Baht could sink even further, analyst warns

webfact

33 minutes ago, tonray said:

It could be further along the way...but the Federal Reserve Bank is still stubbornly clinging to near zero interest rates in spite of inflationary evidence. I fear they do not know any other way than zero % at this point. 

That only makes sense if the problem is that too many dollars are chasing too few goods. But the fact is that the current inflation is more a matter of bottlenecks. For example, because of chip shortages, not enough cars are being made to satisfy demand. So the prices have gone up.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

80 baht per 1 usd

Don't laugh......A trend in motion, tends to stay in motion.......I make no predictions on numbers......But major trend changes very often go much lower or much higher than anyone expects......

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lodstewart said:

50Bt to the pound sterling would be so good then 55Bt ,  back to before brexit great news for all the Brit pensioners

i think you will find this to be the case by the end of the year.....50

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I think the Thai banks have been carrying bad loans for a very loooong time....One day a spectacular day of reckoning will come...

They loose all  or the whole family has to pay this back  later 

put on the street  take the car   ruthless these days 

our first  day 1 policy here  no dept  no money lending No financing    just pay cash  or transfer  within your means 

then never loose anything  

but  Thai  people like dept  show new car

show

new this that  never understand this 

• Like 2

So ft writes :

In the 12 months to the end of June, Thailand’s current account deficit was $2.2bn, a “massive turnround” from the $40bn surplus the country reported before the pandemic, said Khoon Goh, head of Asia research for ANZ in Singapore. 

Yet from some news outlets of which kitco:

Thailand bought 43,5 tonnes of gold recently . about 2,5 billion $ ....

https://www.kitco.com/news/2021-05-26/Central-banks-turning-to-gold-again-Bank-of-Thailand-buys-43-5-tonnes-in-April.html

Smart move to buy gold , but with a current deficit ...

Edited by FlorC

55 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The start (finally) of a very slipperyslope for the baht, been on the cards, now its starting to bite as red zones increase and pathetic management of the crisis deepens.

50 to £ before year end.

Nah    90

• Haha 1

If you think about it a big fall in the baht would work out quite nicely for corporate vultures to buy bankrupt Thai assets for rock bottom prices.....I am sure none of those blood sucking businessmen and corporate raiders would swoop in and take advantage of Thailand.....Cough Cough

Edited by redwood1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Phredd said:

Why does Thailand not use the US Dollar as their Currency. Many other countries do?

Because then they have no control over monetary policy.....and are in effect giving a free loan to the USA. 

• Like 2

when I first came here to live some 17 years ago I was getting 78baht to the pound and hitting almost 100k baht a month from my private income - dropped like a stone from there lol, still have to wait another 5 years for state pension which is a bummer lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mikecha said:

They loose all  or the whole family has to pay this back  later 

put on the street  take the car   ruthless these days 

our first  day 1 policy here  no dept  no money lending No financing    just pay cash  or transfer  within your means 

then never loose anything  

but  Thai  people like dept  show new car

show

new this that  never understand this 

Some Thais have debts, but in latest figures I can find end 2020 less tahn USA or UK as a %of GDP, Government external debt is also far lower. Of course teh Covid economic hit will not help and it is a matter of concern as many people have very little safety net of welfare, savings or saleable assets.

Country Last Previous Reference Unit
Switzerland 133 131 Dec/20 %
Australia 124 123 Dec/20 %
Norway 115 113 Dec/20 %
Denmark 112 111 Dec/20 %
Canada 112 113 Mar/21 %
Netherlands 105 104 Dec/20 %
South Korea 104 101 Dec/20 %
New Zealand 97.6 95.1 Dec/20 %
Sweden 95.3 93.7 Dec/20 %
Hong Kong 91.2 88.1 Dec/20 %
United Kingdom 90 88.5 Dec/20 %
United States 79.5 77.8 Dec/20 %
Thailand 77.8 75.5 Dec/20 %
Malaysia 76.4 74.6 Dec/20 %
Luxembourg 70.8 70 Dec/20 %
Finland 69.3 68.6 Dec/20 %
France 68.7 67.2 Dec/20 %
Portugal 68.3 67.2 Dec/20 %
Belgium 67.7 66.4 Dec/20 %
Japan 65.3 64.4 Dec/20

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/households-debt-to-gdp

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

As much as I'd like to see the slide continue I acknowledge that the THB has remained somewhat immune and resilient to similar predictions and forecasts over the past 5 years and I don't see this trend as a sure bet. The dice don't always fall as we hope and I'll not be counting on it and only believe it when it happens. .

Very true. I think the best approach is almost the reverse of dollar cost averaging in investment. Move money over (if needed) periodically instead of waiting for the big thrust downward...which may or may not arrive. Downsides are additional fees but these days fees are quite low for xfers, either thru WISE or some brokers like Schwab ($15 per transfer regardless of amount)

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Without Brexit we could have been looking at near 60 baht to the pound.

Maybe,  maybe not..... but the UK  Covid response would have been poorer, and I bet the vaccine donation would have been blocked. The topic is about the baht and really comparison to the USD is the important one. 

• Like 1

Pfui. I hate these hypotheticals. "Could," "might," "There's a risk of." No information to help assess the actual risk. It's all just meant to arouse fear or hope. Heck, the baht might suddenly jump up to 31, too. I'd love to see it drop to 35 and stay there for three years, and it might do that. Who knows?

• Like 2