Condo "visitors" required to deposit ID

its been like that since i have been here,
although not many places used to enforce it,
it used to be the more expensive places doing it, but now lots do, especially new places.
even gated communities, if they dont know you or you dont have a resident card
you leave driving license at the gate and collect on way out
its not just condos

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

As I greeted her downstairs security was collecting her Thai ID and giving her a "visitor" pass. This has never happened in any other condo.

I explained to security in Thai that she is my girlfriend. He simply said all visitors must do it.

I think your a little sensitive, I remember holidaying in Phuket years ago with my wife, and when we returned to the hotel after a really good night out, I ask for our room key to the guy at reception and he said to my wife ID, I looked at him, showed him my wedding band and he did a wai with his head down as he passed me the room key, I smiled and started to go up the stairs towards his right, he was still waiing as my wife started to walk up the stairs behind me and he said something to my wife in Thai, with my wife not replying.

The next evening as we returned from another very good night out, the same guy was on shift and saw us coming, he grabbed the key for our room waiing and trying to be really friendly due to his slip of the tongue the previous night, this time my wife said something to him in Thai as she followed me up the stairs, when we got to the room, I said to her did you sort him, with her reply being, yes, I did, she said to him, brother, how could you confuse me for a working girl, she showed him her wedding band and said I'm retired and smacked him on the head (gently) as she walked up the stairs, saying next time look before you open your mouth.

Life's too short to worry about trivial matter, it is what it is, just enjoy. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Personally, I'm happy when I see our management enforcing security measures like that.  

Just like I was pleased (and surprised) the first time I hopped into a cheap hotel's elevator and it didn't move until I swiped my card.  And then, it only stopped on the floor I was supposed to be on.  In my office building in Asoke, you needed an access card to get to the elevators.

I suspect the OP's GF was given one of those elevator access cards in return for her ID.  That's how they make sure to get the visitor cards back.

Welcome to the advent of the security/surveillance State. It is not just Thailand, it is the state and private enterprise  acting in the age of IT. Yes COVID may very well be a good reason for the high security, but the question is: Will these security measures cease when the COVID threat is over? 

In the US they instituted the Patriot Act as a response to the terrorist threat after the September 11, 2001 attacks on the WTC. However, nearly 20 years later the Patriot Act is still in force in the US.

It seems to be that when security measures may be justified during a crisis, they never quite seem to go away afterwards. Instead they become the new normal. It seems naive to me to believe that if a government has the ability to spy on people, they will only do so for "legitimate reasons." There are cameras everywhere in the 21st century.  

The condo management may be sincere or perhaps they want to know what everyone is doing - just in case; privacy as we know it may simply be a thing of the past. Governments and businesses are not going to lose their security/surveillance mentality anytime soon.

Edward Snowden was trying to enlighten us by revealing the ability of governments to collect data when they have the latest technology at their disposal. Look where he is now and it will be years before he can return to his homeland. 

How far off is the day when you can be arrested and jailed for what you were thinking?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

It has been the norm for several years at the places I have lived in Pattaya.

At the beginning of this current wave, my juristic office actually required a negative Covid test for all guests.  It was great no one came.

All in all, I think it is a good policy to keep track of visitors coming onto the property.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

You could put add her on the rental agreement.  That would entitle her to come and go as she pleases.

There worried she's a call girl and may cause trouble. I wouldn't take it personally as long these are the rules.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As far as your wife being offended goes, it's simply down to the reputation that Thailand has as a place of prostitution, something that she certainly knows and is ashamed of. No good sounding off at an employee doing his job.

Nor the wife or I were offended, she just took the mickey out of him because she knew him f'd up. As I said before, it is what it is, and of late having stayed at the Hilton on many occasions, not once has my wife been treated as if she were working in the "prostitution" industry as you mention. She is also not ashamed of her short past, one has to do what one has to do to survive, now that is another topic which I am not going to debate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2021 at 8:17 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

As far as I know check of visitors happens almost anywhere. The question is always how much the rules are enforced. In most building were I walk in the security just lets me through. Sometime they ask me where I go. In lots of modern office buildings I have to show my passport or a Thai ID, i.e. my Thai driver license.

And those rules obviously exist for everybody. If you would get a visit from a Thai lawyer then one look of her to the security guards would probably be enough and they would say nothing. But a pretty young girl with the "im am lost here" look is obviously the perfect target.

If you don't want that the guards ask your visitors for ID then the best think is to be nice to those guards. Maybe buy them some drinks or give them some tips for the hard times or whatever. And then when your girlfriend arrives and she tells them she visits Khun Peter then everybody will remember that nice guy with the presents.

I guess that is not what you want to hear. But making an issue out of it is extreme unlikely to make the situation any better.

He is dead right.  You can accept it, move, or give him tea money...be nice see what happens.  Not many options.  It's the cost of doing business, the privilege of living in heaven.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2021 at 8:33 PM, david555 said:

Deposit the I.D. is overreacting , but taken the i.d. credentials in a book or list would be normal in such case , what if the i.D get lost....? Sometimes changing  guard in morning or evening , sometimes they are not on their post .....all those reasons would be right just taking I.D. notes  , not holding the I.D. card , or worse a Passport , as also this could be extended to foreign visitors  .... would you  like your passport get lost (or worse stolen , sold ..?)

Right on. It totally sucks. Let's fight it and change the world!!!

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's a very delicate situation for the better class of hotels. They discourage prostitution as it would damage their image,

My last gf used to work 5* hotels in CM, when a guest wanted some fun the concierge would call her. 40,000bht for the weekend.

Edited by BritManToo

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's a very delicate situation for the better class of hotels. They discourage prostitution as it would damage their image, and it can be very difficult in a few seconds to judge who are guests and who are visitors.

hahaha

do you live in a dream world?

reality couldn't be more different.

high class hotels try to remain discreet while giving the best service and best security to their guests.

this includes not batting an eye when guests invite prostitutes, which happens every night in 99% of grand palaces of the world.

the second thing is the question of giving discreet service - unknown visitors are usually asked some questions, and usually reception phones the guest to confirm. quite often though, the visitors are already "known to the establishment" and their ID is on file.

reception holding on to IDs of unknown visitors is a good practice that increases security for the guests.

a condo should use the same procedures IMO.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 2