Thailand to accelerate vaccine rollout to all foreigners aged over 60

webfact

5 hours ago, club said:

You dont need to be a rocket scientist to know mixing a weak  Sinovac with AZ is not a good idea

It's telling that you think a rocket scientist's knowledge would have some relevance here. An epidemiologist or virologist would tell you that your assumption is B.S.

• Like 1

About one week ago they were taking applications in Pattaya for the next round of vaccinations. 

Telack put in both of our names which had to be submitted in Thai only.  She was accepted but the date is still up in the air.

I was rejected.  She submitted a copy of my retirement visa, my yellow book, my pink Thai identification card but I got the red rejection with one word, written in Thai of course, "Foreigner".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

An ASEAN NOW reporter of that age successfully registered in minutes. 

Hey!  Actual reporting!  Usually reporters just tell us what the official pronouncement is, and maybe a few other peoples' opinions.  Rarely do they actually check facts.  Kudos. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wardje said:

My Thai wife living in Belgium will receive her second shot of Pfizer next week. She's not even in a risk group, but she was invited by authorities without asking for it. And all this is free of charge. Priorities seem to be different. Health of the population vs. pocket lining.

My Thai wife (under 40) is getting her 2nd jab of Moderna next Saturday in Ireland. 26 days after the 1st Moderna jab, even though 28 days was advised. I got my 2nd jab of Moderna a few weeks back. All free as well for both of us

22 hours ago, webfact said:

A letter issued by the Ministry of Public Health on Tuesday has told all provincial health staff throughout Thailand to vaccinate all people in three high risk groups.

Followed by a request from said provincial health staff, saying please provide the vaccines and we will do it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Chris.B said:

"It applied to residents of the capital and surrounding areas."

How about foreigners upcountry? What are they supposed to do? ☹️☹️

I'm in one of the surrounding provinces, a deep red zone now.

Inside the age group with no health issues.

3 times I've been to my local [large] government hospital to register... 3 times I've been turned away

they won't even take my details.

14 hours ago, dutchweller said:

How's that SANDBOX going for you Thailand?

Well worth getting all those people Vaxinated there right?

The scale of incompetence is astonishing.

Its quite obvious those who are pretending to be in charge have absolutely no idea or SHAME..

Its always been about money not health, I think now being its too late, they do now see the mess they have created....

6 hours ago, WISteve said:

About one week ago they were taking applications in Pattaya for the next round of vaccinations. 

Telack put in both of our names which had to be submitted in Thai only.  She was accepted but the date is still up in the air.

I was rejected.  She submitted a copy of my retirement visa, my yellow book, my pink Thai identification card but I got the red rejection with one word, written in Thai of course, "Foreigner".

Reminds me of the first Pattaya lockdown, way back early in 2020.... chatting to a pal on a deserted Beach Rd, a working lady joined us looking for business and very unhappy. Then another Thai lady on a bicycle...... talked to  street girl and gave her  free face-masks... what about us we asked, not for falangs, was the response!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I'm in one of the surrounding provinces, a deep red zone now.

Inside the age group with no health issues.

3 times I've been to my local [large] government hospital to register... 3 times I've been turned away

they won't even take my details.

Another horrendous blunder there is not a 'target groups' for the UNDER 60 with any listed underlying conditions. I fled BKK months ago, under 60 and waiting on AZ#2 ( lucky ), In BKK I would be unvaccinated and now having them try to persuade me the Sinovac/AZ cocktail - NOPE.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:35 AM, George Bowman said:

The local hospital out here in the boonies has started vaccinating people over the age of 60. Since I’m over that threshold,  yesterday I decided to see if I could receive whatever vaccine. Basically, the officials said they were not allowed to vaccinate anyone other than Thais, but I could ask the Phitsanulok provincial authorities if they would give permission. 

Unfortunately, they also said no and then offered some advice on how to proceed. It was then explained that as a ‘farang’ I could pay for the vaccine from a private hospital sometime in the future. Furthermore, they said the blame for no available vaccine was really America’s fault. Why? When the US government donated the 1.5 million doses of the vaccine to Thailand, they did not stipulate that any was to be given to American citizens...

On the other hand, two foreigners I know here have both been vaccinated already, at the local hospital.  I haven't spoken to them since they had their jab so I don't know how they did it.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:58 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Why not just open it up to all adults to get vaccinated.  Many under 60 seem to be getting infected and even dying.  Yet it was important to vaccinate those under 60 in the Sandbox and the Samui+ locales.  Boggles the mind actually, and yes I know that those over 60 are high risk but so are those under 60 that have underlying conditions 

Just been listening to the BBC. Confirms this view. It is a mistake to prioritise the elderly most vulnerable. More effective if you use those limited vaccines to vaccinate the younger more mobile people. These will have the knock on effect of spreading less virus to the older people. A mixed vaccination approach will be most successful and reduce the chance of virus variant outbreaks. This is from an Oxford Uni epidemioligist.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, placnx said:

You can see a table on second page of this thread which shows that nearly half of foreigners already vaccinated are Burmese. This may only relate to Bangkok area.

Yes, no doubt!  But George Bowman was told that there was no instruction given to vaccinate American citizens; a bit naughty really, considering where the vaccine came from.

The Scapegoats illegal immigrants Burmese and Americans are all foreigners, but the Burmese are employed to do the jobs that Thais won't do, so they are higher-up on the list, above soi dogs and expats.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lapun said:

Channel 9 News reported that Australia is exporting 600,000 doses to Pacific countries, 2.5 million to Indonesia & 1.5 million to Vietnam. 

image.png.c198789203e1d76b89f4a7511ef831f8.png

Yet Australia is lagging behind quite a lot in the vaccination stakes.

Those stats are <deleted>.

Try using stats that are based on per capita.

3.5 million out of 70 million Thailand 

3 million out of 25 million 

Australia

Or number vaxinated per 100 population ???? 

Screenshot_20210723-102828_Brave.jpg

19 hours ago, Strongheart said:

From your link:

We are in a data-free, evidence-free zone as far as mix and match. There is limited data on mix and match,” she said, cautioning that it could become a “chaotic situation” in countries where citizens decide to take “a second, or a third, or a fourth dose.”

You are referring go a political recommendation. In the "First Post nation State" this might fly for now but my relatives in Canada told me recently they are not allowed to enter the US with a mix & match vaccine.

Mix-and-Match Vaccines Provide Strong Immunity Against Covid, Study Finds https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/06/28/world/covid-vaccine-coronavirus-mask/

23 hours ago, John Drake said:

I suppose that is something to consult with a physician on. I see here on TVF and elsewhere claims that a "booster" of sorts is okay 90 days after last vaccination. But, yes, I would surely look for an authoritative answer before taking the second shot. I just hate to think of someone completely unprotected for the next six months or more, waiting for Moderna.

The way I look at it is get what you can now, as I want to travel etc then when the good stuff comes here in 2024 or whenever get that too, 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, judokrab said:

Re "large numbers of us who did register early on have had a least one shot of AZ."
The numbers cannot be very large. Only 1.3% of the people in Chiang Mai have been vaccinated, and the queue has nearly 300,000 people on it. No-one I know has been vaccinated (unless they got it though their work).

Re "It is only in the last week or so that people have said one can now register with just a Passport."
Not true ... I and others I know registered two months ago using just our passports.

You are way off with your Vaccination figures; as of last night just over 10% of people in Chiang Mai Province have been Vaccinated.    The amount of people we know living in our Village who have recieved first shot exceeds 1.3% by a mile !

I didn't state the Passport news as fact; i just stated that 'people have said'.

Seems to be that the smaller the urban catchment the easier it is.

But just tell be please where to successfully and confirmed register in Pattaya. All I hear is "no have" (an expression that drives me nuts).

This holds true even for my Thai wife. She thinks she has registered in person and online but without any confirmation - no feedback at all.

Edited by moogradod

10 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Just been listening to the BBC. Confirms this view. It is a mistake to prioritise the elderly most vulnerable. More effective if you use those limited vaccines to vaccinate the younger more mobile people. These will have the knock on effect of spreading less virus to the older people. A mixed vaccination approach will be most successful and reduce the chance of virus variant outbreaks. This is from an Oxford Uni epidemioligist.

It's pretty complicated. It would work if using Pfizer or Moderna, but then a substantial percentage of the young, perhaps chosen from those with elderly family, would need to be vaccinated. A weak vaccine would let these young people get infected and spread Covid to elders. Vaccinating elders with a weak vaccine is not that good, either, if it helps the virus mutate by selection pressure. Ideally, vulnerable people should be checked after second jab to see whether they have developed sufficient immunity.

A letter from one head office to another head office is pretty useless when IN THE FIELD there are signs saying "Thai nationals only" as there is in Hua Hin. A friend of mine fronted up there for his appointment for Jab #1 and was turned away and told "have no vaccine".

• Thanks 1