Looking Back, Now..….What Was Your Favorite and Happiest Year in Thailand?

On 8/3/2021 at 8:30 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. IMO nothing more uplifting and inspirational than really good sex, but never mind, to answer the OP minus the happy bits, 1996 had to be the best year for me in Thailand, I had completed my contract in Saudi and was fully financed, I had as much time as I wanted as between jobs, and back then Pattaya really was Fun City. Not just Pattaya, Bangkok and tours through LOS, as I also visited the islands, which had not yet become the flashpacker hell they were to become.

All in all, a year to remember.

IMO unless it all disappears into a black hole, once the last sun runs out of fuel and dies, the universe will remain as a void full of burnt planets and whatever suns are once they consume themselves, but as noted that's my opinion, and none of us will be around to see what does happen.

In fact, even black holes, which have mass, evaporate eventually. Due to entropy, in due time, there will be nothing. This will require 10 raised to the power of 100 years, not a poultry sum. You can read about it here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future  and here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_an_expanding_universe

and by reading writings of a few top physicists.

This is nothing for us to worry about at this time, however. 

And, if protons do not decay....then all bets are off, and the universe will still exist in a googol years

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

2017...I had just retired and moved to Phuket. I had previously lived and worked in LOS from 2005-2011 before moving back to the US for a contract work assignment that morphed into being there for 6 years on a lucrative full time job assignment.

When I retired in 2017 and moved back to LOS on a non-IMM O visa, it was great; having previously spent many previous years in LOS, I had become wiser and avoided the pitfalls that befall older western guys; namely the young, shapely, seductive and well-trained "love you long time" c**p. 

Instead, I settled into a healthy daily routine, made friends among the locals and other expats and just enjoyed a simple, healthy, low-drama lifestyle. Among these expats was a decent fellow also from the US who along with his Thai wife, who owned a couple of hotels in Patong. He was doing OK, and I became sort of part of his family of his son and adopted daughter. It was real sweet. 

Then another contract assignment from the US came through and I went back to the US for what I thought at the time would be about 8-12 months, planning to return to LOS again in early 2019.

Then while in the US soon before I planned to return to the LOS and retire "2.0", my beautiful daughter and son-in-law announced they were pregnant with twin daughters. My daughter really wanted me to stay around and be a loving Grandpa...DONE DEAL; my twin granddaughters are beyond adorable; one of the best the best decisions I've made to stay in the US...and when I decided to move to the LOS back in 2005, that was also one of the best decisions I've made.

What my "best decision" going forward will be re: the LOS ???...I have no idea...we are living in not just strange times, but perilous times if one is not sensitive to the subtleties of wisdom and willing to follow it. But I do miss that primo year of 2017 in LOS...

Edited by WingFat

Well, I had a long think about your question, and although I came to stay long-term in Thailand in about 2003 (I had previously visited with my English wife in the 80's), I can't say that any year was happy!!!  They were spoilt by business problems, martial problems, drug-dealer problems (no, I wasn't buying or selling), police problems and corruption problems ????  Note that I loved the country, scenery, food etc 

The happy years between 2003 and the present day were when I was working in either Myanmar or Laos.  I can't recall any unhappy times in those countries, no women problems, no corruption problem etc.

I always found that those with next-to-nothing were the happiest, most honest, friendliest and most helpful people.  

So.... apart from shopping and dentist trips to Bangkok when (if) the borders open up from Laos, I have no great urge to return to live in Thailand.  That would only happen if I develop some serious medical issues which couldn't be treated in Laos (so about anything more serious than a head cold LoL!).

Hmm, let's see.  I met my wonderful wife beginning of 2000, had a family right away, tried to get a house built here (well known builder ran off with progress payment advance for materials), coup in 2006, late in life miracle 3rd child with the teens a few years from leaving the nest, value of land investments here going to hell, baht too strong for a very long time, increasing immigration complexities the last 5 years... Yup, the best years were '92 (my 1st time here) '94, '96 - '99 (month long tourist all those years).  '98 was really good at 52 baht to the USD around new years at Lamai Beach.  Was right when I came and cashed all the USD to baht I was going to use and went into drunken sailor mode.  Even converted some back as I was leaving back to the US and made money on it.  A good number of pretty girls were all nighting for 600 baht ($11.50) and very, very appreciative to get that.   Party at night, quite and mellow during the day.  Good times, good times....

• Like 1

Tough to beat my first trip in Sep 2004.  The timing was perfect.  I had gotten my life track squared away.  Had money, investments, a fun contract job, was enjoying Southern California.  Got my passport renewed.  10 day trip sep 1 to sep 11.  Did all the initial tourist fun things and more.  Soapy massage girl took three days off with me.  her Uncle drove us around, Nong Nooch beautiful day.  Crocodile million years part the next.  Speed boat to quite part of Ko Larn.  Then a bar girl for a few days that had a motor scooter.  Drove me around.  Flight home was on Sep 11 AKA 9-11. The 747 was empty, less than 30 people on it.  I had an entire row to myself for a nice lay down across seats nap for long leg home.

Dec 2004 second trip was a close second.  Met up with my buddy and he showed me more things I did not know about.  We all went to Ko Samet and were there during the Tsunami.  I made another 13 trips.  2008 was a fun trip as I stayed two months.  Took a bus ride up to Sukhothai from Mo chit.  Beautiful and serene.  Went to Ao Nang and loved it taking the ferry from Phuket over.  Karon beach in Phuket was nice also as the water was good for swimming and I love seeing the white buddha up on the hill while in the water.

I am sure my next trip will be the best since I have not been there since 2019 and I will be semi retired with absolutely no time or financial constraints at all.  Die COVID die

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

I can't say that any year was happy!!!

You are doing something wrong.

In my over 20 years here all years were happy. Obviously there were a few days which were not so good but all in all I had and still have a great time.