Thailand's pandemic crisis: More cases in Isaan as vaccination among elderly fails to hit targets

webfact

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that Thailand's Covid-19 pandemic was at a dire juncture with the situation worsening and vaccination failing to hit targets by a wide margin. 

Dr Jakrarat Phithayawonganon  of the DDC said yesterday there were 15,335 new cases and only 19 of these were brought in from abroad. 

6,069 were in Bangkok, 805 in the far southern provinces, and 7,801 in other provinces. 641 were among the prison populations. 

There were now cases rising in every Thai province and of especial concern was central and southern Isaan (the north east of Thailand). 

These were caused by people going home for treatment as well as there being more clusters in factories. 

The doctor noted that previous assessments of infections being caused by family members and close relationships were now being seen less; with up to 80% of cases asymptomatic it was hard to tell where people had been infected from.

But most worrying was that targets to inoculate 12.5 million older people were not being met at all. 

He said that only 20% of the elderly had even received a first dose of vaccine and just 1.3% of elderly people had received two doses so far. 

This needed to be accelerated, he noted. 

He called on strict adherence to the lockdown measures in place lest Thailand be forced to implement a "Wuhan Model", a far more strict version of lockdown.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-26

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Allowing free, uninterrupted Travel between Provinces was always going to lead to this conclusion.

A 10 Years old child could have told you this would happen.

" more clusters in Factories "

And the solution to this is for an order to be made instructing the Factories to make available Isolation for their Workers within the actual factories.

and that is actually happening now, wifey's brother and his lady are living in a tent in the factory where they work. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Thai population has already acquired a level of resistance due to widespread exposure to an earlier variant?

You only acquire a resistance if you've had it and built up a level of immunity.

The earlier waves last year as you indicate didn't touch 95% of the population, so where did their immunity come from?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Noone in my Khmer family still living in the village has been vaxed. Too frightened given the stories they've heard.  As far as I can tell, much the same across the whole village. Statistics not a strong point.

Whether that'll change for the Fizzers & the Mods, who can tell, but of course the Fizzers & the Mods may never actually arrive here at the end of the world.

I have pointed out to the b/f that he'll need to get done once AZ is available for the non-geriatrics. Otherwise we won't be able to travel, probably ever.

In my village nobody has received an appointment at the hospital.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

These were caused by people going home for treatment as well as there being more clusters in factories. 

These were caused by people being sent home for treatment...

Thank you Bangkok for your undying efforts since Songkran to keep spreading the Love. 
At this rate the country will have natural herd-immunity before they reach a 50% vaccination target in 2022.  Then jack up PCR cycle counts to 55.  You'll find cases on mangoes.
"Vaccinate all mangoes" will be the new rally cry. 

Yep. Just keep spreading the virus nation wide.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

In my village nobody has received an appointment at the hospital.

The villages in our tambon range from 30% registered to 4% registered. 
Whatever pro-vaccine propaganda they're attempting to use on the rural folk, I can assure you, it isn't working.  Or my source is off - but I doubt it.  Some of the elderly may have received it but it's not generally available nor particularly wanted by the locals. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, connda said:

The villages in our tambon range from 30% registered to 4% registered. 
Whatever pro-vaccine propaganda they're attempting to use on the rural folk, I can assure you, it isn't working.  Or my source is off - but I doubt it.  Some of the elderly may have received it but it's not generally available nor particularly wanted by the locals. 

Health officals were out in our moo ban last month, trying to get the old folks to register. Upon hearing Sinovac, nobody wanted it. The wife and I went to the nearest big hospital and were told AZ was also available. So we registered, and that was two weeks ago.

• Like 1

It is the same in lots of the villages in rural Kamphaeng Phet.

Whilst the hospitals and clinics would love to give vaccinations, there are simply not enough vaccines available.

They seem to have been diverted o the block hole known as Bangkok, which as everybody knows, is far more important than rural Thailand.

Meanwhile rural hospital beds are being taken up by people from Bangkok.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Whilst the hospitals and clinics would love to give vaccinations, there are simply not enough vaccines available.

They seem to have been diverted o the block hole known as Bangkok, which as everybody knows, is far more important than rural Thailand.

Looks like the rural folks get shafted at both ends. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

You only acquire a resistance if you've had it and built up a level of immunity.

The earlier waves last year as you indicate didn't touch 95% of the population, so where did their immunity come from?

Oh contraire'! I did not indicate anything other than the opposite. Given the initial presence of prolific numbers of Chinese tourists at or even before the recognition of Sars covid 2 is it not possible that a vast percentage of the Thai population was exposed to the initial/ original (Alpha ?) virus which may correlate with reports at that time of an undefined virulent respiratory infection that was  quite widespread?

It is now medically acknowledged that insufficient immune response or exposure to the more virulent variants of Covid-19 has resulted in renewed infections in a percentage of people. Some seriously and some without any consequence as in asymptomatic. "Long Covid" is perhaps a complication related to a mix of that?

My suggestive speculation is  based on previous reports that approx 45% of people globally have been found to be asymptomatic.

Yet in this report of a concentrated workforce group has revealed  80% asymptomatic positives?

Given that is accurate and genuine it (IMO) raises the question as to why ?

Unfortunately the answer to that question does not remove the  complications involved in track and trace of possible cross infections potentially perpetuated by so many asymptomatic  carriers .

30 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Bringing  Love Covid to the people ? Nobody will  be left untouched !

9 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Basically a reiteration of the factual reality that the vaccination roll out that wasn't has permitted an uncontrolled spread. An 80% asymptomatic detection rate is very interesting. Certainly does not help in any hope of containment but is perhaps an indication that the Thai population has already acquired a level of resistance due to widespread exposure to an earlier variant?

Interesting.

• Like 1

There's no places up here in Northern Sakon Nakhon to get vaccinated.  We've got two elderly sisters living with us.

There adamant about not getting Sinovac.  I have a feeling thats what the North Eastern Issan area will be left with.

well, if the old folks don't want vaccine then so be it,  tired of all the vaccine naysayers, etc. being catered to.  Let them stew in their own juices I say.  Most countries have an over abundance ot the aged anyway.

• Sad 6

51 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Health officals were out in our moo ban last month, trying to get the old folks to register. Upon hearing Sinovac, nobody wanted it. The wife and I went to the nearest big hospital and were told AZ was also available. So we registered, and that was two weeks ago.

Today the daughter put me (using pink card) on a list for the elderly at the tessaban for AZ vaccination.

No idea when it will materialize.

One temple in the area has been converted to a "field hospital".

Seemingly quarantine/asymptomatic returnees from Bangkok.

Daughter is member of the health volunteers and has good contact to the nayok ("major").

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

There is nothing about vaccines here in Sakon Nakhon.  Nobody wants Sinovac thats for sure.  

Tell the ignorant idiots to take ANY vaccine that they can. They can always get a Pfizer jab as a booster in 4 months time. Jesus wept.... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

11 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

There's no places up here in Northern Sakon Nakhon to get vaccinated.  We've got two elderly sisters living with us.

There adamant about not getting Sinovac.  I have a feeling thats what the North Eastern Issan area will be left with.

Tell these fools to get the sinovac now and then a pfizer booster towards the end of this yr.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Spent the day at the main hospital with uncle

Very very quiet inside and out

Morer staff than patients , most of whom seem to be on their phones

BUT, one surpirse was  waiting for the lift to go back to the ward

as i entered, was joined by 2 staff, both dressed in full hazmat gear and a patient on a trolley

They leave the lift at the same floor, and then to my surprise, they wheel the covid patient through the normal ward, then through some doors into what has become the isolation ward for covid patients

Why on earth would anyone transport infected people through the lifts and wards that the public, and sick people use  ???

• Like 1