My UK bank now asking for a UK mobile number for verifications - I no hab

11 minutes ago, Stocky said:

As said above, you activate via the Giffgaff website and purchase credit there, ignore the goody bag offers just opt for the cash credit. You can use a credit/debit card or PayPal.

Oki doki..is the min credit a tenner?

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Q: Will this be a standard, large-type SIM? If so then it should work in an old Nokia (not smart) phone I have in a drawer somewhere.

What you will get is one of these, snap out the sim size you require.

AD31C88C-645B-414B-AF9E-F28FF87C3452.thumb.jpeg.4cb6654436425517345cc4842a443ed4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 6:51 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

The Problem I had with DTAC was that when working outside of Thailand and with no Thai SIM card in my 'phone, I was continually receiving what DTAC call "third party" SMS messages which ate up my credit while I was not even using the SIM.

I had DTAC stop this and now I can't receive OTP codes from my UK banks. And they both switched from email verification to OTP,

To my mind, how did these "third parties get my number to send unsolicited messages? I think DTAC sold my number to them!

Download the app DTAC Call, it allows you to get all your calls and SMS via wifi when out of Thailand at no cost.

The UK is part of the same justice Dept group that the US belongs to.  They started a new

program to "control money laundering", bank fraud, etc and originally I read that they had 54

countries in the group.  The US cancelled all bank accounts of Americans with no permanent

US address.  I had the same bank account for 50 years and it was cancelled as I sold all my

US properties when I retired to Thailand.  Fortunately there are two US banks that allow one

to have a foreign address so that was finally resolved successfully.  I have noted from folks

here that don't have such an address, that they too use a relative's address but like the US,

now the other countries' banks seem to want a cell-phone nr or a phone in their country so

they can speak directly to the account holder.  I have heard of several ways to get around this but 

as that is basically illegal I would never recommend it to anyone.  Good luck as there always seems

to be some bank willing to bet on us.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 6:03 PM, Mickeymaus said:

They are all crazy now with these OTP SMS. I still have accounts on the Philippines and at Metrobank they switched to these OTP SMS recently - and only for Philippine phone numbers. Advice was to use a Philippine SIM with roaming.

Bad because very many Filipinos work on ships with no phone signal. They all don't have now access to their accounts anymore. Before they could use WiFi. Insane. Best option is to look for a new bank. But some Filipinos working overseas will not get back to the Philippines so soon because they stay on the ships very long. Many have no access to their income anymore. 

I have a BDO account. I regularly make payments to people in the Philippines from Thailand, no OTP required. Just username/password. And with enrolled accounts it's very simple. Some would say this is insecure, but it's your choice! I think they have a new app which might require 2 stage verification, but the old one I use doesn't.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:04 PM, johng said:

If you need  to respond to OTOP /SMS  codes to access banking, ask you brother to send you a UK SIM card   I read that  3  or Gif Gaf  have cheap prices    you will of course have to keep the SIM topped up with credit  and maybe have to  make a call or send a SMS message every once in a while to keep it activated  and turn off international roaming  to keep charges down..SMS will still work.

O2 cut of my sim with 14gbp left. Guess I'll have to ask my brother to send me a new SIM if my bank gets difficult

1 hour ago, Satcommlee said:

If you have a modern phone with "Esim" capability you can get a UK mobile number very easily and cheaply. I use www.esim.net

they don't appear to be PAYG, remember these UK numbers are mostly used for OTPs occasionally so buying a package isn't necessary

On 7/22/2021 at 4:53 PM, Saltire said:

Anyone had this issue and can recommend a provider? I don't mind a monthly fee as long as it's cheap.

It is becoming the way of the world, I am with HSBC and they have said they will introduce OTP shortly and to make sure my phone number is up to date.

I use GiffGaff, they will send the sim card to Thailand and you can activate it here. You can credit it online, I think £10 min but it will last 6 months without use. I lost 3 Lebara numbers before someone told me about Giffgaff.

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

No the minimum goody bag is but just add credit of what you want and done

I have recently had the warning my number would be expired if I didn't top up and the minimum top up was £10, and I still had a credit balance of about £9.

Not a problem as I can buy data from the balance when I go to the UK.

A GiffGaff SIM is in the post to my brothers address. He will credit it, activate it and test it for me then send it over tracked Royal Mail. I will stick it in an old Nokia thenupdate the CO-OP bank online with my new number. For some reason my Thai details were rejected.

I don't wish to completely sidetrack this post about UK mobiles, but a few have mentioned current/checking accounts also being tightened up and closed if you are no longer in the UK. I may open a new post as I would like to pre-empt this and open some sort of acceptable virtual UK account.

Someone mentioned Pockit, I will look into it.

28 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I have a BDO account. I regularly make payments to people in the Philippines from Thailand, no OTP required. Just username/password. And with enrolled accounts it's very simple. Some would say this is insecure, but it's your choice! I think they have a new app which might require 2 stage verification, but the old one I use doesn't.

Yes, perhaps the BDO Unibank would have been a better choice than the Metrobank. But to change this you have to be on the Philippines. For me - not a Filipino but having accounts at Metrobank - the nightmare started already when they switched their ATM cards to new ones with chips - and not informing me about this. But whenever I will come back to this country of many islands I know what I will do.

My UK bank started to ask for SMS verification a couple of months ago. I'm using a Giffgaff pay as you go sim and it's fine with the bank. You could order one online (they are free) to your brother's address and have him to forward it to you. 

33 minutes ago, bluemoon58 said:

I had this issue. Just called my bank, explained the situation and they now send security notifications to my Thai mobile. 

Which bank was that  ?  there have been reports of  people notifying their bank that they where in Thailand and the accounts where then closed !

My Canadian bank is same, same.  They provide verification codes for my transactions however they won't SMS to  Thai phone number.  Consequently, my son in Vancouver get's the codes and forwards them to me on LINE.   Pain in the butt for him and me.  Good luck.

I’m Natwest I have a U.K. address but a Thai phone number when I do cc and dc transactions I get a txt message with a code to place in on my online banking site I’ve never had any issues the last time I used it was 72 hours ago 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I’m Natwest I have a U.K. address but a Thai phone number

Did you have to phone them to tell them to use the Thai number or could you input it in the online banking web page ?

I use Three prepaid contract and pay £9 each month for data and local phone calls included in price in UK. Continue to use in Thailand to get all SMS OTP from banks credit cards etc. Its requirement with most banks credit debit cards etc now. Cheaper version is buy sim from Lebara in UK costs £1 only and tell your brother to activate and send you. You can use that number to get all SMS OTP but you must use phone at least once every 90 days - just send One SMS or phone call to your own number for few seconds. Of course you must have balance so when your brother activates tell him to pay say £5 in it or you can pay online when you have sim with your UK credit card.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:28 PM, Saltire said:

This is what I get from Santander, Worth a go but if they insist, may revoke my cards

With Santander certaintly and I reckon for many others download their app and enable fingerprint id on your device and on the apps settings. Any transaction needing authorization just pings on the app asking if genuine. Press 'yes' and it will use your fingerprint to confirm. 

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Anyone with an Asda sim will be sent a new one to their UK address, they are changing network. It's a faff as it has to be activated in the UK which is why I changed to giffgaff months ago

That is not correct. I have had 2 new sims from Asda in the last 2 months mailed to me here by my brother. And I did not use my original registered address.

Both were in their original unopened packaging. Easy to activate either (from memory) by text, or what I did which was to register online and do it.

One of these sims was to replace the one I have had for some years due to their changing network provider as you mention above. Easy process.