Poultry plant in Thailand’s Phetchabun closed after 1,600 workers infected with COVID-19

042D3AA7-876B-42C4-872E-8CF67AF1E8FE.jpeg

A frozen poultry processing factory in Thailand’s northern province of Phetchabun has been closed down after more than 1,600, of the 7,200, were found to be infected with COVID-19 during active screening yesterday (Friday).

Phetchabun Governor Krit Kongmuang said today that active screening is still under way today and it is expected that up to half of the total workforce of 7,200 may be infected.

He said he has ordered the immediate closure of the Golden Line Business plant, an affiliate of Saha Farms Company, one of Thailand’s largest frozen poultry exporters, located in Kanchu sub-district of Bung Sampan district.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/poultry-plant-in-thailands-phetchabun-closed-after-1600-workers-infected-with-covid-19/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

active screening is still under way today and it is expected that up to half of the total workforce of 7,200 may be infected.

will be interesting to see the spike in numbers in the next few days on the daily report. 

• Like 1

Amazing positivity rate if it does turn out to be 50% as they expect. No way that happened overnight, it must have been brewing for a while. Early testing might have stopped it before it got too far. It’s strange that all factories aren’t testing regularly, as they are a proven infection point, as are markets.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

It doesn’t actually say that they are busily working away with no symptoms or illness. In fact, I’d bet that they only discovered this mega cluster as a result of exactly that; people with symptoms and illness. How else would they know?

They are still continuing testing and expect more than half the 7200 to test positive. A disease so serious that you need to be tested to know if you have it or not......keep following the herd.....

The WHO has handled this together with the media appallingly.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

If you have nothing serious to say, better say nothing

Don't let comments from others ruffle your feathers, I for one won't let those childish comments make me madder than a wet hen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Surely brings up the point that this is not the be all and end all as 1700 odd people busily working away with no symptoms or serious illness? To close everything through a result that shows that people can perform normally even with it seems beyond ludicrous to me..

Perhaps they were concealing symptoms to preserve their income?

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

A frozen poultry processing factory in Thailand’s northern province of Phetchabun has been closed down after more than 1,600, of the 7,200, were found to be infected with COVID-19 during active screening yesterday (Friday).

Phetchabun Governor Krit Kongmuang said today that active screening is still under way today and it is expected that up to half of the total workforce of 7,200 may be infected.

So a company that size not doing any internal health checks or worse no cleanliness regime?

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

closed down after more than 1,600, of the 7,200, were found to be infected

For reference and latest from a rival news outlet which cannot be named:-

"PHETCHABUN: Covid-19 testing continued on workers at a chicken processing plant in Bung Sam Phan district of this northern province on Saturday, with 3,117 testing positive for the virus so far."

Sadly, Phetchabun Province a "Red Zone" in the making????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Surely brings up the point that this is not the be all and end all as 1700 odd people busily working away with no symptoms or serious illness? To close everything through a result that shows that people can perform normally even with it seems beyond ludicrous to me..

Must be food safety. Would you eat any of their chickens?

16 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

It’s strange that all factories aren’t testing regularly, as they are a proven infection point, as are markets.

Is it? Losing your workers to death, hospitalization, or quarantine is bound to impact productivity and profits

5 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

They are still continuing testing and expect more than half the 7200 to test positive. A disease so serious that you need to be tested to know if you have it or not......keep following the herd.....

The WHO has handled this together with the media appallingly.....

You should apply for the top job then ... you seem to have understood what they and people like me on this forum haven't.

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Is it? Losing your workers to death, hospitalization, or quarantine is bound to impact productivity and profits

I agree with your statement.

I don’t understand your question “is it”. Seems to me that your statement simply confirms what I said, which is that it’s strange that factory workers  aren’t being tested regularly as they are a proven infection point.

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The big question is 

How did 1600 workers manage to become Infected if there was an effective " Active screening " process in place.

If the screening was good it should have been picked up after about 10 Workers, and then the Plant Closed and sanitized.

I guess its the old profits over welfare thing again.

This greed and utter stupidity from these Thai Employers will bring down the whole Country for sure. Again we are seeing the rich getting away with whatever thy wish

Exactly the same happened in meat processing plants in my country also, i recall it happened in the US and UK and many other countries as well. The cold, moving air in meat processing plants spreads covid rapidly.

Edited by MayBeNow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MayBeNow said:

Exactly the same happened in meat processing plants in my country as well, i recall it happened in the US and UK and many other countries as well. The cold, moving air in meat processing plante spreads covid rapidly.

There certainly does seem to be a correlation of cases linked to these kind of places.

The US had issues in the Meat Packing factories, as did the UK, and now Thailand.

Worrisome for Thailand as a large producer of Canned Fish such as Tuna , and a very large Poultry Product Exporting Market.

Surely, armed with these facts that we all know about, the factories should be extra careful about Infections.