Please help...Our dog bit our housekeeper today!

'She bit her once, on the back of the leg,'

That strikes me as an odd place for a dog to bite someone at home. It apparently came up behind her and bit her. How did it come to that? It's something I'd expect from someone being chased by a dog. (Why) was it chasing her? Has it done that before?

You've taken responsibility in exactly the same way I would have. Be generous. What the limit is I have no idea.

A muzzle would be a better solution than euthanizing it if a solution is needed.

Edited by BusyB

Well. If its a pitbull then she will not come back for sure. If its an chihuahua then she will. If I myself were bitten by a pitbull I would never go back to that home again 

And ofc I would like to know what triggered the dog. Perhaps she did something 

• Like 1

So why is the type of dog never mentioned? Is the OP trying to hide that is an agressive dog like a pit bull that requires more control than say a lab would, and he obviously cannot control it. I suspect the tone of this thread would be a lot different if it wss a pit bull.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, gargamon said:

So why is the type of dog never mentioned? Is the OP trying to hide that is an agressive dog like a pit bull that requires more control than say a lab would, and he obviously cannot control it. I suspect the tone of this thread would be a lot different if it wss a pit bull.

Reckon its a Pomeranian and the Op just feels a little too emasculated and prefers to keep schtum ! ????

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Reckon its a Pomeranian and the Op just feels a little too emasculated and prefers to keep schtum ! ????

I was thinking it was a small penis thing, like...

Look at me, what a man I am, I'm driving a harley.

Look at me, what a man I am, I'm driving a big truck.

Look at me, what a man I am, I have all these guns.

Look at me, what a man I am, I'm driving a Mercedes.

Look at me, what a man I am, I have a pitbull.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/1/2021 at 7:37 PM, gargamon said:

I was thinking it was a small penis thing, like...

Look at me, what a man I am, I'm driving a harley.

Look at me, what a man I am, I'm driving a big truck.

Look at me, what a man I am, I have all these guns.

Look at me, what a man I am, I'm driving a Mercedes.

Look at me, what a man I am, I have a pitbull.

Aggressive criminalized people want a dangerous animal. Well the last time I had a fright it was a slightly built hipster girl walking two big ones she seemed could barely control. Big scary male bull lunged at me with clear aggression just passing by on a busy public street had she lost the lead I would have had a  major problem.

Half the dogs you see out in public now are pitbulls in the US. 

Years ago barely anybody kept them.

On 8/3/2021 at 4:56 PM, Captain Monday said:

Half the dogs you see out in public now are pitbulls in the US. 

Travel a lot?

In this study, pitbull-type dogs were misidentified 60% of the time (62 were visually identified as pitbull-type dogs but only 25 had DNA signatures from any of the pitbull-type breeds).

So it looks like more than half of Pit Bulls are misidentified.

52 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Travel a lot?

So it looks like more than half of Pit Bulls are misidentified.

Yes, travel a lot, I posted previously that "Pit-bulls" are unfairly blamed. I'm not a dog expert my point is now half the dogs I see in the US are "pit-bulls, pitties, staffordshire terriers, American bullys", etc, and mutts of the same. Everywhere. It is really noticeable. Probably also because  many of the rescue dogs from shelters people adopt now are such "breeds".

It is a minority of cases but you can see these dogs outward aggression. The owner covered in tattooes and wearing gangster type clothing. They are trying to send a message that they are thuggish and tough and so is there dog. Their are no bad dogs only bad owners. Scum basically. 30 percent of Americans have a criminal arrest record.

The hipster girl walking two large pits who could not control them did not appear a dangerous person but I think it is irresponsible to bring a dangerous animal out in public

Edited by Captain Monday

8 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I think it is irresponsible to bring a dangerous animal out in public

8 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

It is a minority of cases but you can see these dogs outward aggression.

I'm the owner of an American Pit Bull. I have 3 children. They have their friend around all the time plus we get many visitors. If there was any doubt about my dog or the visitors were scared of her I wouldn't have her. The 2 children on the right are mine. The one on the left is a visitor. They're buring the dog in sand.

DSC00192.JPG

IMG_20210317_174833.jpg

31 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Good dog with a responsible owner. One of my friends had a female that would probably lick me to death. Sits on people when trying  to watch TV. Wonderful dog.

Thanks for that comment. The misunderstanding about Pitbulls  is caused by those owners that have their ears cut. That alone should be banned.

Ear cropping in dogs - How is ear cropping done? Is it cruel? Necessary?  Good? Bad?

On 7/31/2021 at 12:49 PM, Kwasaki said:

What sad individual you are putting dogs before people. 

The pathetic state of this planet is basically down to humans putting themselves above everything else. That's why we are going extinct. The sad fact is people like you ignorant to the truth. Dogs possess more compassion than any human I know btw. That's the fact. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I'm the owner of an American Pit Bull. I have 3 children. They have their friend around all the time plus we get many visitors. If there was any doubt about my dog or the visitors were scared of her I wouldn't have her. The 2 children on the right are mine. The one on the left is a visitor. They're buring the dog in sand.

DSC00192.JPG

IMG_20210317_174833.jpg

You really think the kids are safe with that dog .....   

Just last month :

A five-week-old boy was killed by the family's pet American Staffordshire terrier in the early hours of Sunday at Kariong.

Police say a dog that mauled a newborn baby to death in a horrific attack on the NSW Central Coast.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

You really think the kids are safe with that dog .....   

Just last month :

A five-week-old boy was killed by the family's pet American Staffordshire terrier in the early hours of Sunday at Kariong.

Police say a dog that mauled a newborn baby to death in a horrific attack on the NSW Central Coast.

People just think, o i have a dog and then dont raise the dog. You should start instantly when they are a pup.

Your energy should be as leader, not other way around, then you loose.

The way you act towards your dog is the prime thing.

A new born child is new to any dog at some time, so you have to teach the dog again. You are the master.

You cant bring the baby to the dog, but you have to bring the dog to the baby and show him the baby is part of the pack now. But never the less always pay attention, even the tiniest dog can become a devil.

Many people just cant control their dog, as of thinking to easy. and let it go, teaching wrong.

If you dont raise your child right, you also can have problems. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

You really think the kids are safe with that dog

Yep. In the story about the child being mauled to death the writing was on the wall on 2 counts. 4 weeks prior to the death the dog was involved in another altercation. Knowing this the parents of the child allowed the dog to be in a room with the child 2:18 am. 2am in the morning, where were the childs parents?  2nd count. Not really a case of blame the dog here but blame the owner, first and foremost.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

3 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Yep. In the story about the child being mauled to death the writing was on the wall on 2 counts. 4 weeks prior to the death the dog was involved in another altercation. Knowing this the parents of the child allowed the dog to be in a room with the child 2:18 am. Where were the Childs parents?  2nd count. Not really a case of blame the dog here but blame the owner, first and foremost.

that's all fine and good ...... but in reality, there is absolutely no way in hell anyone with common sense would own or even have an American Staffordshire terrier or similar breed while having a new born baby at home.  

That dogs place is on the farm up the back in a kennel ....      not in town with a baby.    

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

there is absolutely no way in hell anyone with common sense would own or even have an American Staffordshire terrier or similar breed while having a new born baby at home.  

It's not down to the breed. All animals bite. It's down to training. Please remember that the first person to receive a face transplant was on a French woman who got bit by her dog. And the breed of that dog was a ............................Labrador.

Isabelle Dinoire Imagens e fotografias de stock - Getty Images

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

It's not down to the breed. All animals bite. It's down to training. Please remember that the first person to receive a face transplant was on a French woman who got bit by her dog. And the breed of that dog was a ............................Labrador.

Isabelle Dinoire Imagens e fotografias de stock - Getty Images

sorry,    that dog should be up the back chained to the kennel.  Not in town with a new baby at home. 

enough said.  The dogs are dangerous ,  soi dogs are all sorts of mixed breeds and they are dangerous also as they will attack and bite kids,  Like I said,  anyone with an ounce of common sense wouldn't have a dog within

coo-ee of a new born.   

please stop defending dogs which don't belong in town, condos, and with new borns. 

On 8/1/2021 at 1:12 AM, BusyB said:

'She bit her once, on the back of the leg,'

That strikes me as an odd place for a dog to bite someone at home. It apparently came up behind her and bit her. How did it come to that? It's something I'd expect from someone being chased by a dog. (Why) was it chasing her? Has it done that before?

You've taken responsibility in exactly the same way I would have. Be generous. What the limit is I have no idea.

A muzzle would be a better solution than euthanizing it if a solution is needed.

My dog bit a friend in the back leg too. He sneaked up behind GF and scared and grabbed her. The dog saw it and did not know it was a joke and gave a small bite. (Bangkaew dog if it really wanted to bite and not warn it could have been worse). I did not fault the dog for protecting its owner. The bite was minor just a puncture of the skin a warning nothing more.

So it depends a bit on what has happened. Its not always the dogs fault.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 5:22 AM, gargamon said:

Actually this is incorrect.  Labs bite more people than any other breed.  At least that is what a dog trainer told me some 12-15 years ago here in the USA.  Maybe because it's a popular breed?  My dog bit a boy from across the street after a family barbecue. his sister said he was approaching the dog while she was chewing a bone and this boy had autism and couldn't speak at the age of about eight. his facial manner always showed both upper and lower teeth which I'm sure was not a very good way to approach a dog chewing on a bone. I had all the bones and toys put in the kennel with the dog for the first part of the evening but after dinner I let the dog out and she was playing very nice with everyone until this incident. The trainer told me once the dog has bitten someone you will never be able to trust them. He said she could spend a lot of time and money training but she would never promise or guarantee any results. I called the lab rescue and they said they never take any dogs who have record of biting someone. I put this dog down which made everyone in my family sad. 

Edited by Elkski

On 7/30/2021 at 3:43 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I think you are already doing a lot more than a lot of owners would do. 

But.. why did your dog bite the house keeper ?....

Was the house keeper teasing the dog or simply doing her work ?

The big question is...  Your dog has already proven it will bite people, could your dog bite a visiting guest, particularly a child ????

Additional compensation: Your question is not how much should you give, but how little can you get away with giving without looking like you don’t care (just calling a spade a spade) - As I wrote earlier you have already done a lot. 

Regarding giving the house keeper time off... that depends on her injuries - if its just a minor bite it shouldn’t impact her work much, but she will definitely appreciate the extra money.... But, that goes back to one of the earlier questions and depends on ‘why’ she was bitten. 

We had the same problem, it was a bloody mess

P_20171224_131539.jpg

99.9% of the time it is NOT the dog's fault because there are pretty much no bad dogs, just bad humans.

BUUUUT, let's face it, a bull terrier or any other breed that is bred for certain activities/reasons is likely to do more damage than my Yorkie. That's not saying that these breeds are more likely to bite or attack, because they're not. It's all about how the dog has grown around humans.

And quite often people who choose to have certain breeds are the same kinds of people who have something to prove. Not always though, may I point out.

As Steven100 mentions, it doesn't make much sense to have a certain breed and a young child, and leave that dog with the child. But this thread is about a dog biting a maid and how much to compensate. The OP has already offered more than enough.

It would be interesting to know the relationship between the maid and dog from the day they first met to the day of the bite. Without that, it's impossible to judge properly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lks7689 said:

The pathetic state of this planet is basically down to humans putting themselves above everything else

I'm at the top of the food chain. By definition, I am above everything else.

And I think anything left when I'm gone was wasted.

So there. ????

On 8/6/2021 at 8:35 PM, gargamon said:

I'm at the top of the food chain. By definition, I am above everything else.

And I think anything left when I'm gone was wasted.

So there. ????

I guess that's as delusional as anyone could be here.