Thailand reports record high of coronavirus infections and deaths

webfact

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I didn't find your post completely left field.

Not so sure about the one sentence I picked out. (yes more to your post).

Personally don't think we are anywhere near the 70% you mention.

Also deaths sound ok on paper.

I can't opt for that.

For me it's persevere with the restrictions for as long as possible. Even increase them.

Sorry Jack, I may have not made my post clear. The reported 70% is in India currently not Thailand.

All deaths are unacceptable. I would prefer lockdowns and vaccinations for as long as it takes but do think that the Indian experience is what we may end up with.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

At the risk of being controversial I am beginning to think we need to consider an additional angle on this.

Unless things change very quickly Thailand is not going to jab itself out of this mess. The Covid cat is out of the bag.

I think we need to consider the 'Indian example' Absolute carnage followed by a sharp drop in cases. Yes I am aware of the possibly millions of missing deaths there. It is reported that maybe 70% of the population now has antibiodies and that can only be by infection not innoculation.

Don't get me wrong, I want vaccinations available to all now but think we have to consider that a similar situation is awaiting us.

In my view Thailand will jab itself out of the situation it is in. The issue is WHEN.

At the current run rate of daily vaccinations, that point seems approximately 1 year away. Between now and then there will be many cases and the results that those cases bring. I don’t think it’s a strategy, it’s just what will happen. I suggest that it is hard to make comparisons with India. The size of populations, geography, standard of healthcare, are all so different, I don’t see direct comparisons working well.

where did you read that 70% of the population now has antibodies? I think you should provide a source if making specific statements like that.

edit: I see that you have clarified that the 70% comment was about India. Still a source would be nice.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Absolutely awful. This Indian variant has been horrific. 

Out of all this i still don't understand how the virus entered Thailand - is it safe to assume the borders were never secure at any point? The unstable situation in India and Myanmar was probably the route into Thailand. Surely those borders should have been manned with the military. 

Any idea how much jungle there is at the borders?

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

In my view Thailand will jab itself out of the situation it is in. The issue is WHEN.

At the current run rate of daily vaccinations, that point seems approximately 1 year away. Between now and then there will be many cases and the results that those cases bring. I don’t think it’s a strategy, it’s just what will happen. I suggest that it is hard to make comparisons with India. The size of populations, geography, standard of healthcare, are all so different, I don’t see direct comparisons working well.

where did you read that 70% of the population now has antibodies? I think you should provide a source if making specific statements like that.

Apologies if my post was not clear. The 70% figure has been reported for India not Thailand. Due to being a dummy I cant seem to provide a link but it has been widely published.

I hope Thailand does vaccinate itself out of trouble, please do not think of me as one of those conspiracy nutters!

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

edit: I see that you have clarified that the 70% comment was about India. Still a source would be nice.

Australia with 13.5% double jabbed is looking at April I think it is to have 70% fully jabbed. Australia is also getting in 10's of millions of jabs including enough for boosters. Thailand is still < 6% fully vacced. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

The data for this is from NBT World Twitter account and was from itsskh.com previously (Sisaket Hospital). Yesterday there were reported 280 cases (and climbing) - a lot for a low population density. I think this is a similar story on other Issan provinces.

Not looking good since Songran

image.png

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Smithson said:

I don't think it's possible to seal the borders, they are too porous. Even if it could be done, the virus would still enter somehow. If an island like Australia with its strict borders and quarantine can't keep it out nobody can.

Over 100.000 entered OzJuly this year.

2 hours ago, Misty said:

I read about the survey of 2/3 of Indians having antibodies in the Financial Times, but here's a link that's not behind a firewall with the same survey: India coronavirus: More than two thirds of the population may have antibodies, new survey shows (msn.com)

image.png

More than two thirds of India's population may have Covid-19 antibodies, according to a new serological survey released Tuesday, providing yet more evidence the virus may have spread far more widely than official figures suggest.

About 67.6% of Indians surveyed above the age of 6 showed antibodies, according to the nationwide study, which was conducted between June and July by the government-run Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). The survey covered 70 districts in 21 states, with 28,975 participants.

Interesting. I guess the theory that 70% of Indians have now had Covid will be studied vis a vis the steep Covid bell chart recorded by India and the concept of herd immunity and measured against consequences such as death counts. Sort of  A case study of what happe with covid measures in place

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

As bad as this is the reality is much worse….it is official policy now that positive results from home testing will NOT be included in official tallies. If you want to see the official document from the government outline this policy then visit that Scottish guy on Facebook.

Many of us had a feeling that that was what was happening.  Nice way to try and hide cases, and no it is not a conspiracy as some would say, as the proof is n the pudding.

54 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Apologies if my post was not clear. The 70% figure has been reported for India not Thailand. Due to being a dummy I cant seem to provide a link but it has been widely published.

I hope Thailand does vaccinate itself out of trouble, please do not think of me as one of those conspiracy nutters!

Yup, I see a link to a study now. I guess what you are saying is that there maybe sufficient numbers of cases before vaccines get rolled out. that would cause high levels of hospitalization and deaths, but also a lot of people with antibodies. I still think there are significant structural differences between Thailand and India that make comparisons of potential results difficult, but I can see the same theory could play out.

I hope it doesn’t happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Southeast Asia reported over 98,000 new Covid-19 cases for the third consecutive day and a new high in fatalities on Friday, collated data showed. #Asean #COVID19 #ThailandNews #TheNationThailand

Asean Covid cases continue at above 98,000 for third day in a row

https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40003988

Two days in a row that Thailand has been ahead of Malaysia in absolute numbers of cases.

1 hour ago, DonniePeverley said:

Absolutely awful. This Indian variant has been horrific. 

Out of all this i still don't understand how the virus entered Thailand - is it safe to assume the borders were never secure at any point? The unstable situation in India and Myanmar was probably the route into Thailand. Surely those borders should have been manned with the military. 

Do you know how long the border is? Hundreds of very porous kilometres. An impossible task. 
But people smugglers should be dealt with severely. But it it won’t happen as it probably involves authorities. 
As someone working outside Thailand with family there it is a very worrying situation. ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

Yup, I see a link to a study now. I guess what you are saying is that there maybe sufficient numbers of cases before vaccines get rolled out. that would cause high levels of hospitalization and deaths, but also a lot of people with antibodies. I still think there are significant structural differences between Thailand and India that make comparisons of potential results difficult, but I can see the same theory could play out.

I hope it doesn’t happen.

Yes, I re read my original post and realised that I may have implied that this was the way to go. It was not. I would prefer vaccines and lockdowns above any deaths. I meant to say that this is what we may end up with due to the shambolic non roll out of vaccines.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

As bad as this is the reality is much worse….it is official policy now that positive results from home testing will NOT be included in official tallies. If you want to see the official document from the government outline this policy then visit that Scottish guy on Facebook.

I think it’s a policy that works against them. They need to boost the number of cases and make the situation look bad, in the hope that well off nations will take pity on them and donate vaccines.

playing the sympathy card and getting donations is the fastest way that they are going to get their hands on any mRNA vaccines.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Right now my brother in law is standing outside a hospital since 7 am it's now 9-15 am he tested positive 2 days ago and the bed was booked for him, he says the amount of people outside the hospital is unbelievable he is supposed to have a number in the que, organised chaos he said,

I should have said in Bangkok

I have 2 good friends in Pattaya reporting the same. So far they have turned up 4 days to be sent home, asked to return daily. He says he's tried many hospitals but none have a bed for them.

• Like 1

In a strange way it is the example of India that gives me hope that Covid will be over at some point and there is a way through this.

As we know now India was the Covid apolocolpyse and as bad as the human tragedy has been the fact remains that India is still there, the people are still there, it is still functioning and it won’t disappear and nor will the people.

This is bad but it WILL pass.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1