The Older I Become, the Less LIFE, as we know it, Makes Sense to Me. Do you feel the same as I? Like Vonnegut, do you yearn for life on Saturn, someday?

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Personal experience, in the past 60 years the climate hasn't changed in any way I can see.

I have no reason to believe it will change in the next 60 years .....

But have no personal interest in changes happening after the next 10 years (or less).

There are sudden floods ........ as there have always been.

The are forest fires ........ as there have always been.

The sea level hasn't changed in any way I can measure.

It doesn't see any hotter or colder or wetter or drier in any of the places I've lived.

People I've known don't appear to be dying with greater (or lessor) frequency.

The world is suddenly full of fearmongering BS, which I just ignore as much as possible.

This is a list of extreme weather phenomenons just in 2021 .

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/environment/953574/worlds-most-extreme-weather-events-2021

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Personal experience, in the past 60 years the climate hasn't changed in any way I can see.

I have no reason to believe it will change in the next 60 years .....

But have no personal interest in changes happening after the next 10 years (or less).

There are sudden floods ........ as there have always been.

The are forest fires ........ as there have always been.

The sea level hasn't changed in any way I can measure.

It doesn't see any hotter or colder or wetter or drier in any of the places I've lived.

People I've known don't appear to be dying with greater (or lessor) frequency.

The world is suddenly full of fearmongering BS, which I just ignore as much as possible.

Believe it or not , up to you ...

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/environment/953574/worlds-most-extreme-weather-events-2021

Here is a list of Climate related deaths over the last 100 years.

Gathered from 'trusted data sources' (UN, IPCC, Etc.)

death from climate.jpg

"over the past century, the non-climate risk has declined by 85% but the climate risk has declined by an astounding 99%. Had a person lived her entire 70-year life at the climate-related risk in the 1920s, she would have had 1.7% chance of dying from a climate-related catastrophe. Living at the risk of the 2010s, the life risk for dying of climate-related disasters was 0.018%."

Welfare in the 21st century: Increasing development, reducing inequality, the impact of climate change, and the cost of climate policies - ScienceDirect

Edited by BritManToo

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

death from climate.jpg

"over the past century, the non-climate risk has declined by 85% but the climate risk has declined by an astounding 99%. Had a person lived her entire 70-year life at the climate-related risk in the 1920s, she would have had 1.7% chance of dying from a climate-related catastrophe. Living at the risk of the 2010s, the life risk for dying of climate-related disasters was 0.018%."

Welfare in the 21st century: Increasing development, reducing inequality, the impact of climate change, and the cost of climate policies - ScienceDirect

https://www.who.int/heli/risks/climate/climatechange/en/

"

Even if the minimum predicted increase takes place, it will be larger than any century-long trend in the last 10 000 years. The principal reason for the global increase in temperatures is a century and a half of industrialization, with the burning of ever-greater quantities of oil, gasoline, and coal; the cutting of forests; and use of certain farming methods.

Climatic changes already are estimated to cause over 150,000 deaths annually. "

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

To refer to the main topic of giving back sometimes we think it has to be a major event when in fact there are many ways we can give back in the form of service to others. Here are some ideas. Service can be a very small thing like visiting someone in need, being a good friend, saying  hello to your neighbor, just being their when someone needs you. You will be surprised how doing small things for someone will make you feel good and make you feel you have a purpose. I have a thai wife and two teenage girls and my wife's mother lives with us. We all love each other so much. I try to give everyone a good life and try to support them and help them with things in their life's. This gives me a great sense of purpose in life. I think life is about giving to others and it can be as small as a smile to a Stanger.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Everything you post relates to extreme worst case scenario in every report.

I'm just gonna put you on ignore, as I'm tired of reading your fake alarmist BS.

That's ok , only my fake alarmist BS is what scientists all over the world proved to be true .

But they are all wrong , and , of course , you are right ...?

Ignorance is a part of arrogance .

Just keep denying what is obvious ...

Some just don't want to know ...

Strange mindset ...

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Caldera said:

I've long come to the conclusion that you can either try to make sense of life (as we know it) or simply enjoy life (whileyou can).

I've chosen the latter, which in a nutshell is why I moved to Thailand. People who are looking for purpose or meaning invariably seem to end up disappointed. It is what it is, end of.

I've found the opposite to be true.

We live...we die. That's it.

There is no inherent meaning other than what we make of it in that interim time. And possibly for what one leaves behind and is remembered, but that will only remain relevant to the living...not the deceased. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

You know how when they report such extreme events they always say "the worst flood in 50 years" or "the hottest in 100 years"? Sooooo, the event is NOT unique and there were similar long ago before all this man made climate change thing became the latest fad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I believe what I see. I don't see sea level rise of any significance in my lifetime,

Tell this to the owner of this resort on our island ...

When we arrived here 5 yrs ago , it was still operational ...

21-05-2021IMG_20210521_123310.jpg

21-05-2021IMG_20210521_123027.jpg

• Sad 1

Just now, nobodysfriend said:

Tell this to the owner of this resort on our island ...

When we arrived here 5 yrs ago , it was still operational ...

21-05-2021IMG_20210521_123310.jpg

21-05-2021IMG_20210521_123027.jpg

That sort of thing has been happening for hundreds of years. There are towns underwater that used to be inland in the UK.

BTW, it's never been a good idea to build on a beach.

That's even in the Bible- houses built on sand shall not stand and all that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The reduction of "climate-related deaths" does not "indicate that climate change is not happening" (which doesn't even really make sense, actually).

The reduction of deaths is much more likely due to improved emergency response, technological and medical/rescue advancements, etc.

Edited by ThLT
  • Like 2

Just now, ThLT said:

The reduction of "climate-related deaths" does not "indicate that climate change is not happening" (which doesn't even really make, actually).

But it does indicate climate disasters are becoming less relevant to the worlds population.

And the worst case scenario is +1.5c by the year 2100, which is totally insignificant.

In fact, it'd be nice if they could grow grape vines in the UK again, like the Romans did in the past.

• Like 2

Just now, BritManToo said:

But it does indicate climate disasters are becoming less relevant to the worlds population.

How is "relevant to the worlds population" relevant? No one said anything about world population. What is being discussed is climate change.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

And the worst case scenario is +1.5c by the year 2100, which is totally insignificant.

In fact, it'd be nice if they could grow grape vines in the UK again, like the Romans did in the past.

I've never seen any poster deny that climate is changing. However, some of us don't believe that humans had a significant role in it, or that we can change it an iota by building windmills and buying electric cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThLT said:

How is "relevant to the worlds population" relevant? No one said anything about world population. What is being discussed is climate change.

Given that IF humans are causing climate change, population IS relevant to any discussion about climate change.

I don't know that we are causing it, but IMO there are far too many people on the planet now, destroying the environment and polluting the oceans to extinction.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Presumably you have some benefit in mind when trying to combat climate change?

Or do you just believe all change is bad and must be prevented at all costs?

Historical records for the UK clearly indicate 2 much warmer climates in the recent past.

1) Bronze age settlements high on Bodmin moor (too cold to live there now, even with modern heating).

2) Grape vines grown by the Romans (too cold to grow them in the UK now).

And at least one period much colder.

1) Winter fair on the frozen river Thames in London.

Given a choice (hotter or colder), I'd go for hotter every time.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Presumably you have some benefit in mind when trying to combat climate change?

Or do you just believe all change is bad and must be prevented at all costs?

Historical records for the UK clearly indicate 2 much warmer climates in the recent past.

1) Bronze age settlements high on Bodmin moor (too cold to live there now, even with modern heating).

2) Grape vines grown by the Romans (too cold to grow them in the UK now).

And at least on period much colder.

1) Winter fair on the frozen river Thames in London.

"World population" is important, but there are other things mainly: irreversible destruction of ecosystems, flooding of coastal cities (Bangkok being one of these), displacement of populations, pandemics caused by unhygienic conditions, unlivable conditions of heat/cold (resulting in further displacement of populations), etc. etc. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I don't think we caused the change why would I stress about something I can't change?

Meanwhile I'm enjoying the warmer than normal weather where I live.

Have a good time then. 

• Haha 2