who grappled with the ever changing marriage visa for years , now on a retirement visa , my agent lifts a great weight off my shoulders , I'm well taken care of . You are not being ripped off , the agent takes care of immigration too .

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Toscano said:

If you find a good visa agent it is worth every Baht you pay , they will take care of everything , including 90 day report in this time of COVID-19 . As an older man who grappled with the ever changing marriage visa for years , now on a retirement visa , my agent lifts a great weight off my shoulders , I'm well taken care of . You are not being ripped off , the agent takes care of immigration too .

Just curious...   as I’m on an Extension of stay based on Marriage (Thai Spouse)....   what has the ‘ever changing’ requirements ???   they all seem simple and easily met....  from a personal perspective something which wouldn’t even have me consider the need for outside assistance. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

yeah me either, perhaps some folks give 'screw me over cues' when they walk into these offices, lol..

I actually tried to offer tea money in nothaburi. I had all the data for a tm30 but they wanted a power of attorney of the home owner (who is in Belgium). Last time they did not want it and this was hard to get. I had her ID all copies signed everything. 

So i offered it and was refused. I would have paid. So I doubt it happens everywhere. 

• Like 2

You could try a different office, i know someone who did that successfully. The office in question usually only asks for a bribe when something isn't done correctly, anyway it's worth going to an agent, i can suggest one and see if it's cheaper, usually it's a 1000 more than immigration want

1 hour ago, Toscano said:

You make a good point about the regulations continually changing.....but they never make the process more efficient for themselves or easier for their customers. Getting a COR now takes 3 days (5 days including the weekend) with hundreds of photocopies and signatures. Where do they file all that paper.....and why don't they ever open a file to check that you live at such and such address. I have lived at the same address for 12 years, and yet time and again I go through his insane rigmarole, why not be done with it and let you have your name put in the blue book? 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, please give the name of the officer. These criminals should be named and shamed. 

OP can not do that as it would be his word against the agents.  Also i am sure he doesnot want to go to court for defamation of Character or slander.

Remembeer that poor hotel owner that did not like the travel recomendation.

• Like 1

Fortunately, dating back as far as 1961, no one in authority in Thailand has ever asked me for tea money. I would certainly consider paying if the issue at hand was critical. Having said that, 15k in this particular case seems a bit steep.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Fortunately, dating back as far as 1961, no one in authority in Thailand has ever asked me for tea money. I would certainly consider paying if the issue at hand was critical. Having said that, 15k in this particular case seems a bit steep.

15,000-20,000 for some visas that need a little extra help is common.  Better than an overstay or having to leave your Thai family behind.

Think of it as the price for a nice weekend in Bangkok (pre-covid).

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Toscano said:

If that gives you peace of mind in your circumstances that's fine and good luck to you.

For me it depends on how much to pay for that peace of mind and is it worth 20 minutes of my time doing the retirement extension myself.

No, as immigration is close to my favourite bar!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

OP can not do that as it would be his word against the agents.  Also i am sure he doesnot want to go to court for defamation of Character or slander.

Remembeer that poor hotel owner that did not like the travel recomendation.

This is not the same, Immigration is part of the police force, not a private company!  

I think everyone agrees that it is wrong and they should be reported. Where to report them is the issue for most people. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

This is not the same, Immigration is part of the police force, not a private company!  

I think everyone agrees that it is wrong and they should be reported. Where to report them is the issue for most people. 

I just want my visa.

I don't want to make waves with immigration.

• Sad 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

And that sentiment is what encourages their extortion. 

Thats me.

If you want to report immigration to the police department go ahead.

Send us postcard from your next destination.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Oh please.

Extortion is an extremely serious offense and trust me, the authorities are clamping down on such activities in the police force, according to a friend of mine, a deputy commissioner of police. 

29 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Extortion is an extremely serious offense and trust me, the authorities are clamping down on such activities in the police force, according to a friend of mine, a deputy commissioner of police. 

According to a friend of mine, there are no stories of any io or police being fined, losing there job, or going to prison.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Khabib said:

According to a friend of mine, there are no stories of any io or police being fined, losing there job, or going to prison.

No, but they are transferred to other offices, which hurts them financially, as well as loss of face. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Khabib said:

In Nonthaburi last year two officers were removed from service when a foreigner prodiced a recording of them asking for a bribe to approve their extension. As to their whereabouts, one can only guess and really nobody gets fired in Thailand, but they are not working in the Nonthaburi office anymore.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/07/26/two-immigration-bureau-officers-in-nonthaburi-suspended-facebook-video-bribe-request/

Edited by tonray
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Many of us never ever need to step into an immigration office. 

Even with an agent doing a legit extension you still need to attend the IO in person for five minutes to get your "final" photo taken!

That is the requirement in CM!

Edited by fangless
CM bit added!
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Pappap said:

Course it was a bloody lie, end of story??? call their bluff!!!! blimey what planet????

If Immigration tried it on me, I would just literally laugh in their face.  

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:
10 hours ago, Khabib said:

No, but they are transferred to other offices, which hurts them financially, as well as loss of face. 

I got that story from an I.O. when my mate asked to see an officer who had been helpful to him, "He not stay now" apparently someone came to make a visa or extension, they were having problems getting it, and obviously had already paid the *tip* they shouted him out in the office, so he was no longer working there, I have no idea if the person got their visa or not.

I dread to think what would happen if I was asked for a bribe if my missus was present, I think they would pay HER to just stop yak yakking them :cheesy::cheesy:. Incidentally on picking up my last extension she waited in the car outside, one female officer came to the car with me and gave her a bag of banana chips. My wife always chats to them, oh your hair is nice, where you come from, oh same me, etc etc.  I normally end up trying to drag her away so we can leave. :cheesy: