Thai teenager dies 'after being electrocuted in bed while charging smartphone’

webfact

46 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Buy an immersion heater.  

Do you think they are safer? I have seen many that are not... they are also less efficient. Probably not needed unless you want to fill a bath.

3 hours ago, itsari said:

Never saw any indication that he had rolled on his phone charger . I never read that he had placed two wet fingers in a plug . 

Many have died from phone chargers and now we have one more unfortunate . That is not rubbish

Indeed, it is not rubbish. This happens on schedule once/twice a year. It appears in the news regularly all over the world.

Normally I, as a retired electronic designer of just such chargers, dish on the dangers of cheap knockoff Chinese chargers. They convert 220 mains voltage to 5V power. And yes, one can be electrocuted thru ear buds when a charger fails and has no internal protection.

I won't bother anymore. Cheap is cheap and stupid is stupid.

Move on. Nothing to see here.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

and the other day a guy allegedly mining bit coins got electrocuted.  All these things make me feel less and less safe when I step in to a Thai shower that uses on demand electric water heating units.  Proper GFCI?  Doubtful

using a hair dryer when in the bath tub is dangerous also  .....

3 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

and the other day a guy allegedly mining bit coins got electrocuted.  All these things make me feel less and less safe when I step in to a Thai shower that uses on demand electric water heating units.  Proper GFCI?  Doubtful

and you worry about covid ???

6 hours ago, johng said:

That's what I have done kind of unintentionally   as my old water heater did not have a built in ELCB !!   but the new one does. 

P_20200306_150256.thumb.jpg.4414259e3d50fa7493c8824a987158b5.jpg

( P.S I leave the sticker on to remind me when I bought it :tongue: )

isnt the toggle switch outside ??

17 hours ago, wprime said:

Rubbish - he didn't die from "rolling on his phone charger". Phone chargers are 5V DC, that's harmless.

He died from something else such as shoving his wet fingers into the 240V AC plug it was connected to.

The output is 5vdc, but the line input to the charger is 240vac, 

If exposed conductor on cord he may have very well been elocuted.

17 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

Them mining rigs use a lot of power 

12 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Them mining rigs use a lot of power 

yes.  My Nephew had a similar sized rig and had to install a window room air conditioner just for the small room he had the rig in.  Those processing boards are amp and power hogs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cobra said:

The output is 5vdc, but the line input to the charger is 240vac, 

If exposed conductor on cord he may have very well been elocuted.

Yes, it's to do with the mains power, not the charger. Also I believe they use 230Vac in Thailand.

Edited by wprime

Keeping the phone plugged in next to your pillow, so you have power through the night and a charge in the morning, seems like a good idea, until you see things like this. Now I leave it over on the table.

Too many kids on their phones late into the night. It's why they can't get up for class in the morning. They've been pushed into it as they get yapped at by their parents for being on the phones all day. So they refrain, then do all their catching up once the parents have gone to bed.