Thailand Covid-19 vaccination programme British Embassy update 21st July 2021

On 7/22/2021 at 5:20 PM, Aussieroaming said:

Thailand does not have this under control and the Embassies who recognise this and do nothing are culpable for not rendering any assistance.

Wow, and wow again. Never thought of it like that but so true. Well said that person. Wow again!

On 7/22/2021 at 1:51 PM, pollyog said:

Don't live in any of the listed provinces, so I guess I have to move or go without??

Stay put, it won't make any difference.

I live in nakhon pathom deep red zone, 3 times I've gone to my local large government hospital to make an appointment/register or even get a jab... whichever it will do.

3 times I've been turned away and told to come back another time.

62 years old no underlying issues.

All I can do is sit in my home and avoid people and hope and wait that the British embassy will eventually be shamed into providing me with a vaccine. The Thais clearly don't care. Meanwhile I keep seeing my healthy 20-something year old ex students in Bangkok posting selfies on Facebook as they get their vaccines in a daily basis... 

On 7/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, Rimmer said:

The British government needs to load up a C130 with Pfizer or Moderna along with support personal and fly into each of the regional airports for a few days wherein shots could be given in order to look after their countrymen.

Anything short of that is not fulfilling your commitments during this very serious pandemic.

Since when has Bojo or any UK government felt the need to abide by any commitment, the Withdrawal Agreement was a "fantastic deal" and how has that turned out.

I would agree it is a bit of a kick in the teeth for taxpayers but think you will probably get the vaccine about the same time as they stop freezing my pension.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2021 at 3:53 PM, Tony M said:

You're welcome. I was aware of the correct information, but there are possibly many who would have thought that they did not "qualify" after seeing your published info (although I can't believe that there is any ex-pat here now who is not aware of the apparent discrimination, etc).

British Consular Team, thank you for giving me hope,  it would be nice to have a jab to keep up with my 2 thai step daughters aged 19 and 22 who have already had there first Astra, me being only 72 and living with cancer and High BP i realise i am of no significance to the British Government, well that is until the next General Election.

as a footnote we live in Issan

Edited by Almer
Footnote
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bluemoon58 said:

WHAT, you were expecting a reply...??? Ha ha ha ha ha ha, breathe, ha ha ha ha ha ha ????

I think its about time to send off copious amounts of emails to who ever. As for the Embassy to ask expats not  to contact them, i would ask, then why are you there eating the Uk taxpayers shillings.

4 hours ago, Almer said:

British Consular Team, thank you for giving me hope,  it would be nice to have a jab to keep up with my 2 thai step daughters aged 19 and 22 who have already had there first Astra, me being only 72 and living with cancer and High BP i realise i am of no significance to the British Government, well that is until the next General Election.

as a footnote we live in Issan

Your step daughters are very fortunate, my Thai wife is 59 and her appointment has been postponed until further notice.

Not just foreigners at the back of the queue.

I use a government hospital and they registered me for the vaccine and I had it 7th June. I know a more deserving case, much the same age and condition as yourself that uses the same hospital. His wife questioned why his name had not been put forward for the vaccine and was told they couldn't do on the app because he had registered at the hospital with his passport, I had used the ID card.

The latest Intervac notice says to contact the hospitals on the updated list.  Which I did.  I contacted Samitivej Hopsital in Bangkok, to ask if I can pre-register for vaccinations. There response was :

Greetings from Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital.

We do confirm that we are now open for pre-registration of free government vaccination. It must be done on site at 1st Floor, Building 1 Front Lobby near the spiral staircase from 08:30 to 16:00. The patient must bring their valid passport or 13 digit Social Security Number for the process.

Thank you.

In view of the current restrictions on inter-provincial travel, the possible risk(s) involved in going to Bangkok (I live in Jomtien), I asked the hospital if it is really necessary to travel to Bangkok to show my passport.  Their response, just received :

We sincerely regret to inform you that this is the new pre-registration policy. You may also contact Samitivej Sriracha Hospital to check their opening or visit the link below to check for updates of the vaccination center list near you.

http://www.thailandintervac.com/

We apologize for the inconvenience. 

I can't think of any reason why this can be either necessary or justified.

On 7/22/2021 at 3:47 PM, British Consular Team said:

Thanks for pointing out this mistake, Tony M. We'll amend. As you will appreciate, we get a lot of messages so apologies if we weren't able to respond to yours as quickly as you might have wished. 

In this previous post it was explained that the British embassy cannot vaccinate British people in Thailand.

The conclusion is, it can, if the political decision is made.

There are a lot of reports of expats outside of Bangkok still being denied vaccinations in there local provinces on the basis of being foreigners. This is despite the Thai government saying everyone over 60 or with underlying medical conditions should be vaccinated including foreigners.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:54 PM, sandyf said:

Your step daughters are very fortunate, my Thai wife is 59 and her appointment has been postponed until further notice.

Not just foreigners at the back of the queue.

I use a government hospital and they registered me for the vaccine and I had it 7th June. I know a more deserving case, much the same age and condition as yourself that uses the same hospital. His wife questioned why his name had not been put forward for the vaccine and was told they couldn't do on the app because he had registered at the hospital with his passport, I had used the ID card.

sandyf, i have never ruined today worrying about things that may not effect me tomorrow, but, somebody needs to tell The General or Czar or Pm that all his fellow country men in the Uk at least are fully vaccinated with real medicine with a  high  efficacy at no cost to the Thai government, the criteria as i understand for the girls, 1 is waiting for college to open and the other a  teacher.

On 7/22/2021 at 3:53 PM, Tony M said:

You're welcome. I was aware of the correct information, but there are possibly many who would have thought that they did not "qualify" after seeing your published info (although I can't believe that there is any ex-pat here now who is not aware of the apparent discrimination, etc).

It appears to matter not if you qualify or not, in Khonkaen i have been told its thai first, a fit and healthy thai 25 years old will get a jab befor a 72 year old farang with 3 of the underlying conditions.

• Like 1

Khonkaen Provincial health office have just informed me that registration is only open to ID card holders, not pink card.

Round and round and round.

It is apparent that the British consular is active on this forum, i would therefor request an update of the misleading info.

On 7/24/2021 at 8:00 AM, itsari said:

I am a British citizen and 68 years of age in good health living in Thailand . 

I wish to say I am embarrassed by the way my fellow countrymen complain about the UK policy with there citizens living abroad . I personally think the UK decision is a correct one . Just wait your turn like  Thai citizens must do . 

I am prepared and happy to wait my turn, however a roll out is a roll out, i have been told this morning by the Khonkaen Provincial Health Office that Thai's will take preference.

Lets  all hope  itsari stays in good health and doesn't need the services of the Covid wards.

2 minutes ago, Almer said:

I am prepared and happy to wait my turn, however a roll out is a roll out, i have been told this morning by the Khonkaen Provincial Health Office that Thai's will take preference.

Lets  all hope  itsari stays in good health and doesn't need the services of the Covid wards.

Two wrongs don't make a right . Pleased to hear you are ready to wait like my self . Still in good health thank you.

20 hours ago, Almer said:

sandyf, i have never ruined today worrying about things that may not effect me tomorrow, but, somebody needs to tell The General or Czar or Pm that all his fellow country men in the Uk at least are fully vaccinated with real medicine with a  high  efficacy at no cost to the Thai government, the criteria as i understand for the girls, 1 is waiting for college to open and the other a  teacher.

I appreciate the sentiment but people should realise that the main reason Thailand is struggling for vaccine is down to the actions of the UK and other western governments. As much as people want it o happen, you cannot tell the government to buy something that has been made unavailable by others.

At the same time Thailand made the agreement with AZ last October, the UK and other major economies refused to sign the waiver on the intellectual property rights. Had they all agreed to the waiver, production in Thailand would have been a local initiative rather than a technology transfer agreement and the whole production would have been available to Thailand much sooner. But it is what it is.

I wouldn't disagree with priority groupings, when they first started in the UK there was a lot of arguments over who should be seen as priority and unfortunately there will never be an outcome that would be acceptable to everyone, I would see the education sector as being one of the higher ones.

My niece left school in 2013, she wanted to do medicine but couldn't get a place in Thailand. She tried a couple in China and did 6 years at Sun Yat Sen. It is very strict here in Thailand and following graduation had to repeat the last year as an intern at a hospital in Bangkok. Speaking Chinese she was tasked to handle the Chinese that came to the hospital beginning of last year when it all started. After her internship she was then faced with a further 5 exams which have been regularly postponed over the last year due to covid, the final result came through last week and now waiting for her licence to come through. Good luck to your step daughter in her chosen path. 

On 7/27/2021 at 1:43 PM, Almer said:

Khon kaen Provincial health office have just informed me that registration is only open to ID card holders, not pink card.

Round and round and round.

It is apparent that the British consular is active on this forum, i would therefor request an update of the misleading info.

That strange because the pink card is an ID card issued by Thailand for foreigners. ????

24 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

That strange because the pink card is an ID card issued by Thailand for foreigners. ????

Not unless you are on the back of a Tabian ban house book, and jump through many hoops, i will stand corrected but a Thai ID is issued to Thai nationals, a pink card will get you discount at the Zoo not a thai passport.

• Confused 1

A report in the Daily Mail today states :

"Four million jabs will be going directly from the UK to 13 nations: Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, Cambodia, Guyana, Indonesia, Jamaica, Kenya, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Thailand and Vietnam"

If it is an equal split, then Thailand will get 300,000 doses sent from the UK. Will any resident Brits get any?

Edited by Chris.B