Thailand Signs Deal to Buy Moderna Vaccine

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, placnx said:

While Pfizer is a lot better than Sinovac, in Israel the latest news is that Pfizer is only 39% effective in preventing infection from Delta:

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/coronavirus/1626980447-vaccine-39-effective-at-halting-virus-transmission-91-against-serious-illness-israel-s-health-ministry-says

So the Pfizer booster and an updated vaccine would help.

Scary stuff this COVID-19.

It mutates so damn fast.

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Once the Army and various other favoured groups have had theirs.

I think a lot of smart people who paid up front are going to end up out of pocket and without a vaccine.

... 555, nail on the head man, can't link on here, just search for ' Armed forces unit under fire over special request for Moderna vaccine ' ...

... the protocol division of RTA of all outfits, now that's a LOL ... hardly one more useless!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Actually I heard it was October, with the latest being that the government is giving 1 million doses to the Red Cross to give to provincial heads to distribute to the poor, however the red cross selling it to them at 200 baht profit per dose, fricking unbelievable this country, also wife says a letter from a military head to the red cross was leaked asking the red cross to give these shots to a list of Hi So families if you can believe it ?

I can believe it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jollyhangmon said:

... 555, nail on the head man, can't link on here, just search for ' Armed forces unit under fire over special request for Moderna vaccine ' ...

... the protocol division of RTA of all outfits, now that's a LOL ... hardly one more useless!

Yes, I read that - unbelievable yet at the same time quite credible!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

More unanswered questions than answers:  

• How many shots will the Thai Red Cross siphon off before the prepaid Moderna becomes available?

• How many prepaid Moderna accounts through the private hospitals?

• Given the increased interest in Moderna, and the increasing caseload, why didn’t they order 10 million shots, or more?

• Why did this take so damned long?

Questions that need to be asked!

I'm wondering who added "Thais that need to travel".

I'll just send my family to Singapore for the weekend.  Does that entitle them to Moderna?

5 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

They didn't have the money because they put it all in their deep pockets since the beginning of the outbreak when they said(and thought) everything was under controle . Now when it's time to pay up they say they don't have the money . But they have the money to keep on talking about subs and spaceships . I wonder if there is ever someome going to look into this moneygrabbing sceam . I think they thought that Grab delivery was doing so well they wanted Grab as well , only they Grabbed without giving any service .

It isn't going to happen not in my life time because the people are so condition as just part of doing business!  Ten years or close I read an article in the BK Post that the country loses 200 Billion a year due to their leaders corruption one has to wonder what is it today?  In a survey Thai people feel a bit of corruption is good for the country paying graft for doing business is just part of doing business in this country as long as it is acceptable by citizens that are brainwashed and accept it these old swamp dogs will continue doing what they do best and past it down to their children.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

It isn't going to happen not in my life time because the people are so condition as just part of doing business!  Ten years or close I read an article in the BK Post that the country loses 200 Billion a year due to their leaders corruption one has to wonder what is it today?  In a survey Thai people feel a bit of corruption is good for the country paying graft for doing business is just part of doing business in this country as long as it is acceptable by citizens that are brainwashed and accept it these old swamp dogs will continue doing what they do best and past it down to their children.

Well they have been brain washed to lay down and grovel at the feet of their masters 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Mike k said:

Well they have been brain washed to lay down and grovel at the feet of their masters 

Just go to Thai T.V. Channel 3, each evening and you will get more than you bargain.  There is a saying I have living here " Monkey see Monkey do " 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

Probably RTA really the force behind the Red Cross order of 1.1 million shots.  At least I hope so.  How else could Red Cross afford to prepay it?  OK with me—as long as they don’t borrow shots from prepaid private hospital customers.

• Like 1

Once again, reported posts with derogatory terms/ references to vaccine have been removed. STOP IT.

Any further instances may result in your ability to post being removed.

Posts denigrating and calling Chinese vaccines useless and referring to it with derogatory names have been removed.

Whilst it may be ineffective in certain cases i(e Delta strain) it is by no means useless.

At the end of the day this is a Thai government sponsored vaccine and the forum and or yourself can get in trouble for comments like this so please stop it.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 9:43 PM, internationalism said:

wait, they suppose to sign it the last Monday.

Gen Prayuth has spoken to them personally, at face to face meeting and shaking hands photo opportunity, on 19th April, just after coming back from his extended songran hooliday and did promise an immediate action, ie order.

That was over 3 months ago.

If signed and ordered on that day, this vax had a chance to be already in Thailand, even in initial, small quantities, just for medics

I agree with you entirely.

I get quite confused with all the head lines:

Thailand agrees to buy 5 m

Contract for 5M doses ready

5 M doses to be delivered

and then 3 months later:

"Thailand signs deal to buy..."

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Derek B said:

By now there must be newer vaccines in the global works unless the "rich countries" have stopped bank rolling the research & development costs.

I wonder about Novavax.

"The mRNA Vaccines Are Extraordinary, but Novavax Is Even Better"

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/06/novavax-now-best-covid-19-vaccine/619276/

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The US thinking was not to give it emergency approval because it wasn't considered necessary given the success of the vaccines already approved. Maybe with Delta that thinking will change. Of course, that shouldn't stop the rest of world from using it.

It may have less vaccine hesitancy from those who have sincere concerns about new technology:

"The protein-subunit approach used by Novavax was first implemented for the hepatitis B vaccine, which has been used in the U.S. since 1986. The pertussis vaccine, which is required for almost all children in U.S. public schools, is also made this way. Some of those people who have been wary of getting the mRNA vaccines may find Novavax more appealing."

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/06/novavax-now-best-covid-19-vaccine/619276/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About time. My wife paid and ordered Moderna last month and was told it would be available in October. So obviously they never had the money for it and had to get the citizens to pay up front so they could buy it. 

On 7/23/2021 at 9:26 PM, wensiensheng said:

How many more times are they going to announce this Moderna deal? These days it’s just embarrassing to hear about it again. We get it. 5 mil doses, December. Or in other words, too little, too late.

Who are you talking about, the government, the newspaper, ThaiVisa?

October is when it is coming, I heard. 

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2021 at 9:10 AM, hioctane said:

Expected delivery was still 4th quarter. They are many countries ahead of the line.

Probably the countries ahead in the line of Thailand have corruptly made their deals with the vaccine companies. Brazil is one example. The negative Nellies are out in force here, moaning about good news again. lack of vaccines in Thailand is due to corruption from other countries, not in Thailand, although there is some here. All the 'donations' to COVAX are not fair, with the richest countries getting vaccines first. I understand people getting scared, anxious, and paranoid that foreigners are being left out(untrue) but just relax, the government is doing a good job and you will get jabbed very soon.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2021 at 5:59 PM, MrJ2U said:

No, its the Sinovac that doesn't work.

mRNA vaccines are very effective against the Delta variant.

Moderna will only be available to the private hospitals and smart people who paid in advance.

Dude, literally just fly to the US tomorrow and go get the vaccine for free.  Everyone I know that wants the vaccine in Thailand has already flown to the US to get it. If you’re really that scared of covid, what’s  a few thousands bucks to go to the US and save your life? Treat it as vacation, the US is awesome. 

I’m personally not interested in getting the vaccine as the creator of the vaccine recently advised against young people getting it as we don’t know the long term side effects. For example, many believe mRNA vaccines will increase your odds of getting cancer later on in life. Too many unknowns for anyone under 50 to risk getting vaccinated.

*Unapproved source edited out*

Edited by Scott
Unapproved source edited out
  • Confused 2