Thai teenager dies 'after being electrocuted in bed while charging smartphone’

webfact

10pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Police were called to a room in Bang Pong district of Ratchaburi on Sunday after a man was found dead in bed.

He was an 18 year old electrician called Phanu who worked as a fitter of satellite dishes. 

Friends called in the police after calls to his mobile went unanswered.

Police found no suspicious circumstances and it was assessed he had been dead for six hours.

He appeared to have been sleeping in his room and probably rolled over onto his phone charger on the bed and was electrocuted, reported Daily News

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-26

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

and the other day a guy allegedly mining bit coins got electrocuted.  All these things make me feel less and less safe when I step in to a Thai shower that uses on demand electric water heating units.  Proper GFCI?  Doubtful

And still least heard type of accident?

I sometimes try the test button.

Also have double safety by using a separate ELCB for the device.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Also have double safety by using a separate ELCB for the device.

That's what I have done kind of unintentionally   as my old water heater did not have a built in ELCB !!   but the new one does. 

P_20200306_150256.thumb.jpg.4414259e3d50fa7493c8824a987158b5.jpg

( P.S I leave the sticker on to remind me when I bought it :tongue: )

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wprime said:

Rubbish - he didn't die from "rolling on his phone charger". Phone chargers are 5V DC, that's harmless.

He died from something else such as shoving his wet fingers into the 240V AC plug it was connected to.

Although it is rare, people can and do die from accidents relating to charging mobile devices.

For example, charging a phone can be a fire hazard and it is recommended that you never charge your phone at night whilst you are sleeping.

Also, many people here use cheap

non original chargers which aren't of the same quality as those supplied with the phone.

This is a particular problem with iPhones and iPads because original replacement cables are expensive so many people tend to buy cheap knockoffs.

So if you need to use your phone or device whilst it is charging then safest option by far is to buy a power bank.

And even power banks have been known to explode, particularly if they start to swell.

You have been warned....!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gk10012001 said:

and the other day a guy allegedly mining bit coins got electrocuted.  All these things make me feel less and less safe when I step in to a Thai shower that uses on demand electric water heating units.  Proper GFCI?  Doubtful

GFCI? Oh yes in Thailand "Gern Frien Can Injoy".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

That's what I have done kind of unintentionally   as my old water heater did not have a built in ELCB !!   but the new one does. 

P_20200306_150256.thumb.jpg.4414259e3d50fa7493c8824a987158b5.jpg

( P.S I leave the sticker on to remind me when I bought it :tongue: )

did you not forget to test the safety breaker every month. because they have the habit to break down too and still not come in to action when needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wprime said:

Rubbish - he didn't die from "rolling on his phone charger". Phone chargers are 5V DC, that's harmless.

He died from something else such as shoving his wet fingers into the 240V AC plug it was connected to.

Ya.  Maybe it wasn’t his finger that got shoved into that 240v. Outlet!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

that switch next to the water heater in the photo does not look like an ELCB to me.

It's got a test button on it  and when I press the button the switch flips to the off position  so I believe it is an Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker  that it claims to be.