Daughter dumps her COVID-19 infected father at temple in Nakhon Ratchasima

webfact

18 hours ago, Caldera said:

Horrible. Chances are she believes in karma, so I hope she'll get lots of it for her bad deed.

I seriously doubt that she needs reminding on how damned she is, never mind being lectured by non-Buddhists. My initial feelings are of collosal sadness and empathy for the father and the daughter. Who knows her circumstances? She could easily be infected as well and, after doing what she could for her sick father, may well have chosen the more damning option of suicide. She won't be the first.

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You are assuming that she couldn't find any hospital to take him, which I think is extremely unlikely as she drove nearly 200kms before overloading him at a temple where, she says, he knew someone.

The 30 baht scheme you mentioned earlier ended years ago. My basic understanding of the current system is a Thai can use their local hospital at the amphur level for free, but only the local one. If the patient requires a higher level of care than the local hospital can provide they will get a referral that allows them to use the large government hospital at the provincial level also for free with the referral.

Now if a patient decides to use a hospital other than the local one they are assigned to they must pay out of their own pocket. That would include just showing up at the large government hospital without a referral. So yes there could be a scenario that no hospital would be available no matter what distance you travel if you don't have the money to pay.

3 hours ago, KeeTua said:

The 30 baht scheme you mentioned earlier ended years ago.

Then I must be imagining that the pills my wife gets from our local hospital, a three-month supply each time, cost her only 30 baht. Even though that is on her receipt, and she has just confirmed that to me.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Then I must be imagining that the pills my wife gets from our local hospital, a three-month supply each time, cost her only 30 baht. Even though that is on her receipt, and she has just confirmed that to me.

I stand corrected but at least my memory didn't fail me too badly.

"At first, a 30 baht copayment was required for each patient when they visited their designated medical facility, and while this was abolished in 2006, it was once again reinstated with some exemptions in 2012. Regardless, healthcare for Thai nationals is likely to be either very cheap or free as long as they use their designated healthcare facilities. Outside of these facilities, people will be required to pay for their treatment out of pocket."

https://www.pacificprime.co.th/blog/thailand-universal-healthcare-trouble/

• Like 1