Plan to attract a million foreign investors stalls yet again: TAX breaks are the sticking point

webfact

59 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

To be fair, many Thais I know have difficulties understanding what a billion is, so imagine a trillion...

I am British and was taught a million had SIX noughts.  So how many in a billion, please?  And a trillion too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Whale said:

If you want to attract them give them tax free for x years and then a slowly rising amount.

The majority (digital Nomads and retirees) will not be paying any tax anyway as they will use the 1 year money import rule. They are supposedly "well off" before they come here anyway so will have reserves for the 1 year rule).

The "1 year money import rule" does not apply to income generated locally. 

Ie. If they work from Thailand they must pay income tax even if they import that income in the following calendar year/s. 

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I am British and was taught a million had SIX noughts.  So how many in a billion, please?  And a trillion too?

Very simple. Add three 0 to the million to make it a billion, and a further three 0 to male it a trillion. For continental Europe a Milliard is a billion and a billion stands for a trillion. Clear????????

• Haha 2

I'm not sure many people would care that much of the tax breaks, Thailand taxes are incredibly low with allowed deductions.
A millionaire could certainly transfer money tax free before entering Thailand, then get him/herself a small salary (100K/150K) per month and pay an effective tax rate of close to 5%.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Many rich people from my home country would be overwhelmed with happiness to pay only 35 percent income tax, but those that intended to move out for tax reasons have probably already done so, and pay even less income tax...????

Maybe I'm missing something here. Surely income tax is only paid on actual income generated in Thailand. How will this effect wealthy retirees or anyone they are looking to attract that is not actually working in Thailand??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whale said:

If you want to attract them give them tax free for x years and then a slowly rising amount.

The majority (digital Nomads and retirees) will not be paying any tax anyway as they will use the 1 year money import rule. They are supposedly "well off" before they come here anyway so will have reserves for the 1 year rule).

If you want them to start Thailand based businesses then 17% is not attractive enough IMHO.

The one year rule applies to prior earned money which you can use the 'savings route' option.. It can be used with anything that is not active work (dividends, past commissions, residuals, etc etc) but 'active work' work for which you perform any current decision or action to achieve is day 1 taxed, the if it is remitted in any year is no longer relevant for active income.

Of course proving what you actually earn, without full oversight of accounts and accounting, is very difficult. 

2 hours ago, Smithson said:

The point of attracting foreigners is to bring money to the government/country. Why should they pay less income tax than locals or long term expats, many of whom are self employed?

Because the logic behind any plan aimed at attracting foreign investors is to make coming to Thailand attractive

• Like 1