My UK bank now asking for a UK mobile number for verifications - I no hab

35 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Doesn't the credit expire after a length of time?

Nope , not if you make a transaction every 6 months, SMS is the cheapest option to keep your sim active and retain your balance.

I have a giffgaff sim , pop in my phone, send an sms to my daughter and good to go for another 6 months, what with the travel restrictions now have taken to put a reminder on my phone app,  have had a GG sim for about 5 years now, great service.

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Nope , not if you make a transaction every 6 months, SMS is the cheapest option to keep your sim active and retain your balance.

I have a giffgaff sim , pop in my phone, send an sms to my daughter and good to go for another 6 months, what with the travel restrictions now have taken to put a reminder on my phone app,  have had a GG sim for about 5 years now, great service.

A no brainer then. Thing is I don't really need a UK SIM.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Never tried it but anyone tried diverting calls to skype or a Thai number just a thought no research done????

Yes, calls can be diverted however SMS Texts cannot be diverted.

Edited by soi3eddie

19 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Good advice and a very cheap, if not cheapest way, of receiving Bank SMS Texts with login/confirmation codes while overseas.

29 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I think I just ordered one from giffgaff, I didn't pay anything just said your SIM is on it's way and follow the instructions when it arrives?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So when it arrives is it just plug n play and then have to top up 10 pound and that's it?

Thoroughly read the fine print on the card application or bank's rules, if it doesn't say a telephone is mandatory I'd point that out to customer service. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Johnny Mac said:

So when it arrives is it just plug n play and then have to top up 10 pound and that's it?

Yes , pretty much I think, been a long time since I did mine and did it in the U.K. but should be straightforward.

Last time I came back from the U.K.( Oct 2019 )  I must have lost my GG sim , probably at the airport . Didn’t realise until 6 months later ( Giffgaff send an email to remind you ) but luckily i had a spare, unused, sim and was able to transfer my lost number to the new sim and retain my credit as well as my number, a very flexible service.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bbko said:

Thoroughly read the fine print on the card application or bank's rules, if it doesn't say a telephone is mandatory I'd point that out to customer service. 

Ha ha.  They in turn will point out that you are free to close your account whenever you feel the  need.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

that's ok.....  they think everyone uses facebook  these days also .    lol

Tracking. Plus they  want you to download their app. Also for security 2FA.

I have had an account for years. Never needed a phone number when I got it, but they are always asking for one.

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Got a Metro bank account last year haven't lived here in 20 years just lie a lot ????

Don't they ask for proof of address such as Council Tax receipt? I tried to apply about four years ago.

10 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The Problem I had with DTAC was that when working outside of Thailand and with no Thai SIM card in my 'phone, I was continually receiving what DTAC call "third party" SMS messages which ate up my credit while I was not even using the SIM.

I had DTAC stop this and now I can't receive OTP codes from my UK banks. And they both switched from email verification to OTP,

To my mind, how did these "third parties get my number to send unsolicited messages? I think DTAC sold my number to them!

Was it one of those year sim deals you had? i recently got a Lazada True sim, started receiving text charges, I've called True twice and they've credited the charges and cancelled them now

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Looks like I have 2 options.

1) Get my brother to buy and register a giiffgaff SIM, and mail it to me. I will source a cheap phone on Lazada. I think they have some second-hand if I recall. Or if I ever get out of jail the village to a phone shop I will just buy a basic phone.

2) Come clean to CO-OP customer services that I don't have a UK phone and ask if they can email as an option. The risk here is if they get anal about it they could just cancel my cards as I could be no longer eligble.

I favour number 1, I think I have time but they have not given me a deadline so I will try to get this in place first.

Incidentally I agree with the 'loyalty' of banks to long-term customers, I have had these cards for at least 20 years but I know if they stick to the script they will just cancel them. They have not made much money from me as I always clear the debt with my Santander account before interest is charged, so I am not really, in their eyes, a good customer.

Thanks all

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saltire said:

1) Get my brother to buy and register a giiffgaff SIM, and mail it to me. I will source a cheap phone on Lazada. I think they have some second-hand if I recall. Or if I ever get out of jail the village to a phone shop I will just buy a basic phone.

2) Come clean to CO-OP customer services that I don't have a UK phone and ask if they can email as an option. The risk here is if they get anal about it they could just cancel my cards as I could be no longer eligble.

I favour number 1, I tink I have time but they have not given me a deadline so I will try to get this in place first.

Incidentally I agree with the 'loyalty' of banks to long-term customers, I have had these cards for at least 20 years but I know if they stick to the script they will just cancel them. They have not made much money from me as I always clear the debt with my Santander account before interest is charged, so I am not really, in their eyes, a good customer.

Thanks all

My two main financial orgs in the USA are, or can be, fickle about overseas customers as well.  Recently had to call one to close an unused checking/current account as they were changing the terms.  No longer asked me security questions to start like they used to, rather, wanted a cell phone # to send a confirmation code.  I said no thanks, just send me an email and I'll confirm that way, which I'd done before, although quite some time ago. 

Lady put me on hold for a while to consult a supervisor, finally came back and said she could proceed without it.  I have a US Skype number but unfortunately no good for receiving SMS/Text, apparently, but ok for robo confirmation calls.  Part of our frustration living overseas in these times.  Good luck with Option 1, hope it all works out for you.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I favour number 1, I think I have time but they have not given me a deadline so I will try to get this in place first.

Thanks all

Not sure if this would work if time is  limited, but it might be worth a look.

If you have internet banking, you might be able to use the Skype method short term, say a month or two, until you receive your UK SIM card. Then you could go into settings and change phone number to the SIM one.

1 minute ago, phetphet said:

Not sure if this would work if time is  limited, but it might be worth a look.

If you have internet banking, you might be able to use the Skype method short term, say a month or two, until you receive your UK SIM card. Then you could go into settings and change phone number to the SIM one.

I considered a Skype number but as a few have said it's ok for calls but can not handle SMS/text. I have a paid Skype account and looked into this. Also not sure if the bank would accept a virtual number (they don't look like standard UK mobile numbers). Thanks

14 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Doesn't the credit expire after a length of time?

No, pay as you go Giffgaff credit does not expire as long as you use your SIM at least once every 6 months. Should you fail to do so, then the account is closed, SIM deactivated, and the remaining credit forfeit. But they do send you an email to remind you. 

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Thanks all

you can register giffgaff online once you receive it, also no need for another phone, just switch sims if you only have one slot and don't need the other sim data

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

you can register giffgaff online once you receive it, also no need for another phone, just switch sims if you only have one slot and don't need the other sim data

I have a single SIM Apple IPhone so not an option I think.

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Was it one of those year sim deals you had? i recently got a Lazada True sim, started receiving text charges, I've called True twice and they've credited the charges and cancelled them now

No, it was a PAYG SIM that I'd had for 10 years with no previous problems.

DTAC also cancelled the charges and credited the money, but now I have no access to OTP for my UK Debit Card and Credit Card which I used for large purchases like airtickets.

I also have a yearly True SIM for a mobile modem so not in a 'phone, to me it's a one off payment for which I use the internet data and there is no other credit on it at all.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

20 hours ago, phetphet said:

Don't they ask for proof of address such as Council Tax receipt? I tried to apply about four years ago.

Had one letter addressed to me at my late fathers house driving license and some BS that was enough basic account open found out this was not much use so the next day went back explained opened a full account 

will go in next week and say that I'm traveling and need new cards with longer expiry date never tell a bank your not living in the UK and don't use your card for transactions here they are monitored plenty of other ways to get your own money here .

Also to the OP look at opening a Pockit online only account I think its called had a quick look but think its a PAYG type may work for you ???? 

• Thanks 1

I use a Tesco PAYG SIM. I have to make a transaction once a year to keep it active. I usually just send an SMS. It costs me nothing to receive SMS here from the UK.

I would not tell the Co-op you are living overseas. When Natwest realised I had moved, they closed my accounts with zero notice. I vaguely raised it with the Co-op that I was considering a move overseas, and they told me I would have to close my accounts if I moved out of the EU. (I guess maybe the EU too now, but I don't know.) Their rules explicitly state that you have to be a UK resident to have a credit card. I'd been a customer for about 20 years at that point, if that makes any difference. 

EDIT: this looks like you can use an email address instead though

https://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/help-and-support/faqs/can-i-still-use-online-banking-if-i-dont-have-a-mobile-phone-number-or-email-address/PROD-11613 

Edited by Polar Bear
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:
On 7/22/2021 at 11:01 PM, phetphet said:

Had one letter addressed to me at my late fathers house driving license and some BS that was enough basic account open found out this was not much use so the next day went back explained opened a full account 

will go in next week and say that I'm traveling and need new cards with longer expiry date never tell a bank your not living in the UK and don't use your card for transactions here they are monitored plenty of other ways to get your own money here .

Also to the OP look at opening a Pockit online only account I think its called had a quick look but think its a PAYG type may work for you

I assume this is all with Metro Bank? It will be interesting to see how you get on.

FWIW, I opened my last UK account at Barclays in 2015 as a backup to the long-standing NatWest (formerly RBS International) account that had been challenged twice with their KYC (know your customer) exercises. I am non-resident in the UK and used my passport plus my sisters address and my UK DL and one non-Barclays charge card all in the same address, as proof of domicile. I picked Barclays as they had an account that allowed $ and £ transactions from the single account. They opened the account there and then but told me that the dual-currency feature could only be enabled on personal application after 6-months of banking history. Although I used the account monthly for paying a UK mobile number, insurance and some transfers back and forth with my sister's UK bank account, I never made it back to the UK for several years and the debit card never saw any ATM machines anywhere. On my last visit early last year, I popped in to get the dual-currency thing enabled at last. They were very cagey about the whole affair and asked me a lot of questions that were trying to nail down where I actually lived. Unsatisfied with my answers, the (different) branch manager said that since my account had 'special' status, or otherwise wasn't a 'normal' account, I wasn't qualified for the dual-currency option. There was no answer when drawn on why it wasn't a 'normal' account. She had a very distant and stand-offish attitude.

IMHO, it is definitely not as easy as it used to be as little as 5 or 6 years ago. The Barclays account only ever sees domestic UK to UK transactions since I never got the $ option enabled. All these are done via standing orders or their phone app. The Natwest account is the only one that sees international activity in both remittances and withdrawals and ATM card use.

Edited by NanLaew

22 hours ago, Stocky said:

No, pay as you go Giffgaff credit does not expire as long as you use your SIM at least once every 6 months. Should you fail to do so, then the account is closed, SIM deactivated, and the remaining credit forfeit. But they do send you an email to remind you. 

I have a SIM on d'way. So do I pop it in a phone and it will already be activated or do I need to wegister it? Buy 10 quid of cwedit and ones good to go?

Edited by Johnny Mac

8 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

I have a SIM on d'way. So do I pop it in a phone and it will already be activated or do I need to wegister it? Buy 10 quid of cwedit and ones good to go?

Activate it at giffgaff online, then top up etc is all done on their website. I have been using them for years, works very well.

• Like 2

Tried to order a giffgaff free sim for my Thai address but website said 'problem - try later'

Worked fine today when I ordered for my brothers UK address. He will forward on when it arrives.

Q: Will this be a standard, large-type SIM? If so then it should work in an old Nokia (not smart) phone I have in a drawer somewhere.

14 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I use a Tesco PAYG SIM. I have to make a transaction once a year to keep it active. I usually just send an SMS. It costs me nothing to receive SMS here from the UK.

I would not tell the Co-op you are living overseas. When Natwest realised I had moved, they closed my accounts with zero notice. I vaguely raised it with the Co-op that I was considering a move overseas, and they told me I would have to close my accounts if I moved out of the EU. (I guess maybe the EU too now, but I don't know.) Their rules explicitly state that you have to be a UK resident to have a credit card. I'd been a customer for about 20 years at that point, if that makes any difference. 

EDIT: this looks like you can use an email address instead though

https://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/help-and-support/faqs/can-i-still-use-online-banking-if-i-dont-have-a-mobile-phone-number-or-email-address/PROD-11613 

Thanks for the link. If the giff gaff sim has a problem I may need to ask them about this - without telling them WHY I have no UK mobile phone.