Cheap decent red wine

Kenny202

20 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Tesco were recently selling for 830 baht:

spacer.png

Now possibly up to 1600 baht.

I doubt it's the same wine as the one mentioned by wwest5829, as this one is from the Margaux region, although it is produced by Château Boyd Cantenac, and is one of the wines a bit lower down the scale, whereas it's quite likely that the ones left to his sons by the aforementioned poster are what are called, "Premier Cru" (first growth) wines down to the fifth growth wines, called "Cinquiemes Crus", any one of which can be a very good wine.

Not only that, because of their class and classification, they do increase in value as the years go by, and just a few weeks ago I had one which was 40 years old, and although it had lost a lot of its fruit, and was not the sort of wine I would drink on a regular basis, you could still tell there had been a certain "classiness" about the wine.

Interesting to note that some of the fine wines, including those mentioned above, keep increasing in value because of their rarity, and indeed some of the wines which are 60 years old plus, although they would be very expensive to buy, are really collectors items and not for drinking any more (not that the French would tell you that).

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 6:20 PM, xylophone said:

Not so as the fruit/juice is fermented with the grape/juice so it is fermented into alcohol, but the fruit wines are not usually that high in alcohol, so there must be a way by which the alcohol is controlled. Also I remember reading that for a wine to qualify as "fruit wine" for lower tax purposes, there only needs to be 15% of fruit/juice added to the mix, so the sugar content of that amount wouldn't be noticeable in the final product.

The lowest "real" wine I have seen here is the Tesco Vineyard range which was selling at 349 baht a bottle and it is a lightish wine that would suit Thai food, pizzas and some pasta dishes. Next up are a couple of wines selling for around 380 baht from Chile, so apart from the Tesco's wine, just about anything else priced below that will be fruit wines, perhaps with the odd exception!

Yes that wine Kulu is from Chile and not too bad but if you are taking a bottle to a friends house make sure they have a cork screw , only wine I know that is still with cork.

On 7/28/2021 at 6:10 PM, xylophone said:

You may be onto something because I was also sure that I'd seen it labelled as a fruit wine, and it was "Laughing Bird Dry Red", but getting onto the Cranswick Estate website, I noticed that they've got another range of wines, whereby the actual grape variety is on the label, i.e. "Shiraz" for example, and that may well be an upgraded wine from the one which used to be a fruit wine, if indeed I'm correct??

More research needed Holmes!

Yes , a good evening can be with a couple of mates and a few bottles of the above Reds discussing the good and poor points of a variety of reds. Similar but no so fancy will be at a mates on the 12th as his birthday and he makes gallons of Mulberry wine and I will take McGuigans Black Label Red.  Our wives like many I suspect don't drink wine as ' sow wow '. I have to drive home slowly through the styx.

• Like 1

Cheap decent red wine ???

Sorry to disappoint, in Thailand, this "thing" doesn't exist. The closest thing would be water.

Now, we'll have to define what "cheap", "decent" do mean lol

Due to supply constraints here in Thailand, I prefer to drink less but good. Once or twice a year, I order wine from abroad: mostly Sancerre, Chinon, Saumur Champigny, Muscadet, Chablis, Gevrey Chambertin, Morgon) and keep them in a dedicated wine storing unit.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 1:06 PM, Bruno123 said:

Tesco were recently selling for 830 baht:

spacer.png

Now possibly up to 1600 baht.

I tried it, did nothing for me. Would not ry again but thats me. "Tesco finest" has been going down the tubes in the UK, for quality, for a few years now. 

3 hours ago, Whale said:

I tried it, did nothing for me. Would not ry again but thats me. "Tesco finest" has been going down the tubes in the UK, for quality, for a few years now. 

I won't argue; other than the range offered decent value here when discounted to 'normal' prices.

• Like 1

If you mean pay $40 for a bottle of wine here and on last trip to NZ it was $10 rip off big time. Not worth it but I will smile to my self when next in NZ when I buy a $40 bottle it will taste out of this world

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, whiteman said:

If you mean pay $40 for a bottle of wine here and on last trip to NZ it was $10 rip off big time. Not worth it but I will smile to my self when next in NZ when I buy a $40 bottle it will taste out of this world

I pay $18-$22 for a very drinkable red wine here, mostly from Australia, with the occasional one from Italy and Chile. I have also contacts with a few importers and distributors, whereby I can pick up some really great bargains from time to time, so I stock my wine fridge up when these are available.

As I've been drinking wine for almost all of my life, I won't let price put me off, so I pay it and enjoy the wine, however I would not buy any fruit wine, because that is just a waste of my palate, commonsense, time and money, and I noticed someone mentioned that Peter Vella was a good, but it's also a fruit wine from the Siam winery stable.

If one is going to drink "real" wine in this country, then do it, and for me it has to be the real thing, or I won't drink it, or if the real thing doesn't become available here, I will move to another country where it is.

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Get him a bottle of Port and maybe some Stilton cheese to go with it

Now you're talking..............and it reminded me that I have to order another 6 bottles of Port, so will be on to it today!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They used to say Thai's are not cheese lovers, all the ones I know are, quite often we used to get family and friends visit us come down from BKK My wife used to buy a selection of cheeses and grapes out comes a bottle of port

I've only got one bottle left but it seems a bit anti social drinking it alone, beer is ok

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

They used to say Thai's are not cheese lovers, all the ones I know are, quite often we used to get family and friends visit us come down from BKK My wife used to buy a selection of cheeses and grapes out comes a bottle of port

I've only got one bottle left but it seems a bit anti social drinking it alone, beer is ok

Yes, I have found that some Thais I know, my daughter included, like cheese, however others don't, and I do know that most don't like the "smelly" cheese!

In fact I can't stop eating the stuff and if I have got a block of Stilton in the fridge it soon goes, so it's lucky I've found two places that stock at the moment.

I was pleased you mentioned the port and Stilton because I've just gotten onto my wholesale distributor and the full bottle of port has come down in price so I have ordered six bottles of it and also six bottles of a particularly nice Italian Appassimento red from Veneto which has also been reduced in price.

I was in Central Phuket earlier today and I noticed that the Taylors LBV port was just under 1500 baht a bottle, so I'm getting mine at a considerable discount at around 750 baht a bottle, and it is a very nice port indeed.

Got to have something to lift the spirits, so to speak, in these trying times!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Yes, I have found that some Thais I know, my daughter included, like cheese, however others don't, and I do know that most don't like the "smelly" cheese!

In fact I can't stop eating the stuff and if I have got a block of Stilton in the fridge it soon goes, so it's lucky I've found two places that stock at the moment.

I was pleased you mentioned the port and Stilton because I've just gotten onto my wholesale distributor and the full bottle of port has come down in price so I have ordered six bottles of it and also six bottles of a particularly nice Italian Appassimento red from Veneto which has also been reduced in price.

I was in Central Phuket earlier today and I noticed that the Taylors LBV port was just under 1500 baht a bottle, so I'm getting mine at a considerable discount at around 750 baht a bottle, and it is a very nice port indeed.

Got to have something to lift the spirits, so to speak, in these trying times!

I think what it is, Thai's were only eating the <deleted> cheese from 7/11 and thought that was cheese, when it's not even I dont eat that I used to tell them show them the real stuff they eat it

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 7:52 PM, xylophone said:

Try the "Barwang" (399 or therabouts) range and see how that suits.

Thoroughly enjoyed a bottle of Barwang "The Wall" Shiraz last night with my favorite lovely lady. Deep purple color, rich and flavorful yet nice and dry. A fine recommendation at what was marked B500 but a real bargain when it rang up at B400. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed a bottle of Barwang "The Wall" Shiraz last night with my favorite lovely lady. Deep purple color, rich and flavorful yet nice and dry. A fine recommendation at what was marked B500 but a real bargain when it rang up at B400. 

Good to hear, and I've seen it at many places for 399 baht, but at 400 baht it is still a good buy IMO.

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Good to hear, and I've seen it at many places for 399 baht, but at 400 baht it is still a good buy IMO.

I don't overly mind coughing up that extra 1 baht...especially when this gal is sharing with me! ????????(555 know u meant B500 and I agree) 

There are no decent "cheap" red wines...but there are a few acceptable ones for not much money. Just have to let them "breathe" for a bit..

I appreciate we pay about x2 or x3 what they are normally.

Yellow tale...drinkable and cheap at most Villas.

IMG_9988.thumb.jpg.d94d8500fc77718029bb3ebf18af2188.jpgIMG_9987.thumb.jpg.f41fc603853a5e9f3fafa8ae5a2c460d.jpg

Alamos 799...about £9 in the uk!

19 Crimes at Villa 599.

IMG_7981.thumb.jpeg.7f70be513453466d3c8df4aead1c3aed.jpegIMG_1646.thumb.jpg.24e82d460ae307f0fd8ba5576782af2b.jpg

Colina super cheap...sell it in the wine shop in Taniya on the right hand side coming from Saladaeng.

Edited by RAZZELL

4 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

There are no decent "cheap" red wines...but there are a few acceptable ones for not much money. Just have to let them "breathe" for a bit..

I appreciate we pay about x2 or x3 what they are normally.

Yellow tale...drinkable and cheap at most Villas.

IMG_9988.thumb.jpg.d94d8500fc77718029bb3ebf18af2188.jpgIMG_9987.thumb.jpg.f41fc603853a5e9f3fafa8ae5a2c460d.jpg

Alamos 799...about £9 in the uk!

19 Crimes at Villa 599.

IMG_7981.thumb.jpeg.7f70be513453466d3c8df4aead1c3aed.jpegIMG_1646.thumb.jpg.24e82d460ae307f0fd8ba5576782af2b.jpg

Colina super cheap...sell it in the wine shop in Taniya on the right hand side coming from Saladaeng.

I like the "19 Crimes" range and luckily can buy it here for 499 b a bottle and the "Taras" at 500 b a bottle, and have been disappointed with some Chilean CS wines as they can be a bit "green/herbaceous", esp the cheaper ones.

Have been finding some good Primitivo wines at reduced prices, so I snap then up, and searching out the discounted/mispriced wines has become a bit of a hobby of mine!

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 9:02 PM, clivebaxter said:

Mont Clair is from S Africa

On the subject of Montclair, I have just noticed on their new labelling/packaging that they now openly state that it is a fruit wine by including the following sentence, "Montclair is wine from South Africa, blended with orchard fruits".

Now that's a turn up for the book, because for a while they omitted any mention of fruit or fruit wine, so perhaps someone has had a word in their ear about the legality of the correct labelling of wine and fruit wine?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 7:09 PM, xylophone said:

On the subject of Montclair, I have just noticed on their new labelling/packaging that they now openly state that it is a fruit wine by including the following sentence, "Montclair is wine from South Africa, blended with orchard fruits".

Now that's a turn up for the book, because for a while they omitted any mention of fruit or fruit wine, so perhaps someone has had a word in their ear about the legality of the correct labelling of wine and fruit wine?

aren't fruit wines easy to spot based on the alcohol %? today i had a look at the wines in Big C, first time in 20 years on and off in Thailand and fruit wines always seem to be 10-12% and generally obvious they have fruit added. So 14% won't be fruit wine for definite, but I'll check the label..

Bought Riddle Creek Reserve Shiraz 14% today, 399 baht, I'm expecting it to be average

Edited by scubascuba3

41 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

aren't fruit wines easy to spot based on the alcohol %? today i had a look at the wines in Big C, first time in 20 years on and off in Thailand and fruit wines always seem to be 10-12% and generally obvious they have fruit added. So 14% won't be fruit wine for definite, but I'll check the label..

Bought Riddle Creek Reserve Shiraz 14% today, 399 baht, I'm expecting it to be average

Good point and not easy to answer, because wines 10% ABV or under are taxed lower, and also fruit wines fall into another tax bracket because they have a min of 15% of fruit juice added............at least I think that is how it works!!!

This wine is made by De Bortoli in the Riverlands region which produces vast quantities of cheap every day BBQ type wine, so would be interested in your opinion.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's ok, average for the price. Wouldn't seek it out, but would drink again. If that makes any sense?