My UK bank now asking for a UK mobile number for verifications - I no hab

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

In a similar vein, is there a Thai mobile provider where the SIM can be topped up via the internet?  Bangkok Bank uses SMS PIN verification for transfers, and since I now live in Laos, the only Thai mobile number that I can use with my bank account is of my ex-wife!  This works OK, but also means that she gets notification of every expense that I make with my ATM card! I'd rather have my own Thai SIM card for verifications, (although I will probably have to visit the bank in Thailand to get my phone number changed on my bank account...)

I top up my AIS sim card through Kasikorn Bank online

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Tried to open an Amazon UK account the other day, they wanted phone

number ,I don't own a phone, i don't want a phone , I don't need a phone.

Why do they expect everyone to have a phone.....I did end up using my daughters

number, 

regards Worgeordie

that's ok.....  they think everyone uses facebook  these days also .    lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They are all crazy now with these OTP SMS. I still have accounts on the Philippines and at Metrobank they switched to these OTP SMS recently - and only for Philippine phone numbers. Advice was to use a Philippine SIM with roaming.

Bad because very many Filipinos work on ships with no phone signal. They all don't have now access to their accounts anymore. Before they could use WiFi. Insane. Best option is to look for a new bank. But some Filipinos working overseas will not get back to the Philippines so soon because they stay on the ships very long. Many have no access to their income anymore. 

23 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Yes. It is a requirement to be a UK resident to open a UK bank account.

Try opening one from here.........

I just Googled. Seems no problem with HSBC, (not being a UK resident). Mine were opened more than 40 years ago, and I don't intend to close them. They do ask for security updates from time to time, and that's OK. 

57 minutes ago, Saltire said:

He would get the notifications at all hours, he helps me a lot but pretty sure he'd not be happy ????

he won't get them all hours just for specific things, like initial set up and maybe login. Halifax said i needed a UK sim which i had anyway, once they sent one OTP that was the end of it.

order one from giffgaff, it takes a week

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Hmmmm

I see what you're saying, BUT.

You need to be an onshore resident to open a "UK" bank account but not if you open an Isle of Man or Channel Islands account which are not in "UK" geographically, but ARE financially.

So you will have a UK sort code for your bank account 

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

He would get the notifications at all hours, he helps me a lot but pretty sure he'd not be happy ????

you said you use them for online purchases (same as I) I have no problem coordinating on skype with a relative (when it's convenient for them of course) to input codes on my bank website. I'm just doing a little planning with my online purchases negating the need to buy anything just to receive a code. I've had to do this for 2 years now which reassures me when transacting somewhat in this scammy world we live in, I'm surprised your institution is just getting to this now..

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, samtam said:

I just Googled. Seems no problem with HSBC, (not being a UK resident). Mine were opened more than 40 years ago, and I don't intend to close them. They do ask for security updates from time to time, and that's OK. 

Trust me, you wouldn't get one now unless you were resident.

• Like 1

My US based bank does the same security procedure.  I have a Skype# that has a US based area code.  Of course this Skype service has a monthly service charge($6.50).  Some banks based outside of Thailand will text the security code to local mobile number.  Maybe you could ask the bank to email the security code to you? 

• Thanks 1

The Problem I had with DTAC was that when working outside of Thailand and with no Thai SIM card in my 'phone, I was continually receiving what DTAC call "third party" SMS messages which ate up my credit while I was not even using the SIM.

I had DTAC stop this and now I can't receive OTP codes from my UK banks. And they both switched from email verification to OTP,

To my mind, how did these "third parties get my number to send unsolicited messages? I think DTAC sold my number to them!

12 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Hmmmm

I see what you're saying, BUT.

You need to be an onshore resident to open a "UK" bank account but not if you open an Isle of Man or Channel Islands account which are not in "UK" geographically, but ARE financially.

So you will have a UK sort code for your bank account 

IoM and CI are 'offshore' accounts. 

Just hope you never need probate to deal with those separate jurisdictions.

46 minutes ago, samtam said:

This is a sample of the small print from HSBC. Whilst it is the specific Switcher terms the UK resident part is in all account T&C's.:-

HSBC £125 Switcher Offer
Terms and Conditions
1. These terms and conditions (the “Offer Terms”) govern
our £125 switcher offer in relation to the HSBC Jade,
HSBC Premier and HSBC Advance bank accounts in the
UK (each an “eligible current account”).  

6. This offer is not transferable and is only available to
UK residents. 

Also:-

Easy everyday banking that puts you in control

Show your money who's boss with our Bank Account. Get everything you need for everyday banking and to keep your finances in check. Apply for your account in minutes online.

To apply, you'll need to be 18+ and live in the UK or EU.

Edited by hotandsticky

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

IoM and CI are 'offshore' accounts. 

Just hope you never need probate to deal with those separate jurisdictions.

They are "offshore" but part of the UK banking system, so easy for money transfers as they incur no costs.

Probate is not a problem, I have a Will in place in all 3 jurisdictions (Jersey and Guernsey actually are separate financial entities) and anyway plan to spend all the money before I die!!

• Like 2

It would be so simple if these banks would be willing to allow foreign phone numbers... This Metrobank on the Philippines did until recently. My European banks - one uses a two app verification and at the other one I have to scan a QR code (you will need a second device). Annoying but still possible to have access. Kasikorn now changes from the second pin code to an OTP. Not sure if it will handle foreign phone numbers. 

1 hour ago, johng said:

Have you tried   removing the precoding  0 from your Thai mobile  phone number  then

0066  then the rest of the number ?

For example your Thai number  is 089 2333 789     for the bank this  becomes 006689 2333 789

My bank Lloyds, uses my Thai number ,and has done for a while ,for them I use  +66,then my number ,minus the 0.

1 hour ago, johng said:

No if you don't disable international roaming  the phone might try to use the cellular network for  system or app updates  there is also the issue of "background data"  that some apps use to send telemetry these could use cellular data and eat up your credit very fast.

But if you are not on int roaming how the heck will the SIM work?

That's why I keep a cheap UK phone number on an old phone.

Maybe get someone to send you a cheap UK sim, with about £30 of top up. Maybe they canthey can top up more if required.

Or if you have Skype I think that you can buy a UK local number for friends to call.

https://www.skype.com/en/skype-number/

Not sure it will work for you, but as long as you have access to Skype when you use your card, it should work.

There are lots of adds on Google for virtual UK numbers, but you would have to check them out.

HTH

Edited by phetphet
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

I think wise has ability to open an account from here, its relatively new, so I'm not absolutely sure. I think, they don't care for an address unless a card is needed.  I'm hoping to open an account with them if it serves the function of a uk bank account, with the ability to transfer here, without needing a card, or a uk phone number- I hope.

9 minutes ago, Khabib said:

I think wise has ability to open an account from here, its relatively new, so I'm not absolutely sure. I think, they don't care for an address unless a card is needed.  I'm hoping to open an account with them if it serves the function of a uk bank account, with the ability to transfer here, without needing a card, or a uk phone number- I hope.

Wise dont offer credit/debit card services on Thai addresses, I tried myself.

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

This could be what I need. I will talk to my brother. I would need to buy a cheap phone as well.

This is the solution, you need a separate phone or use the dual sim feature of your current phone and keep an account going in the UK if you want to use a UK bank.

Something changed a few months ago regarding banking regulations and they are now apparently required to send out SMS codes every time you do something like login, etc. I believe some banks use electronic devices to generate one time passwords but not my bank - it's SMS only or no access.

This is why I keep a UK based cellphone account even though I've hardly lived there since the 90's. For the UK sim I keep an old phone model just for this, always have, always will.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2