Todays Tesco experience

poppysdad

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Which reminds me ........

I go shopping with the misses and put a 500bht tray of beer in the trolley, the misses grabs it and puts it back saying, "That's expensive, we don't need that". A bit further down the aisle she puts a 1000bht tub of face cream in the trolley, I put it back saying, "That's expensive, we don't need that". She complains, "But teerak, that face cream will make me more attractive for you", I walk back down to the beer, put the cans back on the trolley and say, "The beer will do the same, and costs half the price!" 

Boom boom????

Not sure about how it is in other provinces, but I find that Macro Click delivery rocks! No covid to worry about nor gabbing floozies to deal with either, very convenient.  

On 7/26/2021 at 11:56 AM, Captain Monday said:

How about a GRAB driver who drives right past, nobody else around,

stops 5  meters away and calls me on my mobile.

I sometimes feel I am invisible. Or maybe they don't look out ?

Polar opposite to this one... 

You are about to cross the road and are waiting for a gap in the traffic... 

Taxi driver pulls up, slowing down, hesitates and hovers blocking your attempt to cross the road...

Damn.. you’ve just missed that window and now have to wait for another suitable gap in traffic !!!

Or... quietly walking down the road and a taxi, or tuk tuk pulls up, paps their horn, you ignore them, paps their horn again, you look.. its you who’s attention they are trying to get ??? “what, you don’t want a ride ???”...

Yup... thats why we are not stood on the side of the road waving at him !!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clivebaxter said:

I have a curfew on the first drink of the day, anytime after 9.30 AM???? Just back from Big C, spent millions on a refurb over the past 2 years looks nice, but the belts don't work at the tills

My Lotus's (what's with the extra apostrophe s??) also did a refurbishment..took  week and now I can't find a blooming thing?

Zero improvement.

Moved everything around and added lots of fresh meat and some (half dead, limp) vegetables. 

Significantly reduced the previous packaged meats in the coolers, and other of their previous lines.

Prices also seem to have gone up...but beer is still the same luckily. 

Btw, there is a medium sized fresh food / wet market right next door, so why go into competition with these poor traders ? Trying to look like a mini Tops I think.

Isn't working !!

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Which reminds me ........

I go shopping with the misses and put a 500bht tray of beer in the trolley, the misses grabs it and puts it back saying, "That's expensive, we don't need that". A bit further down the aisle she puts a 1000bht tub of face cream in the trolley, I put it back saying, "That's expensive, we don't need that". She complains, "But teerak, that face cream will make me more attractive for you", I walk back down to the beer, put the cans back on the trolley and say, "The beer will do the same, and costs half the price!" 

I doubt that's original with you, but if it is, congratulations. You gave me a good laugh on an otherwise dreadful day, ????

• Thanks 1

The Chinese tourists used to be great at cutting "queues" at stores. Thai people just stood there too polite too say anything. At the 7-11 nearby my limit was two aunties, the third would get a loud "NO" 

Suddenly looking around as if rest of the customers  just teleported there from hyperspace.

Totally Oblivious

• Like 2

Poopysdad Have the Thai Monopolies Commission actually agreed to the purchase of the Tesco share

of Tesco Lotus by the CP Group, I believe it is called, who also own BIG C's, Seven Eleven's, Makro etc etc.

This is stitch up and prices will start to rise.  I feel sorry for the low income thais in this takeover.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:43 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

As long as the sign outside says Tesco Lotus then that's what it is ????  I have seen one - one - item in there with the new name though.

Have they not changed them yet? The one near Numchai on Sukhumvit was done months ago.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:28 PM, jvs said:

I hope he did,i would have.

I would have been a lot more forthright.

On 7/27/2021 at 8:00 AM, tonray said:

The worst is Tops when they have some kind of promotion with either coupons or where shoppers need to scan some code and show a return code to the cashier on their phone....half cannot seem to use the phone so the cashier has to grab it from them and do it for them and the other half start disputing the amount of the dicsount and then instruct the cashier to remove certain items from the checkout (already checked out) that they thought were discounted....causing the necessity for a supervisor with the key to void the item. ...just buy your stuff and pay with cash people...it's a simpler world.

I just give my phone to the cashier to sort out their coupon/reward system. You need a degree from Tops university to navigate this. My cashier(s) at Central Food Hall seem to find coupons out of nowhere, so it's much better they operate than my feeble attempts.

On 7/27/2021 at 1:38 PM, orchidfan said:

Have to admit to being guilty of getting to the checkout then racing back down the aisle to grab something I forgot. 

So now make a shopping list on my phone. Getting old!!

The other one is half way through checking out the cashier tells me "this one buy one get one free" so it's back off again to pick up the bonus item. 

Wouldn't happen if they made the promotion visible in English and Thai like they do in Hong Kong (English and Chinese )

My friendly cashier sends the packing guy. Although, because of Covid, I now use a personal shopper, (she's doing it as I type), in the days when I went in, there were 4 at the check out. It's nice to be important, (and important to be nice!).

On 7/27/2021 at 1:13 PM, DBath said:

I could buy a two-year supply of good beer for what my Chinese wife spends on that stuff. And it’s always gotta be the most expensive line of Estee Lauder SHlT, too. But I will say she makes up for it by being a sensible spender when it comes to everything else, so I guess that’s okay.  

I presume that 'when it comes to everything else'  that includes your birthday presents.  The real con with all that face cream and gunge women use is that the main ingredient is listed as AQUA!

Although I completely sympathize with the OP (have found myself in a very similar situation on more than one occasion), I find it sad that people nowadays don't have time to just chill. I find it annoying, but adorable, that some older people still talk to one another - completely obvious to what's going on around them. 

We should all be so lucky to have so much free time on our hands and a friend to talk to/who will listen to us. 

On 7/27/2021 at 2:11 AM, clivebaxter said:

why do women never get their purse out until all the items have been rung up? then fumble about for the cash,

It is a male / female thing, throughout the world. 

Men have their wallet out, ready to pay.

Women will stand there looking confused, then the cashier asks them to pay. 

They look genuinely surprised 'What I have to pay now?' 
As if no one told them they had to do this.

Then they take out their bag, look for their purse.
Then they rifle through their purse, looking for cash or card.

Then they struggle with the card machine.

It is a universal thing. 

A bar tender told me this, when he worked in clubs, men have their wallet out ready to pay, women often don't.

I have seen it 1000 times and it still surprises me.
There must be an explanation for this, but I've never found it.

My theory is that they like shopping, and try to make it last as long as possible.

Edited by toast1

‘khor tort’ Na Kharp

On 7/27/2021 at 10:02 AM, konaboy said:

Recently went to the Makro that does not sell alcohol. Large purchase. whipped out the visa and was told-"we only take Citi." fortunately I had enough cash on hand.

New in town. But now I know

I went to a coffee shop, I ordered a gaa faae laawn , the waitress asked me in English ,if I wanted a GF ! I said,I have too many !

Edited by riclag
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2021 at 8:46 AM, thecaveman said:

Especially the Tops supermarkets are known for this kind of annoyance because they have so many different coupons for almost every item plus general cash vouchers. It's even worse when the person in front of you starts paying the utility bills in addition to the purchase. Checking out at Tops often takes forever.

But the most annoying checkout process for me is the one at Makro. That's because their printers don't start printing until the whole process is complete. They don't print during the scanning process, but wait until the payment is made. So after the person in front of you has already paid, the printer starts printing the receipt and everyone has to wait for the printing to finish before a new scan can be started. Because their printers are incredibly slow, in some cases the printing process can take as long as the scanning process itself. This is highly inefficient because we customers have to wait forever and the cashiers spend up to almost half of their work time doing nothing but waiting for the receipts to print.

Printing the receipts while scanning would speed up the process tremendously, which would not only be better for us customers, but also for the store itself (the cashiers' work time would be used much more efficiently).

I really don't understand why they still do it the way they are doing it. 

so what happens if they removed or change the number of an item while the receipt has already printed? print the whole thing again with the new amount and waste twice the paper?

the majority of people buying at Makro are trade who expects the big full VAT invoice and can understandably wait for them

On 7/31/2021 at 11:17 AM, digbeth said:

so what happens if they removed or change the number of an item while the receipt has already printed?

Even in the 1990s I was already able to remove an item or adjust it's quantity on my record store's receipts, before the printing was completed. The printing started when I scanned the first item and was complete after the payment was made. During the whole process it was absolutely no problem to adjust anything on the receipt. So after I had received the payment, there were only 2 or 3 lines left to print. 

That was in the 1990s in a medium size record store and it included full VAT receipts for those of my customers, who asked for such a receipt.

Edited by thecaveman