MedPark Hospital - Will I definately get Pfizer ?

vision2014

On July30, I registered on MedPark's website for a covid vacccination and was asked to choose between Pfizer, Astra Zenica and Sinovac. I selected Pfizer and received an email confirming a vaccination booking for August 11, 2021.  HOWEVER, the email from MedPark states my "preference" is Pfizer rather than indicating that I will definately receive Pfizer. So, I am concerned that I will travel from Pattaya to MedPark (located in Bangkok) to discover that Pfizer is NOT available.  I am not interested in Sinovac and I hate to  travel to Bangkok and accomplish nothing.

My question is has anyone else registered on MedPark's site and did you receive an email confirming you would receive the vaccination you requested. Thanks !

• Haha 1

When is your appointment? time on the 11th.

Your age? Underlying conditions?

I think you'll get Pfizer, but obviously I can't guarantee anything.

I'm not sure it's worth the trips, second dose in another 21-28 days?

23 minutes ago, vision2014 said:

I hate to  travel to Bangkok and accomplish nothing.

Risk/reward. Only you can answer that.

My email: Prefers Pfizer-BioNTech

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

August 13th appt Medpark.  Have e-mailed them 2x and they have confirmed AZ will be my shot (no Pfizer option at that time).

What time was your appointment on Friday 13 August?

May I ask why you had to email them twice?

36 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

What time was your appointment on Friday 13 August?

May I ask why you had to email them twice?

The appt was made some time ago and as the landscape has been continually changing over time for vaccine choices, best to make sure over that breath of time I was still to receive the vaccine I was to originally scheduled to get.

30 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Received email from MedPark see below.  Suits me!

This seems like a very, very, very bad idea.

They've taken what has been reported as a safe, reliable and orderly vaccination process - based on many reports here and on Thai social media - and turned it into another 'bang sue-like' feeding frenzy with three days, in the case of Olmate of appointments potentially skewed to the opening on the 10th. Now a few hundred will queue for first access.

In my case, they gave me a 7-day window.

Still waiting for confirmation on the availability of Pfizer. This was confirmed on Thai social media, but now appears in doubt.

I think the recognition of the curfew (21:00) was important given the appointment window went to 22:00 -22:30, or maybe 22:30 - 23:00

I guess if this blows up they can fall back.

Edited by mtls2005

I  I did not put a specific day because things change so much. Best thing I think is to contact hospital for verification of a date.  But I did say to him I heard on the forum August 10.  He said that was correct.

1 hour ago, fredscats said:

Just got back,only AZ on offer....very efficient,just over 4 and half hours there/back.  Gives 70% protection just under 3 months  for number 2 thats close on 100% protection      why wait ? Covid is raging 

For expats who registered through expatvac.consular.go.th this past Sunday, you are almost guarantee to get Pfizer starting August 8. I have friends who got confirmation for August 8 yesterday. Good thing with Pfizer is that it only takes a little over a month to get full protection compare to AZ.

Not saying AZ is bad, but waiting 3 month in current situation does not help.

To clear up the confusion. Medpark has 2 registrations. On 16 July I registered with them for AZ and the earliest available date was 7 August which I selected and promptly got an email confirmation.

Medpark was apparently allocated a portion of the USA donated Pfizer by the Foreign Ministry for foreigners over age 60 (only available from 10 August forward). Registration opened via the thailandintervac.com site on 2 August. I signed up and was able to select Pfizer (other options were AZ and Sinovac). Earliest date was 11 August at 21:00 hour). I selected that and got immediate email confirm also saying “Prefers Pfizer-BioNTech”. Since time was after curfew, they even sent a statement in Thai to show the police.

I cancelled my 7 August appointment so as not to take a slot that would go unused.

Today I got another email from them

With the recent announcement on the continuation of curfew hours, we realized that everyone may want a bit more flexibility to be able to get home a little earlier. Because of this, we’ve moved your appointment up so it is earlier in the day. And to give you flexibility, you can choose to get vaccinated at Medpark any day from 10 - 12 August, 2021 at any time between 08:00 to 19:00 hrs.

The upshot ids if you registered before 2 August you had no choice but it was AZ. If after that you could select Pfizer.

Go to Thailandintervac.com as it seems there are still open options including Bumrungrad.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, glamont002 said:

To clear up the confusion. Medpark has 2 registrations. On 16 July I registered with them for AZ and the earliest available date was 7 August which I selected and promptly got an email confirmation.

Medpark was apparently allocated a portion of the USA donated Pfizer by the Foreign Ministry for foreigners over age 60 (only available from 10 August forward). Registration opened via the thailandintervac.com site on 2 August. I signed up and was able to select Pfizer (other options were AZ and Sinovac). Earliest date was 11 August at 21:00 hour). I selected that and got immediate email confirm also saying “Prefers Pfizer-BioNTech”. Since time was after curfew, they even sent a statement in Thai to show the police.

I cancelled my 7 August appointment so as not to take a slot that would go unused.

Today I got another email from them

With the recent announcement on the continuation of curfew hours, we realized that everyone may want a bit more flexibility to be able to get home a little earlier. Because of this, we’ve moved your appointment up so it is earlier in the day. And to give you flexibility, you can choose to get vaccinated at Medpark any day from 10 - 12 August, 2021 at any time between 08:00 to 19:00 hrs.

The upshot ids if you registered before 2 August you had no choice but it was AZ. If after that you could select Pfizer.

Go to Thailandintervac.com as it seems there are still open options including Bumrungrad.

Similar storyline for me, I registered Sunday evening (Aug 1st) , got a 19.30 slot on Wed Aug 11th. “ Prefers Pfizer “

Today got an identical email.

I live an hour north of MedPark and was hoping for a local shot from expatvac to avoid Bangkok but MedPark looks like it could be okay, not as crowded as Bang Sue ????

Could be AZ is better at fighting off the disease as it remembers the spikes in covid protien    so I read

BANGKOK (Reuters) - The chair of Thailand's Thonburi Healthcare Group (THG) said on Wednesday that a deal to import 20 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine was unlikely to happen, despite his earlier claims that a deal was close.

Edited by fredscats

2 hours ago, thanadon324 said:

For expats who registered through expatvac.consular.go.th this past Sunday, you are almost guarantee to get Pfizer starting August 8. I have friends who got confirmation for August 8 yesterday. Good thing with Pfizer is that it only takes a little over a month to get full protection compare to AZ.

Not saying AZ is bad, but waiting 3 month in current situation does not help.

You might be in for a change of mind

You will find that most if not all the AZ vaccines on offer are from the local Thai manufacturer - which is not recognised internationally as an accepted vaccine by the WHO. The WHO accepts AZ from a variety of international manufacturers, eg India, but NOT from Thailand. Most Thais steer away from this. I had an appointment today at BNH in BKK, easily obtained, very professional with an immediate reply by email and a subsequent text message confirming a date. I let it lapse when it read Thai Intervac. That partly explained how readily an appointment was available. I gather from other sources that the AZ jabbed at Bang Sue was NOT the Thai version, but a batch of Japan-produced and donated AZ, so a different story.

Today, I was surprised to see Pfizer as an option, though. BKK PTYA, btw, has only confirmed AZ (probably from the locally produced batch, i.e. no go for me). Pfizer was not confirmed by the other hospitals, but one only offered it for 60+ and/or conditions. I qualify on 60+, so see what happens.

On the thailandintervac link, btw, they state that the current phase is only for 60+ and underlying conditions.

Edited by desert dueller

Right now, get anything as long as it is not Sinovac

Take whichever they've got.  Whether Pfizer or AZ, immunization helps reduce your chance of hospitalization and death.  Your goal is survival.

The registration question should be:

Sinovac?      ____ Yes         ____ No

• Like 1