Thailand reports record high of coronavirus infections and deaths

webfact

19 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

It's bad all around S.E. Asia...and record cases in Japan too. There was never any reason to think we wouldn't get hit hard like much of the world last year, despite the best efforts to keep the virus at bay. The plan now, like elsewhere, is carry on with mitigation measures to slow new cases and vaccinate like heck. With this, serious illness and death will be minimized. 

Vaccinate like heck, now theres a thing they haunt thought about

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

That is a hell that I don't wish on anyone.  Just awful.  Sad.  

The GF is from Myanmar, she talks to her mom daily, cases are all over the place, many are dying and then there is no medicines or hospitals to treat the majority who live far outside of the big cities. On top of that the ethnic divisions make it nearly impossibly to get anything.  She believes the Government is happy that they can rid the population of the less fortunate which will stop the protests against their coup.  You wonder if Thailand Government thinks the same.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I can’t help but think the Thais have a lot to answer for in this rapid spread.

I live in a part of the world where we are just about to enter a 3 day lockdown. My wife is Thai and through her I know 2 Thais that have house cleaning businesses (small business with 2 Thai employees each).

They plan to go to work cleaning houses next week. I cannot say how annoyed I am at this attitude and am considering calling the police/government. On the other side of course is why any customers would let them into their houses? Also why are their Farang husbands letting them do this? It is only a short lockdown and they are not depenadant on the money due to their working husbands and the fact that is only 3 days and they will not lose there customers because of this.

But of course they will not listen to reason and will not for a moment consider not going to clean those houses. It is incredibly annoying and hugely irresponsible that they break the rules like this with no understanding of the situation.

Thai social media is FULL of posts of people out and about without masks and carrying on as normal in Thailand. Of course it is to do with the poor education a d the incredibly short sighted view (direct consequence of stupidity due to poor education). 

In Sydney it is this same demographic of people and their flaunting of the rules and lack of consideration for ithers that has caused all the problems there.

• Like 2

[Responding to post removed by moderator for misinformation]

You do realize that vaccines are primarily intended to stop severe symptoms developing and not to stop infection, don’t you? Stopping infection is a very nice side benefit and to be WHO approved 50% efficacy is required from a vaccine.

1 hour ago, Marvin Hagler said:

it is official policy now that positive results from home testing will NOT be included in official tallies

The policy also includes that positive results have to be confirmed by a PCR test though until which they shall be included als “probable infection”. 

What I find more concerning isn’t even this but to switch from PCR to rapid antigen tests for the proactive case finding. From what I know, these rapid tests have a high specificity but a low sensitivity, so confirming positive tests with a PCR tests is less of a concern — it’s go get a positive result in the first place. 

10 minutes ago, Almer said:

Vaccinate like heck, now theres a thing they haunt thought about

Empirical data like the one below should frighten those vaccine hesitant people. Current medicines are not adequate to combat serious infection and death from the Delta variant according to some doctors. Only vaccination can. 
https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210629/almost-all-us-covid-19-deaths-now-in-the-unvaccinated

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Right now my brother in law is standing outside a hospital since 7 am it's now 9-15 am he tested positive 2 days ago and the bed was booked for him, he says the amount of people outside the hospital is unbelievable he is supposed to have a number in the que, organised chaos he said,

I should have said in Bangkok

Bangkok is a faild city. The traffic, the unhealthy  air, the corruption, and now this Covid 19.

I think, and hope, that after the Covid19 catastroph, decentralisation will be the new norm in the world.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Today's Vaccinations Update:

18.3% first shot, only nearly 5.5% both shots.

2021-07-31b.jpg.adb4fd73b09e88ede43f32d8aff2d67b.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Yesterday's total number of COVID vaccine shots given reported today, at 463,460, is one of the highest daily figures I've seen since they began back in late February.   The day before's total shots number was 388,646.

They're moving the needle on increasing the number and percentage of first shots given. But the fully vaccinated, second shot number is increasing only VERY slowly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I didn't find your post completely left field.

Not so sure about the one sentence I picked out. (yes more to your post).

Personally don't think we are anywhere near the 70% you mention.

Also deaths sound ok on paper.

I can't opt for that.

For me it's persevere with the restrictions for as long as possible. Even increase them.

I totally agree with your post.

Increase the restrictions is the possible answer.

The only drawback to that is the actual enforcement of any restrictions.

Forcing something such as tight controls on the Thai population, would be akin to try to herd Cats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marvin Hagler said:

In a strange way it is the example of India that gives me hope that Covid will be over at some point and there is a way through this.

As we know now India was the Covid apolocolpyse and as bad as the human tragedy has been the fact remains that India is still there, the people are still there, it is still functioning and it won’t disappear and nor will the people.

This is bad but it WILL pass.

Yes, it will pass unless we see another stronger mutation. Which means a new cycle and a few years more of deaths and suffering.

I am not the fan of conspiracy theories, but find it surprising how effective this virus has been. Nature acting this strong and fast is pretty amazing.

Anyway, the Delta variant seems impossible to stop, even for Australia. So no wonder it is doing very well in Thailand and all other countries.

But you are right. Eventually it will die out by itself. But I guess we have to face the fact that we will all be infected with the virus at some point. It is simply too strong.

Edited by khunpa
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yesterday's total number of COVID vaccine shots given reported today, at 463,460, is one of the highest daily figures I've seen since they began back in late February.   The day before's total shots number was 388,646.

They're moving the needle on increasing the number and percentage of first shots given. But the fully vaccinated, second shot number is increasing only VERY slowly.

It is still worrisome to me , that the second shot administration is falling a long way behind the fist Dose .

By now, even with the Vaccine rollout starting at the beginning of June, the second dose numbers should be rising on a 50 / 50 Basis with the single shot numbers.

but they are not.

One shot of any Vaccine is not going to give any protection against the Delta variant.

But 2 Doses stands a chance.

3 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

"A total of five people were hospitalized, including four who were fully vaccinated. No deaths were reported."

That's the only efficacy that matters at this point with the Delta variant. No longer can hope to stop transmission, just deaths and reduce hospitalizations. 

And as that article explains, it's the tranmissibility of the Delta variant that recently led the U.S.  CDC to reinstitute its mask wearing recommendation even for those who have been vaccinated.

3 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Absolutely awful. This Indian variant has been horrific. 

Out of all this i still don't understand how the virus entered Thailand - is it safe to assume the borders were never secure at any point? The unstable situation in India and Myanmar was probably the route into Thailand. Surely those borders should have been manned with the military. 

The variant was first reported in India but could have originated somewhere else. 

It is now in virtually every country on earth. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, sucit said:

From the information given in the headline, it can’t be concluded that vaccines are not or less effective. The headline is only talking about infections. It should be expected that the more people get vaccinated:

1. Absolute number of Hospitalizations and deaths should go down;

2. The percentage/share of unvaccinated people being hospitalized or dying should temporally go down, until…

3. The percentage/share of unvaccinated people being hospitalized or dying should eventually go up again; and 

4. The percentage/share of unvaccinated people being hospitalized or dying will depend on what groups got vaccinated first, with what vaccines, and how many jabs. (Once everyone has been vaccinated, all hospitalizations/deaths from Covid will be vaccinated people; if, until then, all vulnerable people have been vaccinated but many of the rest decides not to get vaccinated, I would expect to see a high percentage of vaccinated people being hospitalized or even dying) 

How the number of infections will develop is difficult to anticipate with the information we have. My very own hypothesis is that in a fully vaccinated society the number of infections will go up (and may be higher than what we see now) but that we will live with it (and maybe even only test for it once it comes to hospitalization or complications) because the hospitalizations and deaths will be low. 

The above is my logical conclusion based on information that we know so far. This may all change depending on how this virus develops. 

Edited by cocoonclub

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The second shot depend on the interval recommendation. For AstraZeneca, the interval is 12 weeks. I got my first shot on the 29 June and my second scheduled on the 22 September which is within the recommendation. My staffs got their first shot Sinopharm on the 23 July and second shot on 16 August. Sinopharm interval is 3-4 weeks. For Pfizer and Moderna, the intervals are 21 and 28 days respectively.