Its the first time I'm worried about living in Thailand. Might be better off leaving for the motherland.

bbabythai

5 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

My dislike of the UK is broad based, from its poor and expensive infrastructure, to its moaning people, its poor investment over many decades in almost every area of life, its liberal elite that have way too much power and influence, its poor NHS that cannot cope, and provides care that is reduced to the lowest common denominator and yet sucks in billions more each year, its poor and inefficient management ethos, its self serving and arrogant political class.  I haven't got around to the weather, as its a cliche to say its terrible, but like most cliche its basically true. I am not a moaning Brit, far from it. 

(My bold) ???????????? Oh, the irony.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, bbabythai said:

What I dont understand is why the Thai government didnt have the intelligence to pre-pay and mass order the vaccines back when western countries were doing this last yr. Absolutely useless bunch....

I think it was mainly because Thailand got real lucky and pretty much avoided the first waves.  That gave them a lot of confidence they could continue to do so.  Plus another reason not allowed to talk about.

• Like 1

I think that the prospect of a war between the USA and its allies with China is a more concerning issue.  The US is already deploying its air forces on small islands around Guam to make the planes less vulnerable to Chinese missles.  What would happen to westerners living in Thailand in the event of a war?  Is internment a possibility?  During the war with Japan, some interned westerners starved.  Many were forced into hard and dangerous labor.   A similar situation happened in Germany and its occupied territories.  Older westerners would probably be safe if they returned home.

Wendy Sherman's recent talks in China did not go well.  China continues to be quite aggressive.  The US military is contemplating and preparing for war within two years.  I hope that it can be avoided.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, thailanddogerator said:

as always, as all media do, just speaking about the exceptions...

some 15 years old also die when crossing the road...

ridiculous !

Actually quite a number of younger people (under 50 y.o) are in serious condition. Once most of the elderly are fully vaccinated, younger unvaccinated people will make up most of the serious cases. 

21 hours ago, bbabythai said:

didnt have the intelligence to pre-pay and mass order the vaccines

Oh dear, we will never understand. ????????????????

You concerns about covid:

Depends where you're coming from. 

If there is a chance for Johnson then it's just a stopover and get the next flight back, stay in a hotel in BKK and return to your Thai home. ????

2 hours ago, mikebike said:

Correction. Most people being hospitalized are unvaccinated. Vaccine does not stop you from contracting the desease.

It doesn't stop you from contracting the virus. In most cases it has enabled your body to then keep you from developing the disease. Two separate things.

If you do still develop the disease it will be a milder case and you will be less infectious due to a lower viral load in your respiration. Especially so when wearing a mask.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

It doesn't stop you from contracting the virus. In most cases it has enabled your body to then keep you from developing the disease. Two separate things.

If you do still develop the disease it will be a milder case and you will be less infectious due to a lower viral load in your respiration. Especially so when wearing a mask.

If you have the virus, you have the disease.

45 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Actually quite a number of younger people (under 50 y.o) are in serious condition. Once most of the elderly are fully vaccinated, younger unvaccinated people will make up most of the serious cases. 

Link to a case please.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, VillageIdiot said:

So true.

The country I grew up in has disappeared along with the fundamentally decent principals that we knew and sometimes even followed.

The people are a lot different nowadays.

I am American and am more scared of going home than staying here.

The whole world is panicking about covid. There are restrictions in every country so be careful you're not going from the frying pan into the fire. Personally I'm not finding things in Thailand too bad, although I do miss the nightlife.

20 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

on the meantime, thailand is doing quite well, if to believe the numbers.

15,000 infected are not much for a 66 million country.

you need to check the relative numbers to get the picture right.

if you have good health insurance, you are ok in thailand.

going back to the "motherland" will not help much

15,000. a day, every day. And will keep increasing because of no vaccines. Mayb by the end of next year they will start getting a handle on it…..maybe.

3 hours ago, mikebike said:

Correction. Most people being hospitalized are unvaccinated. Vaccine does not stop you from contracting the desease.

People with allergic reaction to mRNA vaccines can get 2nd dose; Delta viral load over 1,000 times higher

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-allergic-reaction-mrna-vaccines-191303795.html

Factbox: Countries weigh 'mix and match' COVID-19 vaccines

https://www.yahoo.com/news/factbox-countries-weigh-mix-match-110735949.html

U.S. buys 200 mln more doses of Pfizer vaccine

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-buys-200-mln-more-155615748.html

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

AND 400,000 by october !!

Possibly. It's difficult to sustain a rate of doubling, though a 100k per day seems likely.

At some point people will become much more cautious and careful, slowing the rate. Also a growing vaccinated population will help slow it. It would be better if vaccination rates increase, of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Link to a case please.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

This relates to since the start of the pandemic, younger people now make up more of the deaths as more older people vaccinated. About 28,000 people under the age of 50 have died in the US. Recently, 

Here is a 34 year old who died recently (antivaxxer of course)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57958358

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

I am absolutely digging this new-fangled statistical math of 'quite a number' and 'make up most'.

My wife tells me that tonight there 'could be a lot' of rain. Then again 'maybe not so much'.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Personally, i was happy to stay in Isaan last year rather than return to the UK. However the chaotic vaccination rollout in Thailand plus the poor management of the outbreak since Songkran were factors in my return earlier this month to the UK. Fortunately i can isolate in a rural area in the UK where infections (and people) are low. Have forest on my door step for walking, and a walk to the shops means rarely have to walk past anybody, and shops fairly quiet too. Hardly anyone is masked up outdoors and life is pretty normal. Get Vaccinated tomorrow.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

Possibly. It's difficult to sustain a rate of doubling, though a 100k per day seems likely.

At some point people will become much more cautious and careful, slowing the rate. Also a growing vaccinated population will help slow it. It would be better if vaccination rates increase, of course.

non sense

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

non sense

You're saying there won't be 100k per day? I hope you're right. I'm 100% rooting for you. It doesn't have to, but looking at the numbers it is likely to happen.

Curious though. What is your reason for thinking it won't happen?