Baht could sink even further, analyst warns

webfact

Since the input cost of most things we consume in Thailand is priced in US dollars do you really think price increases/inflation won’t eat away that temporary favorable gain in foreign exchange?  The only gain I can see is if you have Baht debt and you are paying this off with money from overseas or if you are living off government subsidized commodities.   

55 minutes ago, mickyr55 said:

Why is it a good thing?? prices are rising faster than the Bhatt is falling

yeah thanks to the dumb yankees there are circa 50% more dollars than 18 months ago, mind you other CBs just follow suit so please don't get too triggered 'American friends' ????

When I first went to Thailand in 2008  it was 67tbt to the pound and prior to the bank crisis. During my short stay I had decided on buying a car which was £12,000. When I returned a couple of months later the Pound had devalued by 20% and I had to pay £16,000.  That was the time when problems really started for the Pound among other currencies (but not the baht) and although the Pound did recover a little, Brexit caused another fall. Later this year I am planning to make some purchases which will be much lower in price not only due to the fall of the baht but also due to the dire situation that Thai citizens are in and having to sell cheaply. Feeling a little uncomfortable?  Yes.                   

Edited by Chris HIckson

7 hours ago, jesimps said:

In the 14 years I've lived here I've never noticed the prices go down.

Thai wife says the same. 

I noticed that my dog's dogfood at Tescos jumped 200 baht for 10kg bag of SmartHeart.  Over 700 baht.

Still same price at Big C though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smedly said:

That was Thai baht steady rise over the last 10 years (with a few spikes drops here and there)

I don't think a steady rise of the baht was the reason why the pound literally dropped off a cliff the day after Brexit happened and continued to plummet for the next several months.

In case you've forgotten, here's a graph showing this. The precipitous drop you see is the day after the Brexit vote.

IMG_20210805_164337.png

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I don't think a steady rise of the baht was the reason why the pound literally dropped off a cliff the day after Brexit happened and continued to plummet for the next several months.

the result of uncertainty which has now largely been removed which is why sterling is now steady and creeping higher - I personally didn't expect otherwise

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Actually, oil prices aren't that influential in respect to inflation anymore. There have been huge improvements in efficiency since the the 80's.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/06/oilpricesinflation.asp

Fair point, but they can still sting the at the pumps and affect all that everyday stuff we buy made with petroleum. I'm surprised price fixing is allowed, though. But I guess the oil producers get to call the shots seeing as well over 100 nations depend on them.

10 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Some Thais have debts, but in latest figures I can find end 2020 less tahn USA or UK as a %of GDP, Government external debt is also far lower. Of course teh Covid economic hit will not help and it is a matter of concern as many people have very little safety net of welfare, savings or saleable assets.

Country Last Previous Reference Unit
Switzerland 133 131 Dec/20 %
Australia 124 123 Dec/20 %
Norway 115 113 Dec/20 %
Denmark 112 111 Dec/20 %
Canada 112 113 Mar/21 %
Netherlands 105 104 Dec/20 %
South Korea 104 101 Dec/20 %
New Zealand 97.6 95.1 Dec/20 %
Sweden 95.3 93.7 Dec/20 %
Hong Kong 91.2 88.1 Dec/20 %
United Kingdom 90 88.5 Dec/20 %
United States 79.5 77.8 Dec/20 %
Thailand 77.8 75.5 Dec/20 %
Malaysia 76.4 74.6 Dec/20 %
Luxembourg 70.8 70 Dec/20 %
Finland 69.3 68.6 Dec/20 %
France 68.7 67.2 Dec/20 %
Portugal 68.3 67.2 Dec/20 %
Belgium 67.7 66.4 Dec/20 %
Japan 65.3 64.4 Dec/20

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/households-debt-to-gdp

Thailand is 92% at the mo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smedly said:

sorry but that is total nonsense, to get a true picture of any one currency you have to compare it with several other major currencies and throw the Thai baht into the mix, a good example would be the EURO and US Dollar - sterling has been on a steady rise since OCT 2019 - that is a fact

And is nowhere near its value against the dollar or euro pre brexit.

Or its value against the baht.

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

And is nowhere near its value against the dollar or euro pre brexit.

Or its value against the baht.

maybe so but it is heading in the right direction, large currencies do not make huge moves unless the is a dramatic reason for it - strong and steady is good

I have to laugh at some Scottish people who fail to realise the trading figures for their own country - 60% within the UK - 23% the world - 17% EU - hard pill to swallow - and for disclosue I am not English

Thailand has over 240 billion usd in Foreign exchange reserves  which it can use  gradually in small amounts  to stimulate the economy , back in 1997 it had only 25 billion USD  so couldnt interfere in the market which led to the Thai Baht depreciate to 50 baht   , i am not saying in the short term  Baht will not depreciate further maybe 34 to max 35 , however dont bet on a huge depreciation .

• Like 2

I am very sure that the baht will continue to decline in value. Clearly the US and also the EU are busy printing money, but if the money is quickly distributed among the needy population, there will be an immediate demand for consumer products. And if the state then properly taxes the online sellers, the money comes in again. In Thailand the wave of economic slump will continue. In addition to those employed in tourism with now 0 income and the failure of the demand for consumer products, and the loss of income from landlords, the third wave will now affect production. People have no money to buy cars, cell phones, computers, motorcycles, fashion. Loans for condos, houses, cars, motorbikes and insurance will also be difficult to obtain. The fourth wave will then be tax shortfalls and bank failures. The army generals do not fully understand this. If you want to exchange foreign currency for Thai Baht now, you should wait and see.

Edited by tomacht8

I think the baht has always been put on a pedestal I say enjoy while it last it is what goes around comes around!  I try to keep my life style the same whether it is high or low right now any extra goes into a hiding place for a rainy day.  You just don't know when someone turns your head by calling out " where you going handsome man "????

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Until the moment some Thai bright light says ...." let's compensate and make the 800K in bank 1000 000 or 1.200 000 baht ret. ext. deposit and its compensated....

and so finish with the temporary fun ????

13 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

It made a huge move after the referendum result.

And its still no-where near what it was before.

and ?

sterling and the Euro have been trading between 75 and 85 for years - it is within it's normal range now and like I already said - strengthening 

you can argue all you want about nothing 

As for the Thai Baht - it has been strengthening against all currencies for years and only now is it weakening 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I think the baht has always been put on a pedestal I say enjoy while it last it is what goes around comes around!  I try to keep my life style the same whether it is high or low right now any extra goes into a hiding place for a rainy day.  You just don't know when someone turns your head by calling out " where you going handsome man "????

I hold sterling in an FCD account exchanged at 42, I may change it back to Thai baht soon, originally changed from sterling to baht at 55 - not bad for just sitting there   55 - 42 - maybe 48, see when I want to pull the trigger, nice little earner for me  

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

and ?

sterling and the Euro have been trading between 75 and 85 for years - it is within it's normal range now and like I already said - strengthening 

you can argue all you want about nothing 

As for the Thai Baht - it has been strengthening against all currencies for years and only now is it weakening 

Is the pound back to its level v the euro prior to the referendum?

Yes or no.

Is the pound back to its level v the dollar prior to the referendum?

Yes or no.

As for the strengthening baht. Is the pound back to pre brexit levels?

Yes or no.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

I hold sterling in an FCD account exchanged at 42, I may change it back to Thai baht soon, originally changed from sterling to baht at 55 - not bad for just sitting there   55 - 42 - maybe 48, see when I want to pull the trigger, nice little earner for me  

Would have been a better earner when the pound is sitting at 60 though wouldnt it.

Still. You got what you voted for.

• Haha 1