My UK bank now asking for a UK mobile number for verifications - I no hab

2 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Do you mean UK sims? Please can you explain? 

We were talking specifically about Asda sim cards as they have changed the network they use to Vodaphone and sim cards issued on the previous network will stop working.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 5:25 PM, hotandsticky said:

Get a Giff Gaff sim sent to your brother and have him send it on.

Despite what Kwasaki says above it is less about any long-standing relationship with the bank (which counts for zip) and more about their technology. Several banks cannot/will not accept an overseas number for OTP's.  I am with 5 UK banks and only HSBC use my Thai number for OTP's.

One obvious reason for getting the UK sim is that you have to be (or seen to be) a UK resident to open a bank account in the UK; if the banks extend that principle to existing account holders then those with overseas addresses and contact numbers may become a target. 

Lloyds and State Bank of India UK accept my Thailand (+66) mobile for OTPs

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I'm the exact same, they sent me a token with a 4 digit no to use when I go online even just to check my account. They know I do not have a UK address. A real one anyway. ????

Yeah Nationwide didn't mind as long as they had my Daughters home address but I dumped them after having trouble renewing my credit card. 

My FD UK bank sent me a secure key device bit like a tiny calculator which I have to use to get on-line. 

They send emails and text me on my phone,  when I want to speak to them I ring them and ask them to ring me back cause there richer than me. ????

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 2:04 PM, Presnock said:

The UK is part of the same justice Dept group that the US belongs to.  They started a new

program to "control money laundering", bank fraud, etc and originally I read that they had 54

countries in the group.  The US cancelled all bank accounts of Americans with no permanent

US address.  I had the same bank account for 50 years and it was cancelled as I sold all my

US properties when I retired to Thailand.  Fortunately there are two US banks that allow one

to have a foreign address so that was finally resolved successfully.  I have noted from folks

here that don't have such an address, that they too use a relative's address but like the US,

now the other countries' banks seem to want a cell-phone nr or a phone in their country so

they can speak directly to the account holder.  I have heard of several ways to get around this but 

as that is basically illegal I would never recommend it to anyone.  Good luck as there always seems

to be some bank willing to bet on us.

In addition to the requirement for home country address/cell phone etc. the banks in Thailand and the other countries SHARE you bank account info.  As for US that means they can easily check your FBAR to ensure you are truthful.  When they changed to this now program I had to change my Bangkok Bank account and needed to provide my social security number so that they could report the account activity.  

Get yourself a Giffgaff SIM and top-up with 10 quid.

You can then receive free SMS/OTP on it all around the world.

As long as you keep the SIM active once every 6 months by either sending a SMS or top-up the credit (minimum is 10 quid though).

On 7/22/2021 at 5:14 PM, Saltire said:

This could be what I need. I will talk to my brother. I would need to buy a cheap phone as well.

Or just phone your UK bank & tell them your situation. I had the same problem/issue last week for the first time. I called my bank's call center spoke to them and they set up my UK bank account records with my Thai mobile phone number. I was then able to carry out the transaction I wanted to carry out and the One Time Verification code for my internet purchase was sent to my mobile phone in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 4:27 PM, Presnock said:

the banks in Thailand and the other countries SHARE you bank account info.

Actually not true yet for Thai banks - apart from possibly for US citizens.

Thailand although signed up to CRS (Common Reporting Standards), which is where the sharing comes in, has yet to implement the necessary legislation and make it happen. Possibly because this will affect wealthy Thai's more than a few expats........... 

1 hour ago, topt said:

Actually not true yet for Thai banks - apart from possibly for US citizens.

Thailand although signed up to CRS (Common Reporting Standards), which is where the sharing comes in, has yet to implement the necessary legislation and make it happen. Possibly because this will affect wealthy Thai's more than a few expats........... 

Some years back, maybe 10, HMRC sent me a letter informing me they were aware I had an overseas bank account. I believe overseas banks do, or did, have to release this information if requested. However, HMRC then demanded statements, bank books etc going back 7 years. I told them to contact the bank. They said they couldn't. I laughed. Well tough then. They weren't laughing though. Anyway, well off topic.

9 hours ago, White Tiger said:

Or just phone your UK bank & tell them your situation. I had the same problem/issue last week for the first time. I called my bank's call center spoke to them and they set up my UK bank account records with my Thai mobile phone number. I was then able to carry out the transaction I wanted to carry out and the One Time Verification code for my internet purchase was sent to my mobile phone in Thailand. 

That's good, they now know you live abroad so if they decide to close foreign accounts it will be easy

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 5:59 PM, nglodnig said:

I have had a Co-op credit card for many many years living outside the UK - which I told them about  and are happy to send replacement cards out to my foreign address(es). 

+1

@Saltire - was the "recent email" you referred to in the OP anything like the one I received from the Co-op last April (sanitised version attached)? Following its receipt I raised the issue of one-time passcodes being sent to UK mobile numbers with them via their online private messaging facility, and this is what I was told:-

We're unable to allocate a non UK number into the mobile field, however for customers who don't hold a mobile number with us this code will be sent via email instead.

More information and key dates for these changes will be explained further once the team has the timings secured for this change.

So, unless you have heard from them since April, they have still not finalised their plans, it would seem.

CPBK email.docx

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's good, they now know you live abroad so if they decide to close foreign accounts it will be easy

They always knew I lived abroad!  It's never been an issue for the UK bank. 

I told them before I moved here 12 years ago that I was moving here.

I asked them 12 years ago if I should use a UK address for my UK bank account, if I should transfer my UK bank account to the bank's branch in Bangkok, or if I should use my Thai address.

It was the bank who suggested I use a forwarding address in the UK. It's worked fine for me for all these years.  So if my bank ever decided I could no longer hold an account with them in the UK because I live abroad it would always have been easy for them to shut my account down - having my contact number in Thailand doesn't alter the situation.

Edited by White Tiger

14 hours ago, OJAS said:

+1

@Saltire - was the "recent email" you referred to in the OP anything like the one I received from the Co-op last April (sanitised version attached)? Following its receipt I raised the issue of one-time passcodes being sent to UK mobile numbers with them via their online private messaging facility, and this is what I was told:-

We're unable to allocate a non UK number into the mobile field, however for customers who don't hold a mobile number with us this code will be sent via email instead.

More information and key dates for these changes will be explained further once the team has the timings secured for this change.

So, unless you have heard from them since April, they have still not finalised their plans, it would seem.

CPBK email.docx 21.08 kB · 0 downloads

ot the same one but a simpler one received last week. Very to the point - please let us have your UK number or you can't use the cards online but no deadline.

I have a UK sim on its way ao I hope this will resolve the problem.

I don't have banking with them, only 2 credit cards.

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

I don't have banking with them, only 2 credit cards.

Sounds like that could be a crucial difference between us, then, since, unlike you, I didn't receive any terse follow-up email from them last week. Still, following their April email I did order a giffgaff SIM card from the UK just in case. This is currently lying in a drawer awaiting activation if need be.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2021 at 12:22 PM, OJAS said:

Yes I got that too - but I have a UK mobile number (dual SIM - doesn't everyone?) so it's not an issue

On 7/28/2021 at 11:02 AM, OJAS said:

Sounds like that could be a crucial difference between us, then, since, unlike you, I didn't receive any terse follow-up email from them last week. Still, following their April email I did order a giffgaff SIM card from the UK just in case. This is currently lying in a drawer awaiting activation if need be.

@Saltire - famous last words since I received the terse follow-up email shortly afterwards! However in a subsequent further exchange of secure messages I was informed that they were reviewing their options for those customers who didn't hold a UK mobile number, and such customers would be contacted again before these changes were made to explain their options. Still no firm date for these changes, though.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

s Fongo available in UK?

Fongo World Edition Availability: Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Dominican Republic, France, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Jamaica, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Peru, Russia, Singapore, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela and both the UK and US Virgin Islands

I have a Fongo mobile phone number. Free. And regional codes are available for most countries. Free to make calls in my region at home, since I have the same regional code. Sending texts are available under some paid plans, But not needed, since I do not send messages. But RECEIVING messages are available and free as well.
So that is how how do it with my banking needs

2 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

s Fongo available in UK?

Seems to be applicable to Canadian's only - IE it gives you a Canadian number but does not look like you could use to get a UK or any other country number.

33 minutes ago, topt said:

Seems to be applicable to Canadian's only - IE it gives you a Canadian number but does not look like you could use to get a UK or any other country number.

Yes, I've been told it has to be a UK mobile number starting with 07.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Co-op current account that also uses two-step authentication for any new transactions and in depth viewing when using online banking.  I have no mobile signal in my UK home so I can't receive their one time password by SMS.

I'm not sure about credit card accounts but for current accounts, the Co-op is the only UK bank I know of that offers the alternative of sending the passcode by e-mail.

12 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I have a Co-op current account that also uses two-step authentication for any new transactions and in depth viewing when using online banking.  I have no mobile signal in my UK home so I can't receive their one time password by SMS.

I'm not sure about credit card accounts but for current accounts, the Co-op is the only UK bank I know of that offers the alternative of sending the passcode by e-mail.

I suspect that there are a quite a few other CPBK account holders back in the UK who are also in your position of not having a mobile signal, so it is reassuring that the CPBK seem more than willing to cater for the situation in which both they and those of us living abroad find them/ourselves as regards the receipt of passcodes in practice.

Yes, the CPBK are, indeed, the only other UK bank I'm also aware of who are prepared to provide passcodes required for performing certain online banking functions by email. Most other UK banks still appear to require the use of card readers which the CPBK ditched a couple of years ago.

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

Most other UK banks still appear to require the use of card readers which the CPBK ditched a couple of years ago.

Its not only banks - this is becoming a real problem in other sectors.  When registering for the NHS App for example, they authenticate you by sending a code to your phone by SMS. One solution is to use Wifi calling - providing you can access that.  I'm currently in the process of switching providers as I'm tired of waiting for O2 to fulfill their promise to include support for SMS messages on their Wifi calling system at some point this year.

I don't know if its a system problem or something providers are resisting but I find it very annoying that if I set 'data' to my Thai SIM (dual SIM phone) and turn on Wifi calling, I can receive OTP's from Kasikorn in Thailand but at the moment I can't get them on my UK SIM.

7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't know if its a system problem or something providers are resisting but I find it very annoying that if I set 'data' to my Thai SIM (dual SIM phone) and turn on Wifi calling, I can receive OTP's from Kasikorn in Thailand but at the moment I can't get them on my UK SIM.

you need to use your Thai sim for OTPs for Kasikorn, it's just the way it is

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

you need to use your Thai sim for OTPs for Kasikorn, it's just the way it is

You misunderstand.  What I'm saying is............. my UK mobile provider doesn't support SMS messages on their Wifi calling system so I can't receive OTP's from my UK bank. However, I also have a Kasikorn account with online banking and a dual SIM phone - when I want to carry out a transaction on my Kasikorn account, I simply switch to my Thai SIM, activate Wifi calling and I get the OTP via SMS.  Which is the third world country?

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You misunderstand.  What I'm saying is............. my UK mobile provider doesn't support SMS messages on their Wifi calling system so I can't receive OTP's from my UK bank. However, I also have a Kasikorn account with online banking and a dual SIM phone - when I want to carry out a transaction on my Kasikorn account, I simply switch to my Thai SIM, activate Wifi calling and I get the OTP via SMS.  Which is the third world country?

so you've not got roaming activated with your thai sim?

I know you say you cant change you adresse and mobile to Thai your self.
Have you ask your bank ?

I am from Denmark and a little over 10 years ago when i move here.
I was not able to change it my self in the Bank system.
But my Bank did it for me with no problems.

Only a idea to try out if you have not ask them.

I have since drop my Danish bank total, As Denmark being part of EU the Bank need a lot of paper work nearly every year.
To prove that I was me, And got tired of that, So drop my Danish bank, And get my pension direct to my Thai Bank.

Kindly.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

so you've not got roaming activated with your thai sim?

Fat lot of use that would be to him, I think, if he can't get a signal on it (see immediately below)!

On 8/19/2021 at 8:09 PM, KhaoYai said:

I have no mobile signal in my UK home

3 hours ago, JJ Madcow said:

I know you say you cant change you adresse and mobile to Thai your self.
Have you ask your bank ?

UK banks who require transactions to be verified by SMS insist, without exception, on passcodes being sent by this means solely to UK mobile numbers.

Edited by OJAS