Thailand to accelerate vaccine rollout to all foreigners aged over 60

webfact

6 hours ago, George Bowman said:

The local hospital out here in the boonies has started vaccinating people over the age of 60. Since I’m over that threshold,  yesterday I decided to see if I could receive whatever vaccine. Basically, the officials said they were not allowed to vaccinate anyone other than Thais, but I could ask the Phitsanulok provincial authorities if they would give permission. 

Unfortunately, they also said no and then offered some advice on how to proceed. It was then explained that as a ‘farang’ I could pay for the vaccine from a private hospital sometime in the future. Furthermore, they said the blame for no available vaccine was really America’s fault. Why? When the US government donated the 1.5 million doses of the vaccine to Thailand, they did not stipulate that any was to be given to American citizens...

I knew all along this was all Americas fault lol! 

Edited by ThaiFelix

2 hours ago, scpchris said:

This is so sad. The world is helping Thailand with the vaccines and the American government has given 1.5 million Pfizer vaccines to the Thai government.

Garbage. The US and many more of the rich nations refused to sign the waiver on the intellectual property rights when it was proposed last November. The move would have opened the door to increased global production but maintaining profits for the major pharmaceuticals took priority.

Now they have got their fill of vaccines, some are just pretending to be the good guys.

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Over 60s get AZ.

Sorry Moonlover, what you wrote was happening a few weeks ago, but not now.

I am 73 & from the UK but now married & living in Buriram.

I went with my wife,& Father-Law to the Buriram Football Stadium on Tuesday 20/07/21 expecting the AZ jab, but was told that I had to have Sinovac first & then the AZ on the 10/08/21 given no choice except have Sinovac or go home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lelapin said:

If a person over 80 has 2 Astra jabs and waits the required 2 weeks or so for it to be fully affective, what is their chances of then dying from Covid?

About the same as dying of old age.

• Haha 1

...well seeing as they have now signed up with COVAX (co-led by Gavi, the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) and WHO.); they have no choice but to do this and get moving with vaccinating all citizens.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, George Bowman said:

Basically, the officials said they were not allowed to vaccinate anyone other than Thais, but I could ask the Phitsanulok provincial authorities if they would give permission. 

Unfortunately, they also said no and then offered some advice on how to proceed. It was then explained that as a ‘farang’ I could pay for the vaccine from a private hospital sometime in the future.

I live in Phetchabun Province, just south of you, and I and other Farangs signed up online using the Mor Prom app and got their vaccine shot with Thais. I got mine on June 7, the second day it was available to anyone here in Phetchabun. 

I am a US citizen, 75, and have a Thai ID "pink card." 

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

I remember reading that the 1.5m doses donation to Thailand was with the condition that 20% was for foreigners.

Perhaps you'd like to send a memo to Capital Hill.

You can see a table on second page of this thread which shows that nearly half of foreigners already vaccinated are Burmese. This may only relate to Bangkok area.

Edited by placnx
info correction

1 hour ago, onekoolguy said:

That's what they are offering here in Hua Hin. The problem now is that Since 9 July the Que is at around 3200 and has not moved as of last night? I'm at 10,900+ .

I guess they just are not getting any vaccine here?

They seem to update the list over the weekend, the current list was posted on Saturday 17th for vaccinating yesterday (20th) and goes up to 7396.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lelapin said:

If a person over 80 has 2 Astra jabs and waits the required 2 weeks or so for it to be fully affective, what is their chances of then dying from Covid?

About .1%, but more to the point, about 95.5% less than if they hadn't had the jabs...

(These are my "guesstimates," not anything taken from any official sources.)

Edited by billsmart

21 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

I knew all along this was all Americas fault lol! 

US has not yet even figured out that to end this pandemic, the world needs to be fully vaccinated, not the Covax 20%. Biden & Co should have set out after the election to plan an effective response. What did we get? July 4th as 'Mission Accomplished" day! Good luck. How many variants will succeed Delta as variant of the month? US should set an example for the rest of G7 to follow. Thailand and other countries in need would then have enough vaccine to end this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A post with trolling comments directed to another member has been removed.

A post with a link to the Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

A post using a trolling image has been removed. 

Edited by metisdead

This is all rubbish of the highest order. A letter dated 6 months ago. The MOPH saying that because the donation did not specify US citizens, a vaccination cannot be given to them. Only those persons resident of or able to get to Bangkok can register and/or get vaccinated...  No doubt, work permit or pink ID card or other restrictive method for excluding foreigners will prevail. 

Words fail me. Well, not really, but most of what I am thinking is unprintable and would probably land me a ban from here and jail from the authorities.

18 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Garbage. The US and many more of the rich nations refused to sign the waiver on the intellectual property rights when it was proposed last November. The move would have opened the door to increased global production but maintaining profits for the major pharmaceuticals took priority.

Now they have got their fill of vaccines, some are just pretending to be the good guys.

I agree with you on the timing of the "magnanimous" donation, but waiver will not solve the problem anytime soon. There has been licensing of qualified producers in developing countries already. To make more vaccine, it would be more efective to construct facilities in the US, hopefully in other G7 in a similar time frame. Private industry, wherever located, cannot fill the void.

I am wondering if there are long term effects if your first shot is Sinovac, than a Astra and another booster of Pfizer/Moderna or Novavax.  I don't think that mixing all kind of vaccines is good for your health. So better wait for Astra/Pfizer or Astra/Moderna Thatis used already with no side effects

Another worthless proclamation. Just figure that sometime next year they'll be getting around to expats. Stay safe and ride out the storm. I just wish they wouldn't restrict the ability to exercise by closing gyms, swimming pools, sport fields, tennis courts, and golf courses and driving ranges. All of which are so much safer than lifts, lines in stores and much easier to control social distances. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George Bowman said:

When the US government donated the 1.5 million doses of the vaccine to Thailand, they did not stipulate that any was to be given to American citizens...

In the future, perhaps the US government will be sure to make such a stipulation.

Perhaps it could designate the doses are for Expats and offer that any remaining doses can be given to Thais as long as they can pay for it.