TAT chief says October reopening plan for ten provinces will need to be reassessed in light of pandemic

webfact

This came as the spokesman for the economic situation brought on by Covid, citing TAT figures,  insisted that tourism spending will be 850 BILLION baht this year. 

Lies, lies and more lies. In a normal year, tourists spend just in excess of 3 trillion baht. All 39 million of them. Somehow, they will achieve nearly 25% of that figure this year, with how many tourists? If you take their own numbers of 35,000 tourists to date, and add in another 20,000, that is 15 million baht per tourist. Wow. Guess they have finally figured out how to land the big whales. 

2 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

Come on, just skip all restrictions and open up. Then the tourists will come. The tourists doesn't care about covid,  only about restrictions. 

So is it for the tourists that you want it all opened up, or for yourself so you can just do what you want unhindered.  Tourists are a rare breed these days as who, even if vaccinated wants to come to a place where the population is barely vaccinated and can re-infect them with the possibility of sustaining major medical issues.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Interestingly he did not comment on potential tourists looking at Thailand and thinking that a visit might not be advisable at this time or in the coming months, especially with other more favorable domestic or closer to home options available to US and European tourists. 

Ah Ah Ah ... I see a slight sarcastic streak in this sentence ... ????

No need to reassess just wait it will be fine your only at 15,000 cases a day surely that's an  exceptable number in return for brown envelopes,  just call it a SANDBOX and everything will be fine, Thailand the Hub of deception, corruption, lies, and brown envelopes 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The chief of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Yutthasak Suphasorn has noted that the pandemic is out of control in Thailand and vaccination is still low, reported Sanook in a brief report. 

Wow, never in my life did I ever expect to hear the truth from T.A.T.

I'll wait though, to see if Anutin or Payut confirm it or reject it in tomorrows news.

may need Readjustment??? Totally agree...but definite and not where TAT is thinking. How about starting with the guy who is, more or less, crying into his milk saying '...it has come to this...' Whoever said 850 billion ฿ this year needs some real back up...I understand Goats are good at that.

I guess the regime bless the Covid-19, because now they can blame the lack of tourist on that instead of their own mistakes and of course the mess around Covid-19 here is not because of mistakes from the regim, it is because the farrangs (sarcasm). By the way Philippines have stopped travel to Thailand and Sweden advises against it. Be sure that more will come. I feel pity for the thai people who have a government that only try to find more ways to kill the people and put more money in their own pockets.

• Like 1

If they continue their "zero case covid" policy for sure they wont reopen for a very very long time.

BUt if they give vaccines to fragile people and only count the hosptilazations/deaths, a reopening in september/october is still doable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The chief of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Yutthasak Suphasorn has noted that the pandemic is out of control in Thailand and vaccination is still low, reported Sanook in a brief report. 

Well, N.S.S! However did you manage to come to that conclusion. I bet you have a terrible headache now?

6 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It definitely doesn't work both ways in this country such a suggestion will be met with blank stares of incomprehension.

True. Part of the deep-rooted xenophobism. The Thais are a super race, don't forget it!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It will be difficult for Thailand to reach 20,000 cases because then they would earn the unenvious title of "the sick man of asia".

They already have far more than 20,000 cases regardless of them being tested or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saltire said:

Yes I agree, what I am saying is that something has to fill the hole of up to 20% of GDP (tourism), because it won't be tourism. They need to build on those industries and explore new ones. Agricultural oportunities would seem the obvious one with vast swathes of available land. Most discussions seem to be aound when the previous high will return, I am suggesting never to a very long time.

Quite. Those in government responsible for that part of the GDP will be scrabbling around looking for ways to get some of it back. Other departments will be taking more appropriate action to reduce the shortfall, and they are not without avenues to explore.

I suspect a large percentage of senior figures in the tourist industry have already found other avenues leaving the customer facing brigade and the casual labour out in the cold.

• Like 2

I predict the whole country will have to close all borders as before by October with the rise in infections it won't take long to go to other provinces with the sandbox and Samui plus. i see already Phuket has rising infections. so far Samui has only a few as far as we know .     

TAT chief says October reopening plan for ten provinces will need to be reassessed in light of pandemic. 

Reassess alright ,they shoot of their mouth before even thinking. they should Assess Before making those stupid reopening plans.

5 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The Thai ship of state isn't in any danger of foundering because of limited foreign tourist arrivals (much to the chagrin of some).

Tell that to the people without jobs due to the close down of the tourist sector. Tell that to those now sleeping on the streets or in buildings abandoned as the businesses that once occupied them no longer function. Tell that to those who know people that have taken a jump off high buildings as they no longer had any way to feed themselves.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"This came as the spokesman for the economic situation brought on by Covid, citing TAT figures, insisted that tourism spending will be 850 BILLION baht this year."

What????????? 

From Bangkok Post 21/4

Total tourism revenue for 2021 was being revised down from 1.218 trillion baht to 850 billion baht, the minister said......

Edited by hashmodha
Additional information

Why are so people unkind????‍♂️
I am extremely grateful for the ministers enlightened verification that “you can’t put brains into statues and make them human”????

I’m now eligible for appointment to the Ministry????????????????????????????????

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I'm pretty sure they do but I don't see them publishing numbers higher than Malaysia or whom ever has the highest number of positive tests.

Agreed on this.

Personally I think it's an example of 'headline dodging'.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Saltire said:

When I read these TAT announcements I always wonder if anyone is giving serious thought to what else Thailand can 'sell', other than temples, beaches and 'entertainment'.

I personally can't see tourism ever coming back in the same volume as before, but I sure can see a pandemic coming back, repeatedly.

Time for another committee to talk seriously about putting some of their eggs in a few different baskets?

ahhhh...... but thats where you haven't been paying attention..... although delayed Thailands plans to patrol the depths of the Bay of Siam with fast attack submarines will undoubtedly bring assurance to any potential tourists that should Thailand be attacked while they are here on vacation a suitable and protective defence will repel any and all invaders and then there is  the "Somtam in Space" program.... this will bring potential tourists in their droves to queue up to watch the inaugural launch of Thailands journey to the final frontier..... It would do you well to remember these arent just hastily put together "larb moo in the sky" ideas rather they are essential for Thailand's future prosperity , peace and another significant step on the road to ensure the happiness index for each and every Thai person continues its parabolic climb....eggs are in the baskets as they say..... 

• Haha 2