Thailand’s vaccine director apologises for ‘slow, inadequate’ vaccine rollout, promises to join COVAX

webfact

23 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Yes -- I am an American. :These two are from an American university: Dr. Akiko Iwasaki and Dr. Ruslan Medzhitov are professors of immunobiology at Yale.

"Among the viruses that have become endemic in humans, some have also figured out ways to dodge the adaptive immune system: H.I.V.-1 mutates rapidly; herpes viruses deploy proteins that can trap and incapacitate antibodies."

"Thankfully, SARS-CoV-2 does not seem to have evolved any such tricks yet — suggesting that we still have an opportunity to stem its spread and the pandemic by pursuing a relatively straightforward vaccine approach."

So the statement in the OP "The mutations (of the virus) were something that could not be predicted, which have caused a more rapid spread than last year" was one that was shared at least by some in the academic community.

"So the statement in the OP "The mutations (of the virus) were something that could not be predicted, which have caused a more rapid spread than last year" was one that was shared at least by some in the academic community."

That's correct in July 2020 until Sept came........................

Science rapidly moved on from that study in July 2020 when Alpha was discovered in Sept 2020 just 2 months later. 

Soon after it was officially named a variant of concern by the UK evidenced by its rapid spread and subsequent rapid spread throughout multiple countries, not long after the South African variant was also declared a VOC.

So to say the mutations could not have been predicted is just untrue, they had evidence in front of their eyes but still did not prepare accordingly.

20 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

In a Race Against an Ever-Changing Virus, Are We Losing Ground?
Laird Harrison

July 21, 2021

A year ago, scientists looking at the future of the COVID-19 pandemic felt optimistic. Vaccine development was zooming toward unprecedented achievement. And unlike the viruses that cause influenza or AIDS, they thought, this virus — SARS-CoV-2 — couldn't mutate to evade the fully primed human immune system.

"Thankfully, SARS-CoV-2 does not seem to have evolved any such tricks yet — suggesting that we still have an opportunity to stem its spread and the pandemic by pursuing a relatively straightforward vaccine approach," wrote two Yale University immunologists in a July 31, 2020, essay for The New York Times.

Those were the days.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/955176

Yes, the Covid 19 virus has not yet found a way to evade the "fully primed" immune system, so it has been urgent to get people vaccinated/"fully primed" ASAP for some time now.  Laird Harrison, an author and student of creative writing (not a doctor) got that right.

How does this absolve the Thai government of responsibility for failing to procure and inject vaccines while it had virus transmission under control?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

Yes, the Covid 19 virus has not yet found a way to evade the "fully primed" immune system, so it has been urgent to get people vaccinated/"fully primed" ASAP for some time now.  Laird Harrison, an author and student of creative writing (not a doctor) got that right.

How does this absolve the Thai government of responsibility for failing to procure and inject vaccines while it had virus transmission under control?

Beats me.

"Mutations unforseen"..Is this guy really medically trained?

One of first lessons in virology : virus mutates.

Poor thais, I really feel for them.

Now, they see, corruption(which favours incompetence) kills.

Hope they wake up

On 7/22/2021 at 8:40 AM, Pravda said:

Please let the forum know which hiso private hospital you got vaccine for yourself and your family.

My comments were in relation to medical and hospital treatment in general.

If you cared to keep yourself abreast of what is happening rather than making ill informed comments you would be aware that vaccines  for Covid are not available through private hospitals unless you want Sinovac which I understand are being administered on behalf of the government.

I obtained my AZ vaccine as did several expat friends from our “ hi so” government hospital in Northern Chiang Province as did hundreds of Thais in the same age group.

The family have to wait as they are too young.

On 7/22/2021 at 6:57 AM, Nip said:

You should have quit when you were behind. 

Gee almost 20 likes to the above. And a bunch more elsewhere. From the movie The Sting:

Johnny Hooker: I gave him the breakout just like you said.

Henry Gondorff: And?

Johnny Hooker: 'S good. He threatened to kill me.

Henry Gondorff: Hell, kid, they don't do that, you know you're not getting to 'em.

Comments of Dr. Richard Brown at the JUKLY 23 EU?WHO Bngkok Conference:

“Thailand has done very well. Despite the success, the main reason (for the current situation) is the emergence of new variants. It is my belief that not everyone anticipated what would happen and its impact,” Dr Brown said.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-shifts-strategies-joins-covax-strengthens-public-health-to-battle-covid-19/

Edited by jerrymahoney

17 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Gee almost 20 likes to the above. And a bunch more elsewhere. From the movie The Sting:

Johnny Hooker: I gave him the breakout just like you said.

Henry Gondorff: And?

Johnny Hooker: 'S good. He threatened to kill me.

Henry Gondorff: Hell, kid, they don't do that, you know you're not getting to 'em.

Comments of Dr. Richard Brown at the JUKLY 23 EU?WHO Bngkok Conference:

“Thailand has done very well. Despite the success, the main reason (for the current situation) is the emergence of new variants. It is my belief that not everyone anticipated what would happen and its impact,” Dr Brown said.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-shifts-strategies-joins-covax-strengthens-public-health-to-battle-covid-19/

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti Amen.