Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

On 7/31/2021 at 11:14 PM, HeijoshinCool said:

Might as well hunker down, stock up, because things are only going to get worse. Our lives, as we have known and enjoyed them, are over. That's not pessimism, it's realism. Sad but true.

While this is true, if you don't have or can't get actual permanent residency you have the issue of sovereign risk.  Look to those in Malaysia with the pivot on changes  the Malaysian MM2H in a thread in here, mostly simply can't afford the new requirements, so when their visa runs out that's it.  I'd suggest Euro citizens have it best, they have a plethora of countries to choose from if they run into issues in other countries where they are at the whim of government. Which is why I don't understand the citizens of the UK citizens cutting off their nose.

I am liking the sounds of Laos, albeit I have only lived in Thailand and Cambodia and getting to old for the shenanigans other countries impose.  Maybe I won't like it, but if I never go, I'll never know and I'll keep my place here in Australia as bolt hole.

All of this for me is of course is pie in the sky until something is sorted out with Covid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BumGun said:

Which is why I don't understand the citizens of the UK citizens cutting off their nose.

We Brits resisted previous 2 attempts of a united Europe under German rule.

But maybe you're right, my life probably wouldn't have been worse under the NAZIs.

And I could have still purchased that retirement home in France.

I played no part in WW1, WW2 or Brexit by the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, The Farang said:

Been back and forth here for about 6 years and I love Thailand but I have to admit, this time around is a different vibe.  I am not sure things will ever be the same again thanks to covid.  But hey, everywhere has its own bs.

Clearly some businesses won't re-open. Some will change a lot if they survive. However, new ones will open when tourists return.

Then all bets will be off and entrepreneurs will open whatever makes money.

Strictly speaking things are never the same, but I suspect a lot of  what will come will be the same old once tourists come back.

And if we're honest, do we really need a snake show, a monkey show, or that 23rd Thai noodle shop? Most of the big institutions we actually need, banks, Central Festival, DIY stores, will all be around. And a selection of bars and night clubs will be around as well as people like to go out.

Sure, we'll miss the extra peanuts as I din klin krog cuts down, but there'll be new places opening when tourists come back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

there'll be new places opening when tourists come back.

IMO most guys on here don't give a monkey's about anything but the old style nightlife. They can tart up the tourist areas and put on all the cultural shows they like, but what we want are bars and girls.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO most guys on here don't give a monkey's about anything but the old style nightlife. They can tart up the tourist areas and put on all the cultural shows they like, but what we want are bars and girls.

I'm OK with the Thai style nightlife and girls.

Not that I use either much anymore.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

We Brits resisted previous 2 attempts of a united Europe under German rule.

But maybe you're right, my life probably wouldn't have been worse under the NAZIs.

And I could have still purchased that retirement home in France.

I played no part in WW1, WW2 or Brexit by the way.

Better food!

On 8/3/2021 at 9:41 PM, In Full Agreement said:

You would be a brave man indeed to drive from the USA to either Central America or South America.   Not saying it hasn't been done but what a drive that'd be.

If you go to the https://advrider.com/ web site you will find trip reports on numerous people who have done it over the decades. From Alaska down the the bottom of South America

On 8/3/2021 at 6:41 PM, In Full Agreement said:

You would be a brave man indeed to drive from the USA to either Central America or South America.   Not saying it hasn't been done but what a drive that'd be.

You can't drive from Panama to Colombia. 

On 8/23/2021 at 9:32 AM, In Full Agreement said:

Read the post above the one you made.

The problem with driving is the Darien Gap.

There is no land crossing across the Panama Canal.

A bridge has been discussed for years, yet here we are

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, trunav said:

What nonsense ? Life is still perfect, I do not need to vaccinate and I did not get covid because I am smart enough to protect myself and do not hangout anywhere with useless friends and family.

Well, hate to tell you this, but if you ever want to eat in a restaurant, visit a shopping mall or cinema, or board an airplane to travel within the country - you're going to be forced into a vaccine dose or three.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, thailanddogerator said:

which hopefully will happen soon ❤️

Then we will really know who was smart or not in this world, ...the cattle or the rest of us !

Nature does have her way by particular selection of cleansing.

Looking forward to it. 

Can only be beneficial.

Edited by zzaa09
  • Confused 1