Plan to attract a million foreign investors stalls yet again: TAX breaks are the sticking point

webfact

14 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

If this scheme allows them to actually OWN the land, I wouldn't put it past the Chinese government to sponsor them to do just that.

Condo owners do not typically own the land.

Probably a million units available across all of Thailand.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikebell said:
9 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

To be fair, many Thais I know have difficulties understanding what a billion is, so imagine a trillion...

I am British and was taught a million had SIX noughts.  So how many in a billion, please?  And a trillion too?

Apparently, a trillion is a million million, 12 zeros. Must mean a billion has 9 zeros...except of course, it doesn't....

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

If you stay in Thailand for more than 180 days days you are tax resident in Thailand, and shall pay income tax to Thailand, which is actually the case for all foreigners staying here for more than 180 days.

Any income from abroad is taxable in Thailand, if it's brought into Thailand - i.e. transferred - during the same calendar year that earned.

If a foreign income is already taxed in a foreign country, like many retirement pensions are, and the is a double taxation agreement between the foreign state and Thailand, the income will not be double taxed.

For some people it can be a benefit, if their income taxation follows the country of tax-residence, and theryby to have the income taxed in Thailand, if the income tax percentage is lower. This is for example the case for some European countries; however, those countries might insist on taxation as country of source for the payout, for example retirement pensions paid by a government, or retirement savings based on tax deductions in earlier income...????

Yup, that's why I set up a separate seasoning account in the US that gets the US earnings for that year, well documented, and spend it in the next calendar year here.  A couple of rotating accounts.  If I don't spend it all, it goes into another overall savings account and that emptied account gets filled with that years earnings, etc...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hockeybik said:

Will 1,000,000 rich Chinese come here to buy condos?

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

They don't need a single western participant to meet their million investor goal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Whale said:

If you want to attract them give them tax free for x years and then a slowly rising amount.

The majority (digital Nomads and retirees) will not be paying any tax anyway as they will use the 1 year money import rule. They are supposedly "well off" before they come here anyway so will have reserves for the 1 year rule).

If you want them to start Thailand based businesses then 17% is not attractive enough IMHO.

Same with retirees. They have to pay tax to the home country.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smithson said:

The point of attracting foreigners is to bring money to the government/country. Why should they pay less income tax than locals or long term expats, many of whom are self employed?

The locals pay tax?

17 hours ago, Whale said:

The majority (digital Nomads and retirees) will not be paying any tax anyway as they will use the 1 year money import rule.

I would argue the majority are in fact paying tax, just in another country (definitely the case for US citizens). Double tax agreement means they would only pay extra if the other jurisdictions tax rate was under 35%.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mikebell said:

I am British and was taught a million had SIX noughts.  So how many in a billion, please?  And a trillion too?

Long ago when I was at school a UK billion was a million million but a USA billion was a thousand million. I think the latter is accepted as the norm now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Captor said:

The locals pay tax?

Of course, they all pay tax in some form. Regarding income tax, if their salary is high enough they pay tax, as do almost all farang. 

To encourage the very rich to live here by allowing them to pay less tax than locals would create resentment.

It sounds like a plan to bail out the rich, with poor Thais hardly benefitting. Better to letter the empty condos be sold cheaply.

20 hours ago, medina21 said:

Great idea. Buy a 10 million baht condo which is only worth 7 million in the local market. When governments mandate prices, they create a false market. Also, the 10 year visa will be renewable every year, so is not a 10 year visa.

To be fair, a lot of countries have these “investment” schemes where you get long term residency in exchange for buying specific government approved real estate projects.  

Thailand isn’t breaking any new ground with that.  

19 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Because the logic behind any plan aimed at attracting foreign investors is to make coming to Thailand attractive

While  ignoring those who are here already and invested for more than 20 years, yes, it makes more sense now ????

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

While  ignoring those who are here already and invested for more than 20 years, yes, it makes more sense now ????

if you’ve been here 20 years, what would be the government’s incentive to notice you to stay?   Your likelihood of leaving is near zero, and you’ve already invested.  

This isn’t a reward system where people are being paid back.  

It’s like when HBO offers a free month for rent subscribers.  The idea is to entice new customers.   

Should they also give a free month to everyone that’s already a subscriber too? 

When a car dealership runs a promotion for new car buyers do you go to the dealership and tell them you should get the promotion too because you bought a car 6 years ago?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Completely different issue.

The OP is discussing attracting new investors. 

Edited by Bluespunk

31 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Whatever. Just a warning for those NEW investors, once you are here you know what to expect. 

I seriously doubt many will be fooled by this “lure”, if it is ever put together that is. 

On 7/23/2021 at 12:24 PM, mikebell said:

I believe that a billion is a thousand million (1000,000,000) and a trillion is thousand billion (1,000,000,000,000)?

Academic really, as I rarely have more than a couple of thousand Baht left at the end of the month!

• Haha 2

On 7/23/2021 at 11:19 AM, webfact said:

The Thai plan is to entice one million well-heeled foreigners into the country this year.

They hope offering ten year visas, deals to buy 10 million baht condos and give work permits will provide a one TRILLION baht windfall for Thai coffers. 

They are truly delusional.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Apparently, a trillion is a million million, 12 zeros. Must mean a billion has 9 zeros...except of course, it doesn't....

In the UK a billion used to mean a million million. Now, the American usage has been widely adopted at least in govt. & financial circles  so that a billion means a thousand million.

"The old UK meaning of a billion was a million million, or one followed by twelve noughts (1,000,000,000,000). The USA meaning of a billion is a thousand million, or one followed by nine noughts (1,000,000,000). ... The UK government has been using the American meaning of billion since 1974 for the numbers it gives out."

http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/campaigning/past-campaigns/budget/how-much-is-a-billion.html

On 7/23/2021 at 7:58 AM, billd766 said:

Will the business be subject to the 49/51 % law, and will the farang owners HAVE to abide by the 4 Thais per 1 farang rule?

If the answer to either or both questions is yes, Thailand can forget it.

How about the 49/51 % law when buying a condo?

If they get a 10 year visa (a good idea IMHO) will the farangs still have to make 90 reports, fill in the TM 28 and TM 30 every time they stay somewhere else overnight?

Will they have to have 800,000 or more in the bank and prove it to Immigration every year?

Just some of the niggely points to be aware of.

I bought a condo and the 49/51 % rule also comply to the building where you buy your condos.

So, you can can only own 49 % of the building. If the building have more than 3 condos you will be owning 100 % of you condo.