Its the first time I'm worried about living in Thailand. Might be better off leaving for the motherland.

bbabythai

18 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Gosh, where to start.   I am none of the things that you mention.  I served my country in the Military for 12 years before entering academia at Cambridge University, first as a student, then as a  researcher.  I then moved to MIT and then Cal Tech  in the US to sample a very different culture and one that I enjoyed, then to Asia.  I mention this to show that I am nether uneducated. nor lack some level of talent in my field of expertise.   My dislike of the UK is broad based, from its poor and expensive infrastructure, to its moaning people, its poor investment over many decades in almost every area of life, its liberal elite that have way too much power and influence, its poor NHS that cannot cope, and provides care that is reduced to the lowest common denominator and yet sucks in billions more each year, its poor and inefficient management ethos, its self serving and arrogant political class.  I haven't got around to the weather, as its a cliche to say its terrible, but like most cliche its basically true. I am not a moaning Brit, far from it.  I am well adjusted and quite happy to spend my time in a country where the things that frustrated the hell out of me in the UK,  don't exist, or don't bother me half as much, mainly because I have no emotional or cultural connection to this country, its just the place where I live right now. I find it infinitely preferable here to the UK in almost all aspects. Oh, and I don't frequent bars in Pattaya, or anywhere else for that matter, I just go there to shop. 

Go on, don't hold back - tell us what you really think of ol' Blighty...

• Haha 2

On 7/26/2021 at 8:43 PM, bbabythai said:

Its the first time Ive ever thought that maybe I should take my wife and child back to the. mother country and wait this out

Do you think it will be safer in your mother country?

Covid is everywhere, prepare well, self protect, think about what you're doing when you go out.

No need to flee.

• Like 1

I'm far safer here in a small village in Isarn than I would be waiting in an airport, sitting on a plane, and spending 2 weeks in a quarantine hotel. So while the pandemic continue to rage around the globe I ain't going nowhere.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

You're saying there won't be 100k per day? I hope you're right. I'm 100% rooting for you. It doesn't have to, but looking at the numbers it is likely to happen.

Curious though. What is your reason for thinking it won't happen?

historic global measures from past 15 months

17 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I also take precautions to avoid getting killed in a motorbike accident 

If you take all the sensible precautions, you will avoid getting killed or seriously injured riding a motorbike in Thailand, but there is still the very odd case of some drunk ramming you from behind while you are sitting at traffic lights.

Nothing in this world is 100% safe.

22 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If you take all the sensible precautions, you will avoid getting killed or seriously injured riding a motorbike in Thailand, but there is still the very odd case of some drunk ramming you from behind while you are sitting at traffic lights.

Nothing in this world is 100% safe.

Its quite common for motorbike riders in Thailand to advise others that when riding in Thailand , just assume that all other road users are trying to kill you 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 3:00 PM, jayboy said:

Actually as regards the UK it depends on your education, background, energy and talent.For those and in fact millions of others, the UK is a remarkably attractive country.This is also the opinion of most Thais who have had the chance to travel or live there.

I have never met a well adjusted Brit in Thailand who despises his mother country.Inevitably there are those (often slack jawed and tattooed) who bang on about immigrants and welfare spongers, and profess their love of Thailand.The trouble is they almost always have a fairly narrow understanding of their new country based on Pattaya, drinking and (inevitably) aching boredom in some Isaan village.

Never ceases to amaze. There's a subset of people who bark incessantly about the ills of immigrants coming to their home country, all while being an immigrant in Thailand (and generally barking about Thailand's 'faults' like Immigration officers, Covid restrictions, etc.)

Not surprisingly, not a one of that type of person has a lick of success in life. Barely able to scrape by. The fault, though they are incapable of seeing it or admitting it, lies within.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Never ceases to amaze. There's a subset of people who bark incessantly about the ills of immigrants coming to their home country, all while being an immigrant in Thailand (and generally barking about Thailand's 'faults' like Immigration officers, Covid restrictions, etc.)

Not surprisingly, not a one of that type of person has a lick of success in life. Barely able to scrape by. The fault, though they are incapable of seeing it or admitting it, lies within.

I beg to differ but won't post because its thread!!!!!!!!!!! and will only get removed. Perhaps you or i should start a new topic cos i've got plenty to say lol

15 hours ago, Mansell said:

15,000. a day, every day. And will keep increasing because of no vaccines. Mayb by the end of next year they will start getting a handle on it…..maybe.

"if you have good health insurance, you are ok in thailand." That is the whole point, I know there will be exceptions to this, but there will be instances of people (like me for instance) who have spent their whole life looking after themselves from a health point of view and have no existing conditions.

We could take out health insurance at very highly inflated premiums, paying into it for years with no claims, and still getting hit with increases every so often, then eventually told you are too old and the insurance is cancelled, especially after pocketing our premiums for years.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

Population of Thailand 70 million now according to the UN.

Large areas are not (or scantily) populated, so overpopulation elsewhere has become a real problem.

A UK problem too - for a long while.

When will somebody have the guts to face up to this terrible world problem? It's been 60 years since Spike Milligan spoke so brilliantly on the radio about the threat of overpopulation in the UK.  Of course, he was bitterly criticized for it.

All those who oppose contraception should hang their heads in shame.

21 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

There is a big difference, expats here in Thailand are not being subsidised by the government, but contributing to the Thai economy and taking Thai families out of poverty.

In the UK it is a very different story, I don't think I need to go into it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/26/2021 at 9:22 PM, Dmaxdan said:

More than likely arrogance got the better of them because last year's recorded infections were so low.

They probably felt that they didn't need to order and pay for millions of vaccines for future use because they were so efficient at controlling the virus the first time.

Best laid plans and all that...

Or they knew there will be another variant that the original vaccine will not be so effective against, or they were waiting for full approval of the vaccines available - all of which are still only approved for emergency usage with no guarantees nor responsibility taken by the manufacturers, or they wanted to see how it effects the people in other countries or....

• Confused 1

Things have changed so dramatically in the past few years, and especially since the Covid failures here. I do not think anything applies from the past, anymore. I have never seen the Thai people so angry, disappointed, frustrated, hungry, disenfranchised and scared. When this disease passes, the fools are gone, baby gone. Like the wind. There will be no holding the people back. No tanks, no soldiers, no guns. Nothing will prevent a positive change from happening.

So, I am hanging on, and mustering up some patience, though that is a difficult task at the moment. Soon, change will happen. Just wait. I have alot of faith in the youth of Thailand. I have met alot of impressive, younger people here. They are passionate, and they want change. Now, they are getting support from their parents, in this regard, as this callous, failed administration has lost ALL SUPPORT. 

Power to the youth! VICTORY to the youth! May the dinosaurs be exorcised from Thailand! 

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2021 at 9:18 PM, VillageIdiot said:

So true.

The country I grew up in has disappeared along with the fundamentally decent principals that we knew and sometimes even followed.

The people are a lot different nowadays.

I hold the same sentiments as you concerning my "old country" Canada.The current government is transforming my former home into a copy of Ch--a. I wouldn't last 48 hrs there as my way of thinking would not blend with todays Canadians not to mention the hundreds of thousands on 3rd world welfare recipients waiting for their passports.

Our black face PM has created a situation where our national debt will not be cleared until 2070!

skynews-justin-trudeau-brown-face-photo_4779215.jpg

16 hours ago, rickudon said:

Personally, i was happy to stay in Isaan last year rather than return to the UK. However the chaotic vaccination rollout in Thailand plus the poor management of the outbreak since Songkran were factors in my return earlier this month to the UK. Fortunately i can isolate in a rural area in the UK where infections (and people) are low. Have forest on my door step for walking, and a walk to the shops means rarely have to walk past anybody, and shops fairly quiet too. Hardly anyone is masked up outdoors and life is pretty normal. Get Vaccinated tomorrow.

people find all kinds of stupid reasons to go back to their homehole because they are not able to accept and say that they just cannot stay in thailand for many other reasons...

• Confused 2

On 7/26/2021 at 4:00 PM, jayboy said:

Actually as regards the UK it depends on your education, background, energy and talent.For those and in fact millions of others, the UK is a remarkably attractive country.This is also the opinion of most Thais who have had the chance to travel or live there.

I have never met a well adjusted Brit in Thailand who despises his mother country.Inevitably there are those (often slack jawed and tattooed) who bang on about immigrants and welfare spongers, and profess their love of Thailand.The trouble is they almost always have a fairly narrow understanding of their new country based on Pattaya, drinking and (inevitably) aching boredom in some Isaan village.

Totally agree I to and thro between UK and Thailand every year and my longstanding Thai wife loves England as much as I do. Yes it has its problems but its still a great place to live. I find most ( not all) who knock England cant come back because have no place to live etc so they find fault with everything. Dont get me wrong we both love Thailand and one day soon I will put my roots down but when I do I know I will miss where I live. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Do you think it will be safer in your mother country?

Covid is everywhere, prepare well, self protect, think about what you're doing when you go out.

No need to flee.

actually some good news, cases are dropping fast here in Europe, down 50% in a few days

vaccination plan seems to be working, even at 50% coverage of the population

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

actually some good news, cases are dropping fast here in Europe, down 50% in a few days

vaccination plan seems to be working, even at 50% coverage of the population

Yes, that it good news! The next interesting thing to see will be the result of the July 19 "reopening" in England. That will cause an increase, but if it's not a large amount that'll be encouraging.

On 7/28/2021 at 9:57 AM, possum1931 said:

"if you have good health insurance, you are ok in thailand." That is the whole point, I know there will be exceptions to this, but there will be instances of people (like me for instance) who have spent their whole life looking after themselves from a health point of view and have no existing conditions.

We could take out health insurance at very highly inflated premiums, paying into it for years with no claims, and still getting hit with increases every so often, then eventually told you are too old and the insurance is cancelled, especially after pocketing our premiums for years.

I agree with you. Im not in perfect health but dont have health insurance. I just pay the bill myself at a private hospital. I have accident insurance at the pink bank via my debit card. It only cost me 1200 and I did a claim for 19000 after a running injury. They paid up. But big things I will just continue to pay myself. I also have SS health insurance after being a teacher ages ago. I can go and use the big public hospital for free if I want. I think paying private health ins is a waste of money

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DividendGuy said:

My question is; was she vaccinated? Nature has a way of dealing with people in a harsh way.  My condolence to her family. PEOPLE GET VACCINATED NOW... STOP THIS VIRUS

watching governments obedient TV too much right ?

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...