Thailand reports another record high of 14,575 coronavirus cases and 114 deaths

webfact

1 minute ago, smedly said:

offset 100/1 by the recent mass exodus of foreigers that decided it was no longer prudent to remain in Thailand ( I personally know of 7) plus add to that the massive reduced spending due to restrictions recently imposed makes BT400m is pocket change

Oh. You can add me! I'm leaving too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My wife's 70+ year old mother, who lives upcountry, has been talking regularly with my wife about the virus and vaccines situation. The M-I-L, lord knows where she gets her news, doesn't want to go anywhere near the Sinovac vaccine and seems to have convinced my wife to be hesitant about getting vaccinated in general.

You can say plenty of things about the Sinovac vaccine and argue about the different efficacy findings and lack of credibly reliable data especially regarding the newest variants..  But I do think it's unarguable that for an older person, the Sinovac vaccine is certainly at a minimum better than nothing.

(But, that's also NO kind of argument in favor of the Thai govt. continuing to buy and dispense it if other better alternatives are available.)

They also have a global network as a source of all types of info and the trust in the central authority is pretty low out here so that might include any info coming from those sources.

12 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I might be driving the Mrs FFF to Bangkok next month so I might have to check out the requirements as well.Good luck on your trip!

Gf kids and their husband/wife out of hospitals after treatment. now 14 day hospitel Qtine in kalasin before ret. to home in bkk.where they must do another 14 days. Seems very cautious if this is the standard procedure.They all will relocate back to Kalasin and Qtn again.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You can say plenty of things about the Sinovac vaccine and argue about the different efficacy findings and lack of credibly reliable data especially regarding the newest variants..  But I do think it's unarguable that for an older person, the Sinovac vaccine is certainly at a minimum better than nothing.

I don't want any vaccine as they are relatively untested and new and generally experimental, but if I do take that risk (which I will) I want to make sure that it is one that offers me good protection - IMO sinovac does not offer me that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Cognitive dissonance re: Covid data is intense around here. Anything showing a decline is dismissed as "the numbers are undercounted" where as anything showing an increase in pandemic severity is accepted as de-facto correct. One might call it a pandemic of confirmation bias.

largely based on what we see from countries that actually produce accurate data - the data is published and readily available - apply that profile to Thailand and there is very obviously something wrong

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, smedly said:

?..................B6.1b

Mr. Anucha said the Cabinet has also agreed to procure 10.9 million more doses of the Sinovac vaccine, at a cost of 6.1 billion baht, to supply the national COVID-19 vaccination drive, adding that the government will continue its search for supplies of vaccines made using various development technologies. (NNT)

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thailand-eyes-free-vaccines-from-us-while-buying-10-million-doses-more-from-sinovac-362678

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I fortunately managed to score an AZ first shot at the end of June.

Are you 100% confident that you will be able to obtain AZ for your second shot in the required time frame?

I wouldn't be completely confident. Possible on offer sinovac or nothing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, sapson said:

Has anyone managed to buy a Covid test kit from their local pharmacy yet? they were said to be available this week but I havent seen any at the moment.

as I keep saying - I would rather buy a test kit that told me if I had already had the virus - I don't need a test kit to tell if I have it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you look at how many people that has finished the vaccination program in the top 4.

Malaysia 15,4% , Indonesia 6,1% , Thailand 5,1%  and Myanmar 2,8%.

Not one single country on that chart is even close to reach 70% which many use as a goal.

Singapore is the one with most vaccinated on the chart.

It's pretty clear that the lack of vaccinations are a problem after the Delta variant appeared.

Not good news ???? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rabas said:

From the article, for those who denigrated vaccines or said they don't work:

"In hospitals around the country, 97% of people admitted with Covid symptoms are unvaccinated, and 99.5% of all Covid deaths are also among the unvaccinated."

Why are those numbers so different to the UK who claim that 60% of those in hospital are unvaccinated?   Since the older and more vulnerable are vaccinated first, and its still possible to end up in hospital with covid even if vaccinated, those numbers from the US sound a bit too good to be true for vaccinated people.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Ventilators being withheld for certain patients. Sign of a complete breakdown in services:

"Thammasat University Hospital just issued an order on criteria for withholding intubation for elderly #COVID19 patients in critical conditions. Two criteria are the patient is 75 & over & have chronic diseases."

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1418236643811594246

The Lombardy, Italy, syndrome from Spring 2020. Triage is basically on the basis of "live or die". A truly dreadful state of affairs and a nightmare scenario for doctors and nurses whose own lives are at serious risk on a daily basis. 

Things will get worse before they get better.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Even though the government is now doing the reverse for 1st shot Sinovac folks, now planning their 2nd shot as AZ..... because of the questions re Sinovac effectiveness against Delta.

That's what fuelled my concern.

Wasn't it decided (suggested) that the front line medical personnel would receive an AZ booster. 

Let's hope AZ available to all those that already have received AZ first shot.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, James105 said:

Why are those numbers so different to the UK who claim that 60% of those in hospital are unvaccinated?   Since the older and more vulnerable are vaccinated first, and its still possible to end up in hospital with covid even if vaccinated, those numbers from the US sound a bit too good to be true for vaccinated people.    

Different vaccine, mRNA versus AZ. Also more older people in the US may have refused vaccines. They contribute more towards hospitalizations.

Both help explain the difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

That's what fuelled my concern.

Wasn't it decided (suggested) that the front line medical personnel would receive an AZ booster. 

They did talk about giving AZ to previously Sinovaced medical staff... But more recently, they've also talked about using their share of the upcoming U.S. Pfizer doses as boosters for medical staff... So it's become fuzzy to me which they're actually going to end up using.

The medical staff lately seem to have been pushing hard for the mRNA Pfizer doses as their boosters.... So I'm guessing that should help relieve any pressure demand on the AZ side.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They did talk about giving AZ to previously Sinovaced medical staff... But more recently, they've also talked about using their share of the upcoming U.S. Pfizer doses as boosters for medical staff... So it's become fuzzy to me which they're actually going to end up using.

The medical staff lately seem to have been pushing hard for the mRNA Pfizer doses as their boosters.... So I'm guessing that should help relieve any pressure demand on the AZ side.

Thailand’s ‘Fed-up Doctors’ group is demanding the country switch to mRNA vaccines amid reports that even medics double vaccinated with the Chinese-made jab are being infected with the Delta variant of the coronavirus

Health care workers have been angered by a leaked memo showing experts fear giving doctors Pfizer jabs donated by the United States could undermine confidence in Sinovac

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3140979/coronavirus-thai-doctors-want-pfizer-vaccines-amid

• Thanks 2