Thailand’s vaccine director apologises for ‘slow, inadequate’ vaccine rollout, promises to join COVAX

webfact

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thats not what you asked me though is it, you asked me if I had signed and I replied saying yes anyone could, including you. 

Whether anyone could sign it or not, the petition says  Mor Mai Thon (Doctors Won’t Tolerate It) so as I am not a Thai  doctor, it never crossed my mind to sign it.

For many legal petition/referendum procures in UK or USA, they will reject your name if you do not have proper standing.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Sad 1

Just now, jerrymahoney said:

Whether anyone could sign it or not, the petition says  Mor Mai Thon (Doctors Won’t Tolerate It) so as I am not a Thai  doctor, it never crossed my mind to sign it.

Well now you know, you want the link?

54 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

I just want someone to ask one direct question and to hear a direct answer to this "Why did you not join the COVAX scheme in the first place"? The Thai public needs to know the answer to this... we all need to know... what possible reason could they have formulated for refusing free vaccines when all the neighbouring countries around them were joining and when Thailand's procurement scheme was so flawed. For me, above everything - this needs to be answered.

Answer= $$£€B

No -- the petition has already been presented to Parliament

Its still up for people to sign, its open and 100's are still signing daily, it did not stop at 200k its now at 261k

However its up to you, its a decision I took to sign as a way of support for the Thai population

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

show me a properly published study that supports your personal opinion

Vaccine manufacturers publish their own glowing studies which government regulators rubber stamp.  It should be independent researchers doing the studies then regulator providing due diligence and analysis. Not any more.

Since Covid - the system in regards to vaccine manufacturing no longer works that way.  All you need is an "expert" and invite them on half a dozen prime-time main stream media news shows to share the glowing results from a manufacturer's study or a study by an educational institution unduly pressured by powerful forces, or the "expert's" own studies and "expert opinion", e.g., (Sinovac studies published by Chulalongkorn where roll out Dr Yong in April 2021 states Sinovac is 99.4% effective then later followed up with a joint study between Chulalongkorn and the US’s Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences in June 2021 with a publish study showing only 50% efficacy.  Ok.  Take your pick. 
Yong-99.4%-April2021  https://www.nationthailand.com/life/40000100
Chula-US-50%-June2021  https://aseannow.com/topic/1221228-sinovac-vaccine-develops-over-50-immunity-against-covid-19/

Bottom line is there are huge conflicts of interest which now go ignored as the vaccine industry has successfully engaged in regulatory capture as well as media capture.  
What's true nowadays?  "Truth" is completely fungible.

23 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I think we need to look carefully into the data from India where they have used a lot of AZ but no Sinovac. People have said that many vaccinated medics died from COVID in India but I haven't seen any numbers yet.

Here’s some ‘data’: 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/07/20/1018438334/indias-pandemic-death-toll-estimated-at-about-4-million-10-times-the-official-co

Of course this doesn’t mean that the vaccines aren’t working, only that Indians are dying in very high numbers.

51 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I never said don't speak out. But this is Thailand. Maybe this guy will stay on and maybe he will lose his job tomorrow. If he does get fired, maybe some on here can taker some credit for it.. But maybe what gets said on here will have nothing to do with it. But for now, he is on the job and I would wish him Godspeed.

The mob will rule.  Curfews and lockdowns are designed to keep the voice of the people NOT heard.  He stole the job and conveniently has parleying million of baht (dont ask …he replied to journalists asking where the money came from ). 
people are dying, lives are being devastated with decisions this “General” makes.  He WASNT chosen for his skills.  Godspeed that Thailand gets rid of this fool and has sound leadership to get out of this mess.   Try chatting with Thais…. They will tell you this themselves 

Edited by Bkktodd

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its still up for people to sign, its open and 100's are still signing daily, it did not stop at 200k its now at 261k

However its up to you, its a decision I took to sign as a way of support for the Thai population

Good -- we can support the Thai population in different ways. I have read a copy of the petition as best as I can and it is rather genteel compared to what gets posted on here.,

So the vaccine director can admit complete and utter failure of catastrophic proportions, and apologize, and everything's fine. Nothing to see here folks, we'll do better tomorrow, promise.

But heavens, if an 18 year old singer questions the regime it's off to the police station.

Singer Milli 1st celeb charged for criticizing Thai gov’t following minister’s threat 

Be very careful what you say next, especially when it comes to the government, the internet minister has warned celebs and influencers.

Teen rapper Danupha “Minnie” Kanateerakul, better known as Milli, today became the first celebrity to be charged with a serious crime for criticizing the government on social media. 

With public confidence withering amid a spiraling public health crisis, the nation’s top internet warden, Minister Chaiwut Thanakamanusorn, said Tuesday that public figures who harm the government’s reputation face prosecution under the Computer Crimes Act.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/singer-milli-1st-celeb-charged-for-criticizing-thai-govt-following-ministers-threat/

Amazing Thailand.

Swirling down the bowl, one flush at a time.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, pegman said:

The fall guy. This whole situation is about mandating the manufacture of vaccines for use in Thailand be done in country so the bulk of profits  will go to you know who. If multitudes of lives are lost so be it.

Nailed it, once more Thailand showed its familiar penchant to try and be the hub for everything and in turn pile in the $$ to you know who  as stated. Im surprised the public doesn't protest more about having their health put in as a secondary priority. 

• Thanks 1

Good -- we can support the Thai population in different ways. I have read a copy of the petition as best as I can and it is rather genteel compared to what gets posted on here.,

Well here is far more genteel than gets posted on Thai forums where the Thai's including health practitioners, criticize and show their general disgust at how this has been handled by the government.

5 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

So it couldn't have been forseen nor predicted!! What nonsense and usual non acceptance of blame. 

Many countries foresaw the need for vaccines and placed large orders. The media was awash with forecasts of variants. 

This half hearted excuse is insulting. 

One would have thought with ears like that he would have heard the grass growing long ago.

4 hours ago, pegman said:

The fall guy. This whole situation is about mandating the manufacture of vaccines for use in Thailand be done in country so the bulk of profits  will go to you know who. If multitudes of lives are lost so be it.

No so sure. Astra Zeneca say they provide on a "no-profit" basis. Thailand said it has the capacity to vaccinate 10mm people per month. Deputy Health minister Sathit (28th April) said Siam Bioscience capacity 15 MM per month. But Thai share 3 MM per month (initially). So the difference taken up by Sinovac. No details given on costs and which companies involved in the Sinovac arrangements.  No reason given so far as to why Thailand did not order 10MM doses per month from AZ, so that supply could equal vaccination capacity.

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well here is far more genteel than gets posted on Thai forums where the Thai's including health practitioners, criticize and show their general disgust at how this has been handled by the government.

Thais posting on Thai forums. There was a guy on here who used to post almost every day that the two top guys should get out. Now. Or yesterday.

The Thai forums maybe the same. The two top guys  are still there.

Edited by jerrymahoney

Rubbish Rubbish, without the variants it was going to crumble, no testing ( because didn't want to find)  little or no vaccines ordered and misinformation for many months, this man was told to make the statement and take the flack, now if the czar was to get of his butt and announce a positive step forward that would be progress, wait, no it wouldn't because nobody believes him  anymore and wont in whatever political future he has in the future.

9 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Thais posting on Thai forums.

Yes did you expect anything different, a Thai forum is normally dominated by Thai posters

Nice EDIT to your post I notice after you read this  555555

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

It is unwise for foreigners to get involved in Thai politics, signing a petition is a political act.

• Like 1

What a joke, not to know that there would be mutations. Everybody who has a little understanding of such viruses knew from the very beginning that there would be mutations. It was nothing that anybody had to "predict" it was common knowledge and he is lying or just pretending, but it all comes down to simple lack of professional planning and management and to make matters worse, this still continues. Why does all the procurement has to go through the GOP? After all the failures of this administration, they should not prevent all those companies and organisations that are willing to step in and procure vaccines on their own to get people out of the mess, but no, the Government still seems to consider keeping face and control to be more important than the life of their people and the economic recovery.

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Thank you. However for some, this IS their life.

Posting for you might be a bore because your voice wont matter.  Many of us are in relationships (living in Thailand).  Our families  have been directly affected with this government screwup.  So this IS real for many of us as well.  This forum is for getting insight into daily events and for expats that need assistance.  I try to ignore the doom and gloom know it alls or negativity.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

His job was an army general….coup leader. Lining his pockets (and his family’s  too). Sit back and watch Thailand go into flames because inept “leadership”.  Blame game and lost touch with everyday Thais.  But dont worry. He and his cronies all got double vaxed and not with cr@p chinese vaccines

I was talking with my wife yesterday about this.  To paraphrase her she said that virtually every Thai in the country, with perhaps the exceptions of die-hard Bangkok yellow-shirts supporters, understand exactly who is doing what, who's in charge, what's actually is going on, and who's to blame. But - big problem for Thai people is they can't speak out publicly.  This does get discussed at the grass-roots level.  People talk among themselves, not on social media.  Face to face discussions.  Personal discussions like the type that are being labelled as "Covid spreading" and "should be avoided according to the rules" (hummm). Average Thai are not happy.  But they all put on their happy Thai faces and underneath their cool, calm demeanor the pressure cooker with a broken release valve simmers ever so slowly and inexorably.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

So whatever the gent may have done wrong or insufficient in the past, why not just sit back and let him do his job as best he can now. Because it is HIS job, not yours.

What nonsense. Just sit back and never criticize anybody or anything, regardless how stupid and messed up. They have completely mismanaged the vaccine procurement and the whole pandemic response management this year and you just say, never mind, just let him continue doing (failing) his job? He has proven that they are not up to the job and it is high time for changes to take place, but this will not be possible unless there will be another coup.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The mutations (of the virus) were something that could not be predicted, which have caused a more rapid spread than last year.

However the "science" of mutations was spoken of right from the beginning - it is a pity no one told the PM in strong enough terms so that vaccines could of been ordered and additional vaccine production plants built.