Thailand reports record high of coronavirus infections and deaths

webfact

30 minutes ago, sucit said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/30/cdc-study-shows-74percent-of-people-infected-in-massachusetts-covid-outbreak-were-fully-vaccinated.html

Vaccinated people are probably transmitting to unvaccinated. I am not sure what that means wrt your theory

You're ignoring the fact that Massachusetts has one of the highest rates of vaccination in the US (second only to Vermont).

Obviously, the higher the rate of vaccination the higher the percentage of infections will be among the vaccinated people.

Here's a little thought experiment. If 100% of people in a population are vaccinated and given that some of them will still get infected (since no vaccine is 100% effective) what percentage of the people infected will be vaccinated?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The following refers to first and second shot of AZ vaccine.

The official health advice from ATAGI, the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation, remains most people have their booster shot at 12 weeks for optimal COVID protection, but under certain circumstances that can go down to four weeks. Those circumstances include imminent travel or if there’s a risk of COVID-19 exposure

So the second shot of AZ is now being referred to as a booster?  Now I am confused and possibly why Thailand would allow travel with just 1 jab.

5 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Absolutely awful. This Indian variant has been horrific. 

Out of all this i still don't understand how the virus entered Thailand -

The more people with the virus the greater chance of a virus variant occurring. One probability - or two letting Thai nationals into Thailand even though the did not have a negative test before flying in.

Just now, dave moir said:

Is this not scare mongering the same thing the government is talking about clamping down on!

How is talking about the facts of a study scare mongering?  Since when is reasoned debate "scare mongering"?  I don;t think anyone here is afraid to discuss stuff, and that everyone is capable of discerning personal opinion from referred data.

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The small number of vaccinated individuals who suffer breakthrough infections indeed can infect others.

Virtually all unvaccinated and infected individuals can infect others.

Do you understand the difference between “small number” and “virtually all”?

From what I've read it's far from small numbers of vaccinated people who are contracting covid!????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

You're ignoring the fact that Massachusetts has one of the highest rates of vaccination in the US (second only to Vermont).

Obviously, the higher the rate of vaccination the higher the percentage of infections will be among the vaccinated people.

Here's a little thought experiment. If 100% of people in a population are vaccinated and given that some of them will still get infected (since no vaccine is 100% effective) what percentage of the people infected will be vaccinated?

60% of them are fully vaxed. 

74% of the infections, in this case, were from fully vaccinated. 

Here is a proper thought experiment for you. If only 50% of them were vaxed, what % of infections would you guess would be vaxed? That’s not rhetorical, go ahead and answer. 

• Sad 3

TIMELINE: #Pattaya and Banglamung informs residents who visited places in relation to most recent #Chonburi confirmed Covid –19 cases

List of places here:

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/31/timeline-pattaya-and-banglamung-informs-residents-who-visited-places-in-relation-to-most-recent-chonburi-confirmed-covid-19-cases-5/

• Thanks 1

The governor of Thailand’s western province of Kanchanaburi has ordered the closure of the border with Myanmar, effective Monday until further notice, as a precaution against a possible influx of people escaping the worsening COVID situation in Myanmar. https://thaip.bs/aULccwQ

• Thanks 2

Out of all this i still don't understand how the virus entered Thailand - is it safe to assume the borders were never secure at any point? The unstable situation in India and Myanmar was probably the route into Thailand. Surely those borders should have been manned with the military. 

'Border Security' has been discussed a thousand times before and this problem will never be resolved as the Borders are too long to seal off unless they build a Trump style wall for the entire length.   Even then there is still the matter of Corrupt Immigration Officers by the hundred !

9 minutes ago, dave moir said:

From what I've read it's far from small numbers of vaccinated people who are contracting covid!????

Yes.   . 08% of vaccinated individuals have tested positive over the last few months. 

Shall we compare this with the unvaccinated numbers? Oh, you don't want to play anymore.... 

• Like 2

What is the testing capacity in Thailand? They aren't doing a million tests a day like in the UK i assume. 

Last I heard, testing was being done on 50,000 people a day. That was up to last week, not sure what the figure tested per day is this week but just gives you some idea of the amount of positives they’d get if they did increase the testing. Thailand don’t want their figures to show up too much, would stop the almighty $ coming in to the country, so….

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I am afraid to say that 30 K Infections per Day seems to be a lot sooner than September.

If the Virus continues on its present trajectory the Infections will be by mid August.

From the 17th  July when there were 9,077 Infections a Day

to Today 31st July , the Virus has more than doubled to 18,912 Cases.

That is a period of just 14 days !.

If the Virus carries on, with no meaningful obstacles placed in its path , then it will double again within the next 14 Days to 37,824 cases

I really hope that this will not happen, but without some really drastic and effective measures put in place, I see no other alternative.

My apologies. Early morning fog. Nxt month should see 1,000,000+. 

30 minutes ago, James105 said:

My point about in the UK that prior infection counts for nothing is related to the domestic vaccine passports that seem to be on the way in there.    Someone in their 20s, who is confirmed to have had covid and who had a mild or asymptomatic infection will not be allowed to go to a nightclub in September there unless vaccinated - so in that case prior infection counts for nothing.

Yes, naturally immunity does not preclude reinfection, but of the very small number of people that have managed to catch it twice, I don't think there are any that died or had a more severe illness than they did the first time.   On that basis alone I do not know why prior infection is not at least given equal weight to the vaccines.    In a country that quite frankly does not have enough vaccines then anyone who has 'recovered' from the virus should not be given it until at least everybody else has been vaccinated, and those recovered should be given the same status as someone vaccinated if 'unvaccinated' people are excluded from certain activities.   That was my point I was trying to make I think.    

Well vaccine passports is a whole other subject that you didn’t mention before. It’s not really relevant to Thailand atm, so I won’t go there.

I see your point about vaccinating people who have already been infected. Previously sympotomatic people could be easily identified, but the need to test every single person before vaccination would be too big a task I think. And that is what would be required in order to identify previously asymptomatic cases. They wouldn’t know they had it before. Plus, a very small percentage of the population have actually had Covid so far. Easier to just jab.

Out of all this i still don't understand how the virus entered Thailand - is it safe to assume the borders were never secure at any point? The unstable situation in India and Myanmar was probably the route into Thailand. Surely those borders should have been manned with the military. 

your quite right but a bunch of arrogant incompetent know it alls who have now passed a law saying basically,we will put u in jail if u speak the truth about us.a reflection of the culture here.somewhat exaggerated but it is what it is all the same,good luck dont hold ur breath.im sure posts like ours will be shortly deemed offensive

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Friday said that expatriates living in Thailand can get themselves vaccinated in Bangkok and five nearby "dark red" provinces.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs will open the vaccination registration in advance for foreigners at the beginning of August. The vaccination will be open for people in all age groups, but will focus on foreigners aged 60 and above.

Vaccination open in six "red provinces" for expats aged 60-plus

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40004002

Edited by anchadian
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marvin Hagler said:

I can’t help but think the Thais have a lot to answer for in this rapid spread.

I live in a part of the world where we are just about to enter a 3 day lockdown. My wife is Thai and through her I know 2 Thais that have house cleaning businesses (small business with 2 Thai employees each).

They plan to go to work cleaning houses next week. I cannot say how annoyed I am at this attitude and am considering calling the police/government. On the other side of course is why any customers would let them into their houses? Also why are their Farang husbands letting them do this? It is only a short lockdown and they are not depenadant on the money due to their working husbands and the fact that is only 3 days and they will not lose there customers because of this.

But of course they will not listen to reason and will not for a moment consider not going to clean those houses. It is incredibly annoying and hugely irresponsible that they break the rules like this with no understanding of the situation.

Thai social media is FULL of posts of people out and about without masks and carrying on as normal in Thailand. Of course it is to do with the poor education a d the incredibly short sighted view (direct consequence of stupidity due to poor education). 

In Sydney it is this same demographic of people and their flaunting of the rules and lack of consideration for ithers that has caused all the problems there.

Are the homeowners who are employing them also Thai? Because they don't have the excuse of needing money. Mask wearing relaxed a little, but now is back to 100%. I never see people getting round without them. It seems there's been a lot more resistance to masks in Australia than here.

Edited by Smithson

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thailand's Vaccine Tracker (July 31, 2021) About 5.82% of the population is fully vaccinated. 13,640,179 (+414,946) people have received the first dose, while 3,851,453 (+65,209) have been fully inoculated. #วัคซีนโควิด19 #COVID19 #ล็อกดาวน์ #KE

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1421359507142180868

A second day of improvement. I hope this keeps going.

5 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

At the risk of being controversial I am beginning to think we need to consider an additional angle on this.

Unless things change very quickly Thailand is not going to jab itself out of this mess. The Covid cat is out of the bag.

I think we need to consider the 'Indian example' Absolute carnage followed by a sharp drop in cases. Yes I am aware of the possibly millions of missing deaths there. It is reported that maybe 70% of the population now has antibiodies and that can only be by infection not innoculation.

Don't get me wrong, I want vaccinations available to all now but think we have to consider that a similar situation is awaiting us.

i agree,think in some ways its already here,testing....they just dont bother simply put.its been an exercise in stupidity and greed from day one in every way imaginable.no orders no covax scheme,bioscience,etc etc.i wanna get out of here soon,large nos of positives and deaths have just been ignored and not become part of the statistical anylisis which is needed to control the epidemic,we see the same in indo phils and other countries closeby,the same basic problems r the cause but here they have more resources its unreal but not unexpected. many of us called it way back