WHO Suggests Tightened Measures to Control COVID-19 Spread in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

13 minutes ago, sucit said:

Extremely short sighted and even obtuse not to mention or think about current and projected deaths caused by lockdowns. 

what is clearly going to happen over time is Swedish deaths are going to be lower relative to other countries. In the end it is going to be close to a wash. Yet, Sweden didn’t lockdown. Make any sense? I would assume not. 

To quote your own words, "Extremely short sighted and even obtuse not to mention or think about" demographics when commenting that "Swedish deaths are going to be lower relative to other countries"

Makes any sense?

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Tesco in north Pattaya was shut today I wonder why?  Was there yesterday no problem.

I am sure we will hear soon, my guess is a covid outbreak among people working there just like Central Festival has been a spreading location amongst staff for several weeks

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Sweden did not wipe out their population and they never locked down and had no face mask regulations. Life is back to normal there now.

Australia thought that too and along came delta, don't be getting too ahead of yourself

Sweden has a small population - many major cities have a greater population than Sweden - it should have been very easy to control covid there and roll out vaccines - they could be over the worst if vaccines remain effective

Edited by smedly
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, pissedoff2am said:

How many Thai's lives will be destroyed by these lockdowns? How many suicides, ruined business, lost schooling, social issues. There is a HEAVY price for this that you are dismissing.

Good point and I am not dismissing these issues ( sorry if my previous post was written poorly).  To the contrary, I think lockdowns are terrible but IMO semi lockdowns are justified.  To what extent, I'm far from all knowing but think the current lockdown is good enough until the deaths level off.  Hopefully by the end of year half the pop will have been vaccinated and things are better.

I haven't really seen the desperation of the poor yet but I'm sure it is happening.  I thought lockdowns would result in riots and hordes of of homeless hungry Thais last year.  Hasn't happened but still IMO small chance of it might.

32 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Here again is the graph I posted on the previous page. Explain this away.

image.png.97a6fb4180fa3146ed965cb8a2005aef.png

It is honestly hard to even take you seriously. You do realize you can’t compare nations with widely different populations. Right?

Do you want to compare total deaths in USA to Malta to make your next point? Lol

I will set you on the right track to straighten yourself out. Thailand has a very low number of deaths. But, what is happening now? 

The key is to avoid lockdown related deaths, which you completely ignore, and safely work your population through the virus.

But congratulations. You have quite amazingly ignored more than half of the problem: lockdown related deaths. And these are from younger people so the number of years lost can be mush higher per death. I am glad you think you have a point though. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

A post discussing another member and the replies have been removed:

25) No public discussion is allowed with regard to other forum members, as well as to advertisements or sponsors, or methods of blocking advertisements.

Some other posts have been removed. 

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

As I pointed out in my original posting of that graph, Norway, Finland, and Denmark each have about half the population of Sweden. Even adjusting for that, Sweden's performance is dismal against all three.

You got some numbers on lockdown related deaths that shows their numbers to be anything close to those who died from Covid?

Please. Go back to comparing total deaths with nations with different population numbers. Your analysis is indicative of your understanding of the overall topic (hint: deaths from lockdowns themselves left out). 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Sweden, Norway, Finland have similar population density. They also have a similar non multi generation household culture, and culture overall. They are good apple to apple comparisons. 

I don't understand you bringing up comparing USA and Malta, the member you quoted certainly didn't compare different demographis so who did?

You don’t understand? Let me clear it up for you. 

Sweden and Denmark have different population numbers. He was comparing total deaths lol

Again, that would be like comparing total deaths in a very large country, to a very small one. It’s unforgivably obtuse, and should not be taken seriously, especially when not considering deaths the lockdowns cause themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Got some evidence to support your contention that SWeden had more part-time workers at their homes? 

I see no mention of that here:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-sweden-nursinghome/swedish-watchdog-finds-serious-failures-in-covid-care-at-nursing-homes-idUSKBN2841FN

As for GDP, Sweden performed at about the same level as did the economies of Denmark and Finland 2 countries that enforced tight restrictions.  Norway's GDP suffered because a significant shares of its revenues come from petroleum.

HoSoLoSoNoSo is correct about that. Sweden does have many more part time workers working in elderly care. But, the fact that politicians knew this and still prioritized people contributing to society contributed much more to deaths.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sucit said:

Google “lockdown effectiveness” and u will have all the evidence you SHOULD need. 

When someone makes a claim, it's incumbent upon them to provide the evidence. Not ask others to do their work for them. 

I did do a brief search though and came up with this:

DeSantis Advances Questionable Link Between Lockdowns and Despair

https://khn.org/news/article/desantis-advances-questionable-link-between-lockdowns-and-despair/