My UK bank now asking for a UK mobile number for verifications - I no hab

16 minutes ago, John9 said:

I use Three prepaid contract and pay £9 each month for data and local phone calls included in price in UK. Continue to use in Thailand to get all SMS OTP from banks credit cards etc. Its requirement with most banks credit debit cards etc now. Cheaper version is buy sim from Lebara in UK costs £1 only and tell your brother to activate and send you. You can use that number to get all SMS OTP but you must use phone at least once every 90 days - just send One SMS or phone call to your own number for few seconds. Of course you must have balance so when your brother activates tell him to pay say £5 in it or you can pay online when you have sim with your UK credit card.

why don't you just call Three and switch to PAYG? pointless having monthly prepaid things

5 minutes ago, topt said:

That is not correct. I have had 2 new sims from Asda in the last 2 months mailed to me here by my brother. And I did not use my original registered address.

Both were in their original unopened packaging. Easy to activate either (from memory) by text, or what I did which was to register online and do it.

One of these sims was to replace the one I have had for some years due to their changing network provider as you mention above. Easy process.

Ah maybe can do it now since they changed network

31 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I’m Natwest I have a U.K. address but a Thai phone number when I do cc and dc transactions I get a txt message with a code to place in on my online banking site I’ve never had any issues the last time I used it was 72 hours ago 

The risk is by giving them a thai phone number one day they may decide to close all foreign accounts, it could be you, it's happened to others

• Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Ah maybe can do it now since they changed network

Possibly.

If anybody has an old sim you need to change it before September 15th (I think?) or lose signal/credit etc.

You can try here:

International SIM Card | Prepaid Roaming SIM from OneSimCard

but you have to make sure the number will work for SMS too, a lot of them don't.

This company has a bank SMS service but it may just be for US numbers.  I would contact their customer service and explain to them exactly what you need.

Edited by rwill

Had the same problem with my bank two years ago.

My niece bought a '3' Sim with 10 pound pre-paid, she activated it in the UK and sent it to me here.

Bought a basic Nokia phone and inserted the sim.

Keep the phone turned off until I need it.

Updated my phone number with the bank.

Have had to use it twice now and it works without a hitch.

I send a very short SMS to my Thai phone a couple of times a year to keep the sim activated; still got over 8 pounds left.  

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 9:50 AM, Saltire said:

I considered a Skype number but as a few have said it's ok for calls but can not handle SMS/text. I have a paid Skype account and looked into this. Also not sure if the bank would accept a virtual number (they don't look like standard UK mobile numbers). Thanks

I have a US Skype number for about $50/year that now receives SMS from Chase, Wise, and my US credit union. I think this is a relatively recent improvement by Skype. May be worth looking into for UK numbers.

Edit: just did a quick search and it looks like Skype SMS if for the US numbers only. Sorry.

Edited by KeeTua
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Presnock said:

The UK is part of the same justice Dept group that the US belongs to.  They started a new

program to "control money laundering", bank fraud, etc and originally I read that they had 54

countries in the group.  The US cancelled all bank accounts of Americans with no permanent

US address.  I had the same bank account for 50 years and it was cancelled as I sold all my

US properties when I retired to Thailand.  Fortunately there are two US banks that allow one

to have a foreign address so that was finally resolved successfully.  I have noted from folks

here that don't have such an address, that they too use a relative's address but like the US,

now the other countries' banks seem to want a cell-phone nr or a phone in their country so

they can speak directly to the account holder.  I have heard of several ways to get around this but 

as that is basically illegal I would never recommend it to anyone.  Good luck as there always seems

to be some bank willing to bet on us.

Which two U.S. banks will work with a foreign address? Banking is such a headache abroad - I’m expecting my only bank account will switch to telephone verification only and put me in a mess as well.

3 hours ago, Presnock said:

Edited by tuvia
Add response

On 7/22/2021 at 11:53 AM, Saltire said:

Anyone had this issue...

It's for security to send you a one time code when shopping online and like, we have had it for many years in my Scandinavian home country, and only a domestic phone number was accepted; however only recently internationally phones can be used in some cases (I was long time ago moved to the bank's branch for international clients, as having my registered address abroad).

I kept a domestic mobile number for the same purpose, had the possibility of having one without subscription fees, but a higher rate when use the phone. I keep an old mobile phone for that SMS-purpose. Occasionally I need to confirm a code by SMS, for example for some international money transfers, and that is then "relative expensive", but still very real life small money.

Perhaps you might have a similar possibility in UK...????

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 11:01 AM, tonray said:

Why not just use your Brother's UK phone # ?

Tonray, Think before you ask a question!

The phone number you provide is used to send you a verification code. This is a temporary code and exists for a short time. you need this code to complete the authorisation to access your a/c.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fgmr said:

Tonray, Think before you ask a question!

The phone number you provide is used to send you a verification code. This is a temporary code and exists for a short time. you need this code to complete the authorisation to access your a/c.

fgmr, think before you post a rude comment

On 7/22/2021 at 12:10 PM, Saltire said:

Everything in settings is UK choices only - I can't edit my address to Thailand and it won't accept a Thai number,

Not sure my brother would be happy with OTOP/SMS for me coming in at all hours.

Then buy a Uk number online. 

Don't make it complicated! 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 12:31 PM, worgeordie said:

Tried to open an Amazon UK account the other day, they wanted phone

number ,I don't own a phone, i don't want a phone , I don't need a phone.

Why do they expect everyone to have a phone.....I did end up using my daughters

number, 

regards Worgeordie

It's Amazon's policy. 

Agree or don't buy or use your daughter.????

• Thanks 2

If you get an texting app make sure it excepts short code.

"SMS long codes are 10 digit numbers and are tied to an area code, for e.g. (212) 221- 2929. ... SMS short codes, on the other hand, are 5-6 digits (look like '69488' which Pizza Hut uses) and can only be used to send and receive SMSs, not faxes or calls."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Saltire said:

I don't wish to completely sidetrack this post about UK mobiles, but a few have mentioned current/checking accounts also being tightened up and closed if you are no longer in the UK. I may open a new post as I would like to pre-empt this and open some sort of acceptable virtual UK account.

Have a look at Starling as well. As long as you only want a current account, and don't ask for credit or an overdraft, it's very straightforward. You might need a UK VPN to download the app initially, but I can't remember for sure. Once you have it downloaded, you can do the rest of the application without a VPN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK so I nderstand it's not common to read every post so here's an update, I am pretty sure I have several solutions.

The simplest one is to get a Giff Gaff SIM - it is on order to my brother in the UK, he will activate, add credit and mail to me. I will put it in an old Nokia so this should work, I hope.

If it doesn't I will explore other options mentioned here, but am pretty sure this should work.

Intersting input that some have had agreement from the Co-op bank to use email as an alternative, and some have 'come clean' as to  their residence and they have had no issue. When these cards expire a new one also goes to my brother who forwards them on using Royal Maill tracked.

Like the case with the frozen UK pension, it seems big institutions don't like you leaving your country.

Stay safe everyone, and thanks.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:46 PM, simon43 said:

In a similar vein, is there a Thai mobile provider where the SIM can be topped up via the internet?  Bangkok Bank uses SMS PIN verification for transfers, and since I now live in Laos, the only Thai mobile number that I can use with my bank account is of my ex-wife!  This works OK, but also means that she gets notification of every expense that I make with my ATM card! I'd rather have my own Thai SIM card for verifications, (although I will probably have to visit the bank in Thailand to get my phone number changed on my bank account...)

I used to top up both my Thai sims on-line here in Thailand with a Thai debit card but now for about 2 yrs have been unable to. I have no idea why. (When I was overseas yonks' ago I would have a friend SMS me the scratchy number.)

On 7/22/2021 at 5:02 PM, Kwasaki said:

Said many times on this question my UK bank only has my Thai address and Thai house phone number and my mobile number.

Can't you use your Thai mobile number or your brothers mobile number.  

I'm the exact same, they sent me a token with a 4 digit no to use when I go online even just to check my account. They know I do not have a UK address. A real one anyway. ????

On 7/22/2021 at 5:10 PM, Saltire said:

Everything in settings is UK choices only - I can't edit my address to Thailand and it won't accept a Thai number,

Not sure my brother would be happy with OTOP/SMS for me coming in at all hours.

My credit card now uses an app, which does not accept an overseas set of digits. 

On 7/22/2021 at 10:01 PM, phetphet said:

Don't they ask for proof of address such as Council Tax receipt? I tried to apply about four years ago.

If anyone asked me for a UK Council Tax receipt when I lived there, I was bu------d. ????

Edited by possum1931

On 7/22/2021 at 5:31 PM, worgeordie said:

Tried to open an Amazon UK account the other day, they wanted phone

number ,I don't own a phone, i don't want a phone , I don't need a phone.

Why do they expect everyone to have a phone.....I did end up using my daughters

number, 

regards Worgeordie

They want you to have a phone so they can keep there little eyes on you.

4 minutes ago, Almer said:

They want you to have a phone so they can keep there little eyes on you.

Yes, that's just one reason I don't have one. the other I have no use for one,

but they expect everybody to have one...

regards Worgeordie

19 hours ago, topt said:

Possibly.

If anybody has an old sim you need to change it before September 15th (I think?) or lose signal/credit etc.

Do you mean UK sims? Please can you explain? 

Edited by phetphet