Thailand reports record high of coronavirus infections and deaths

webfact

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

It is still worrisome to me , that the second shot administration is falling a long way behind the fist Dose .

So I received first shot last Tues 27.

Next shot is 12 weeks time Oct 19.

AZ vaccine.

Decent gap!

1 minute ago, Cake Monster said:

It is still worrisome to me , that the second shot administration is falling a long way behind the fist Dose .

By now, even with the Vaccine rollout starting at the beginning of June, the second dose numbers should be rising on a 50 / 50 Basis with the single shot numbers.

but they are not.

One shot of any Vaccine is not going to give any protection against the Delta variant.

But 2 Doses stands a chance.

One shot does provide protection against serious illness and death. 1 shot of AZ i've seen around 70% and 1 mRNA is 80 or 90%. 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So I received first shot last Tues 27.

Next shot is 12 weeks time Oct 19.

AZ vaccine.

Decent gap!

So the time between shots has been extended out again, after being reduced to 8 weeks some time ago.

Or am I wrong on this ?

An 8 week timeline was given in order to get the Vaccines into arms ASAP, and the 12 weeks was deemed to be just wasting time.

Just wondering something.

If suddenly 200 million doses of Pfizer became available tomorrow - free of charge, would you still go to Bang Sue station to get vaccinated? As per other news 1 person can infect 9 people with delta variant unlike flu which only infects 2 people. 

Personally, I will be waiting to get my shot at the hospital. No matter how long it takes.

8 minutes ago, DaveSamutP said:

And of the 5.5% many are Sinovac which has low efficacy, especially against delta. So, almost nobody fully and efficaciously vaccinated. 

And those that are have a Vaccine coursing through them that drops off in effectiveness after 45 days to below 60% of its strength.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

[Responding to post removed by moderator for misinformation]

You do realize that vaccines are primarily intended to stop severe symptoms developing and not to stop infection, don’t you? Stopping infection is a very nice side benefit and to be WHO approved 50% efficacy is required from a vaccine.

I think the original poster was alluding to natural immunity which is given zero credit for some reason.   How many people (in the world) have died from a second infection of corona, or how many have had a more severe illness after getting it for the second time?  Even people who have had a confirmed asymptomatic or mild infection are being vaccinated in the UK as previous infection counts for nothing.

Just now, Cake Monster said:

So the time between shots has been extended out again, after being reduced to 8 weeks some time ago.

Or am I wrong on this ?

An 8 week timeline was given in order to get the Vaccines into arms ASAP, and the 12 weeks was deemed to be just wasting time.

I believe it was initially 16 weeks that this Government wanted, then they put it down to 12 and were thinking, the operative word Thinking of dropping it to 8, but then that never materialized, not as of yet at least.  My appointment was on June 24th with my second shot scheduled for September 16th.  I am sure if it changes I might get a new e-mail from the intervac/medpark site, but then I have it in writing with my sheet that indicates the first vaccination, lot number and serial number of the Vial used the first time around.  Their is a second spot below the first to input the next dose as well as the lot and serial number as well.

Phuket reservations slow down for August

Reservation bookings in the Phuket/Phuket Sandbox are slowing down for August amidst speeding up Covid cases on the island.

Siripakorn Cheawsamoot, an official from the Tourism Authority of Thailand says hotel reservations for August has gone down by 5% over the last couple of days.

As of Thursday, a person shy of 13,000 people had visited Phuket. 30 travellers tested positive for Covid.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/phuket-reservations-slow-down-for-august

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The GF is from Myanmar, she talks to her mom daily, cases are all over the place, many are dying and then there is no medicines or hospitals to treat the majority who live far outside of the big cities. On top of that the ethnic divisions make it nearly impossibly to get anything.  She believes the Government is happy that they can rid the population of the less fortunate which will stop the protests against their coup.  You wonder if Thailand Government thinks the same.

Shirley not

6 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Just wondering something.

If suddenly 200 million doses of Pfizer became available tomorrow - free of charge, would you still go to Bang Sue station to get vaccinated? As per other news 1 person can infect 9 people with delta variant unlike flu which only infects 2 people. 

Personally, I will be waiting to get my shot at the hospital. No matter how long it takes.

Now there a conundrum indeed

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I believe it was initially 16 weeks that this Government wanted, then they put it down to 12 and were thinking, the operative word Thinking of dropping it to 8, but then that never materialized, not as of yet at least.  My appointment was on June 24th with my second shot scheduled for September 16th.  I am sure if it changes I might get a new e-mail from the intervac/medpark site, but then I have it in writing with my sheet that indicates the first vaccination, lot number and serial number of the Vial used the first time around.  Their is a second spot below the first to input the next dose as well as the lot and serial number as well.

My bad then

So many flip flops its difficult to remember all the things this Government say and they either renege on completely, or simple just change 

• Like 1

Hypothetical theory IMO

1 Person has covert for 7 days average

That means 15,000 people x 7 days = 105,000 people infected at any one time at a guess

Hypothetically they give it to one person each day that would be 210,000 infected on day 8 and so on

Testing for covert takes say 10 minutes by one nurse. One Nurse could test 48 people a day

That’s 1,575,000 minutes to test 105,000 people

26,000 hours or 3,281.25 8hr day to test 105,000 people

410 Nurses could test 105,000 people a day at a guess

I have no idea the percentage of test to find one positive

Nurse’s wage at a guess Bht 1,500 per day, 410 Nurses Bht 615,000 per day

The question is what do you do with all the positive tested people?

Note this is only my Hypothetical theory

Please add to it if you have a better theory

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Cake Monster said:

My bad then

So many flip flops its difficult to remember all the things this Government say and they either renege on completely, or simple just change 

You are right on that one Thailand the hub of flip-flops and daily reevaluation of yesterdays information which they can never admit was incorrect or retracted.

Why so many cases and deaths from the prisons? Do the stats also include the IDC which only hold foreign inmates? 

Both prisons and IDC have always been noted for being overcrowded even well before covid, So, how are they suddenly able to find room to apply social distancing and quarantining for inmates?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Or am I wrong on this ?

12 wks for AZ is correct. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

12 wks for AZ is correct. 

The following refers to first and second shot of AZ vaccine.

The official health advice from ATAGI, the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation, remains most people have their booster shot at 12 weeks for optimal COVID protection, but under certain circumstances that can go down to four weeks. Those circumstances include imminent travel or if there’s a risk of COVID-19 exposure

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The second shot depend on the interval recommendation. For AstraZeneca, the interval is 12 weeks. I got my first shot on the 29 June and my second scheduled on the 22 September which is within the recommendation. My staffs got their first shot Sinopharm on the 23 July and second shot on 16 August. Sinopharm interval is 3-4 weeks. For Pfizer and Moderna, the intervals are 21 and 28 days respectively. 

Yes, well aware of that... But also aware that the shorter interval Sinovac vaccine was the one they were primarily dosing out in the early days of the vaccination campaign here. The longer interval AZ doses only began ramping up relatively recently.

Lately, I haven't been hearing any/many reports of second shot AZ appointments being canceled or delayed.  So I don't know if they are and we're just not hearing about it, or, they're allocating enough second shot doses right now to cover all the 2nd shot appointments that are coming due.

16 minutes ago, James105 said:

I think the original poster was alluding to natural immunity which is given zero credit for some reason.   How many people (in the world) have died from a second infection of corona, or how many have had a more severe illness after getting it for the second time?  Even people who have had a confirmed asymptomatic or mild infection are being vaccinated in the UK as previous infection counts for nothing.

You can become infected with a different variant of the virus after previously having been infected with some other variant. Plus, the natural immunity protection from a prior infection isn't permanent and wanes over time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Absolutely awful. This Indian variant has been horrific. 

Out of all this i still don't understand how the virus entered Thailand - is it safe to assume the borders were never secure at any point? The unstable situation in India and Myanmar was probably the route into Thailand. Surely those borders should have been manned with the military. 

IIRC, according to several published reports, the initial delta variant cases were detected as part of the Thonglor cluster and the suspicion is that they were imported from Cambodia because of the number of Cambodian workers at the establishments involved (and the fact that the delta variant was known to be present in Cambodia already).

A further suspicion was voiced that these workers may have been brought in illegally, bypassing the quarantine requirements.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

Front page report in the NY Times re anti-vaxer regret:

They Spurned the Vaccine. Now They Want You to Know They Regret It.

People who once rejected the vaccine or simply waited too long are now grappling with the consequences, often in raw, public ways.

"PROVO, Utah — As Mindy Greene spent another day in the Covid intensive care unit, listening to the whirring machines that now breathed for her 42-year-old husband, Russ, she opened her phone and tapped out a message.

“We did not get the vaccine,” she wrote on Facebook. “I read all kinds of things about the vaccine and it scared me. So I made the decision and prayed about it and got the impression that we would be ok.”

They were not."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/us/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-regret.html

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, James105 said:

1. It is misinformation to say that previous infection counts for nothing. It clearly does. However, it does not preclude reinfection.

2. I saw nothing in the now removed post alluding to natural immunity. It did have some extrapolation of theories based on the misconception that vaccines are primarily designed to stop infection. By not understanding the primary benefit conferred by vaccines, what came after was tainted fruit.

you do realize that in your first sentence you say that natural immunity is given zero credit for some reason. You then go on to say in a later sentence that infection counts for nothing. You seem to be tying yourself in knots for some unknown reason.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 2

Daily cases in the US for example are spiking. The vaccine has been being administered for months. 

I don’t have a solution I just find it odd more people aren’t speaking about this.

I believe the mechanism is probably people get comfortable after they get the vaccine, they can finally relax. And bam. 

I think every country is going to have to go through a post vaccination wave. Can cross fingers after that.

Thailand is just entering its initial wave. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posts with unsourced graphics have been removed.

A post with a translation of a government decree has been removed. This is because there was no link to the source of this transition.

Replies to all of these posts have been removed.

If you post graphics, charts or items such as government documents or translations thereof, please include a link to the source of the document.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Phuket reservations slow down for August

Reservation bookings in the Phuket/Phuket Sandbox are slowing down for August amidst speeding up Covid cases on the island.

Siripakorn Cheawsamoot, an official from the Tourism Authority of Thailand says hotel reservations for August has gone down by 5% over the last couple of days.

As of Thursday, a person shy of 13,000 people had visited Phuket. 30 travellers tested positive for Covid.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/phuket-reservations-slow-down-for-august

It’s possible that the initial backlog of people waiting to return to family in Thailand has now cleared. People who were intending to use the sandbox to travel elsewhere in Thailand have probably cancelled. So ya, a drop in “tourist” bookings.

I actually don’t think Covid infections in Phuket impact on European and USA tourists much. They are coming from countries with Covid infections so are used to it and have been vaccinated with quality vaccines, so think they are as safe as you can get. That’s what my sister says anyway. She says people in the UK are just living with it now that the majority are vaccinated.

Of more impact is hassle to get in, hassle to get back, closed up resorts when they get here and restrictions on what they can do. But Covid fear is in their rear view mirror. Generalizing of course. Those at risk may have a very different view.

• Like 1