Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

2 hours ago, Boarn said:

Interesting topic, as someone who has thought about leaving Thailand (but for very different reasons that most) I find I'm still here 17 years on.

My main gripe is the pathological hatred I have of my own county (the UK) and everything it has become, and the difficulties in obtaining Thai citizenship in order to be able to renounce UK citizenship. Still being British I find myself having to check in on the news, there is an invisible rope tied to me that connects me to the place, and only this morning they are defacing statues of heroes in Liverpool. I am proud of everything Britain WAS, what it has become is disgusting.

So my main reasons for leaving, would be to go to another country where naturalisation is easier so I could once and for all rid myself of being British, it's nonsense that citizenship here is so hard (albeit doable), I've found myself missing out the chance to apply due to changing jobs and new work permits breaking my 3 years unbroken to be able to apply.

My number once choice would be join the Pioneer Column of the British South Africa company making my way up to claim my 3000 acres of land in Mashonaland in 1890 but that's not on the cards! I'd also quite fancy a tea plantation in Ceylon, a hill retreat in Burma or to follow in the footsteps ok Kipling! Oh how Britain has fallen and let down generations of people who fought the British line over the years.

So, while Thailand allows we to get away from the monstrosity of what the UK has become, it doesn't quite allow me to fully escape, so in that reason leaving Thailand may be a option to find somewhere that will.

I think this is one of the main problems of living in a country that is not your native country. The locals will never let you be truly part of the place, that is true as much of Japan as it is of Thailand. Just to speak the language, even if you master it fully, you will still obviously be a foreigner and not a local. Even if you jumped through all the hoops and got citizenship. Your kids might, you will not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The world is perfect .It's a mess. It has always been a mess. We are not going to change it. Our job is to straighten out our own lives. - Joseph Campbell

In the States with Thai wife and life is good. But we have this thing hanging over our heads which is the virus. It seems to exacerbate our feelings towards things. Despite life being good (I'm retired and she works), its affecting us all mentally with the restrictions and travel problems. There is a pall that hangs over everyone.

Even though life is good, the news is all about the virus. 90% of it or more. We are are not all feeling normal. Family in Europe feels the same. The new normal affecting our emotional health.

Anyway, problems everywhere and often better to not dwell on it. We work on what we can do within our control.

• Like 1

There are a lot of things that are slowly making me tired of Thailand! For example: It is currently (12. Aug 2021) not possible to make the 90 day report online! The link doesn't work. Folks, we live in the 21st century! But no report anywhere from immigration. We're just being fooled!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But do you really want to be truly part of the place?

Years ago I thought I would want that. And I realized it will never happen.

And now? Now I like the idea that I am in Thailand as a farang and not as a Thai. Because being a Thai also means being part of the hierarchy. Thais can't switch who they are and to which part of that hierarchy they belong. A farang does not have these boundaries. Thais know farangs are (a little) crazy and Thais let farangs get away with that. That sets us free.

Crazy? Look up the crime stats

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But do you really want to be truly part of the place?

Years ago I thought I would want that. And I realized it will never happen.

And now? Now I like the idea that I am in Thailand as a farang and not as a Thai. Because being a Thai also means being part of the hierarchy. Thais can't switch who they are and to which part of that hierarchy they belong. A farang does not have these boundaries. Thais know farangs are (a little) crazy and Thais let farangs get away with that. That sets us free.

Yes, we have more freedoms in Thailand than Thais in some respects. Of course to be truly a part of society only matters if you have political concerns. Or can not own land. I would very much like to own land in Thailand outright, not through smoke and mirrors. But it's also a psychological thing. In order to differentiate themselves people like Anutin will portray Farang as the dirty foreigners who don't shower, and no doubt many Thais do believe that. Every country believes they're better than the others. It's normal. It doesn't really matter to us, because as Farang we know we're smarter, better looking, more highly regarded in most places, so we're quite comfortable with this anti-farang nonsense. And if some Thai thinks you're a lesser person, I guess personally it would matter very little. It's more the legal and political disadvantages.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ujayujay said:

There are a lot of things that are slowly making me tired of Thailand! For example: It is currently (12. Aug 2021) not possible to make the 90 day report online! The link doesn't work. Folks, we live in the 21st century! But no report anywhere from immigration. We're just being fooled!

I am currently do a lot with a county in Europe which is well known for their great technology. Doing something online? 555! Maybe one can send an email to the administration. But they can't and/or are not allowed to answer per email. They send it out by snail mail. Really! So it's not only Thailand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have to admit even if I would allowed to vote I have no idea who I would vote for. The criminals, the corrupt, the drug dealers, so many choices... 

Well, that's the thing, no politician will ever represent the interests of non-Thais. Since you're not fully part of Thailand's body politic you have no voice, no influence. You don't matter in the big scheme of things. And you can have no political power or influence.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Well, that's the thing, no politician will ever represent the interests of non-Thais. Since you're not fully part of Thailand's body politic you have no voice, no influence. You don't matter in the big scheme of things. And you can have no political power or influence.

I would want to vote for a politician who is honest and competent and who does his best to work for all the people who live in the country. Now does have Thailand such a politician?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would want to vote for a politician who is honest and competent and who does his best to work for all the people who live in the country. Now does have Thailand such a politician?

Well politicians generally work for a specific clientele. Even if the say they represent all people. Normally they don't. They represent certain sections of society. But the farang is a clientele that is not wanted. No politician will represent people who can not own land and can not vote. So since you are not fully part of Thai society, nobody in politics will work for your interests.

Which is why you have nobody to vote for, even if politicians were honest and competent. Which they are not. Neither in Thailand nor anywhere in the world.

Now, if you were Thai, you may have politicians who are not competent or not honest, but they would work towards goals that benefit your group, potentially.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Agreed, my desire to be in Thailand has nearly collapsed since the pandemic.  The whole place is upside down, where our life here is almost entirely normal.

Seems some only like Thailand as long as it's all good for them. Others, IMO, are in a sort of marriage with LOS, for better or worse.

Perhaps Thailand doesn't need fair weather friends and the current situation is sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Abhisit came across that way..........................but the Democrats are unelectable

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 1:13 PM, xylophone said:

Fact check: The vaccine for COVID-19 has been nearly 20 years in the making
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/01/21/fact-check-covid-19-vaccine-nearly-20-years-making/3873247001/

What accelerated the vaccine process was manufacturing.   

And in that entire 20 years they couldn't pass the FDA approval process.

I believe (though I may be wrong) it was a blood clotting problem that had them fail the approval process.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Indian Visas for Thai people are quite hard to get

I could use my British passport. Many retirees here don't realize how lucky they are compared to other countries Thais have problems with. 

• Like 2