Todays Tesco experience

poppysdad

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

why do women never get their purse out until all the items have been rung up? then fumble about for the cash, or more often a time consuming card. I have the money in hand before the check out starts. I avoid Tops after they started having to stick paid for labels on everything, and then sign them!

Ah mate this is a woman thing, but for JC sake dont say anything or you will get the evil stare or worse. Wear it.

3 hours ago, mark5335 said:

and then there are those that remember in the mid-1990's when it was simply Lotus, before Tesco's takeover post-1997 Asian Financial Crisis prompting the name change to Tesco Lotus.

And there are loads of us in Pattaya that for years called Big C Extra the old Carrefour.

20 hours ago, poppysdad said:

I know it’s now Lotus’s but to people like me who’ve been here many years it will always be Tesco

If you had been here that many years --you would be calling it Lotus.......:coffee1:

Tesco entered Thailand in 1998

by buying a majority stake in the

Lotus Supercenter hypermarket for $365 million

I don't notice it in T/Lotus but I do in Makro.  The checkout lady comes round and scans the contents of the biddie's trolley , it gets rung up the bill comes then the old biddie starts to look for her purse in her bag. That's it , gets on my noms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Card said:

I had exactly the same experience a couple years ago. Patience in the face of stupidity is not one of my strengths. After putting up with that sh*t for long enough I exploded and the culprits scrambled to complete their payment. The cashier seemed to appreciate it as she couldn't do anything about that sh*t.

Ive had this too,loaded trolley   over 2000 baht worth,awaiting  while customer in front cleared till  ,loaded the belt with half,other half  in trolley  Customer never cleared till  just gabbed and gabbed and gabbed........I dumped the stuff  there and then,asked customer in front to make room for my exit

Ah, the joys of life in Thailand, or anywhere really.   Good thing is a lot of us have more time than money these days and ought to care a bit less about these things, but it is somewhat cathartic to muse about it on-line.  

Speaking of being on-line, how about that 7-11, at 5pm, near a busy market, on a weekend pay day, after MEA/PEA bills have been sent out.  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I have seen somebody in front of me leaving her things at the checkout desk to go and get something I presume she forgot. I immediately put her things out of the way and put my things in their place, then asked the girl to attend to my items,  then she carried on serving me.

hey, Blue Suede, leave my wife out of this!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fredscats said:

Ive had this too,loaded trolley   over 2000 baht worth,awaiting  while customer in front cleared till  ,loaded the belt with half,other half  in trolley  Customer never cleared till  just gabbed and gabbed and gabbed........I dumped the stuff  there and then,asked customer in front to make room for my exit

So you had to spend some time shopping for all that 2000Baht of groceries, could not wait an extra 5 mins to be checked out, used more time to dump half the groceries making extra work for the store staff and customers behind and then had to go to another shop to buy your groceries all over again. How much time was saved by self importance?

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 2

Have to admit to being guilty of getting to the checkout then racing back down the aisle to grab something I forgot. 

So now make a shopping list on my phone. Getting old!!

The other one is half way through checking out the cashier tells me "this one buy one get one free" so it's back off again to pick up the bonus item. 

Wouldn't happen if they made the promotion visible in English and Thai like they do in Hong Kong (English and Chinese )

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Last time I went to my Sperm Bank I ended up in a queue behind a woman paying-in a month's takings......????

I've got a mate who ran into  a sperm bank wearing a balaclava, he told the girl on the desk to drink a couple of deposits or he would kill her,after she did he lifted his mask up and said, it's only me barbera, told you it didn't taste that bad.. 

Just back from Tesco S Pattaya ,wow they are running out of stock fast half the shelves were empty or just had lines of the same products , wonder if its the covid causing the problem or the new owner has not done a deal with Tesco for their products? 

3 hours ago, DaLa said:

I have a strict not before 18:00 curfew on drinking alcohol so anything to spread the time out before that is ok with me.

I also spent the previous 45 years tearing around like an insect on meth earning a living and filling my days with 25 hours of activity. It feels good to be able to take my time filling my day with mundane tasks at the pace of a Lada, full of elephants and going uphill.

I have a curfew on the first drink of the day, anytime after 9.30 AM???? Just back from Big C, spent millions on a refurb over the past 2 years looks nice, but the belts don't work at the tills

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

The ubiquitous Phantom Thai Shopper who parks up and goes on walk-about.  ????

Rudest Things People Do at the Grocery Store | Reader's Digest

Could have been me. When I walk away it mostly takes very long until I find my shopping cart again. 

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2021 at 3:56 PM, Captain Monday said:

How about a GRAB driver who drives right past, nobody else around,

stops 5  meters away and calls me on my mobile.

I sometimes feel I am invisible. Or maybe they don't look out ?

They refuse to toot their horns, and always call my wife, who then has to call me, to tell me they are outside of the house with my food. 

This guy is alot more polite than I am. I do not suffer fools easily these days. I would have nudged them out of the way, to begin with. Are you Mrs. Tesco? No? Then move on please. Get a cup of coffee somewhere, and you can yak yak all you want. Ok? I am shopping, there are a dozen people behind me, so show some courtesy to the planet. You are not the center of the universe, ok? All with a big smile!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mark5335 said:

and then there are those that remember in the mid-1990's when it was simply Lotus, before Tesco's takeover post-1997 Asian Financial Crisis prompting the name change to Tesco Lotus.

I think there was only 2 Lotus stores, both in Bangkok?  Tesco opened hundreds more superstores plus the small Express format before CP bought it back.  I here Tesco sold it to cover the UK pension fund shortfall.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:43 AM, worgeordie said:

I usually get behind a market stall holder, who decides to pay with a wad of 20 Thb notes ,at Makro , or in Big C ,who has all the discount vouchers on their phone, and takes forever flipping through the phone to find them. ????.

regards Worgeordie   

P.S. it's not Tesco's now but Lotus'ss

So your the one in front of me????