Motorbike rider killed as car makes deadly U-turn

webfact

1628137866_1-org.jpg

The remains of Mr Pracha’s motorbike. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

By Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A 30-year-old man died in a collision between the motorbike he was riding and a car waking u-turn on Srisoonthorn Rd westbound, in Srisoonthorn, last night (Aug 4).

Lt Pongphiphat Khamchomphu of the Thalang Police was called to the scene at about 8:20pm.

Police together with rescue workers from Cherng Talay Municipality and an ambulance from Thalang Hospital arrived at the scene to find the motorbike rider, Pracha Laisue, 30, lying on the road.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/motorbike-rider-killed-as-car-makes-deadly-u-turn-80937.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-08-05

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Motorcycles are death traps....Flesh against steel.  I sometimes wonder why so many older retired foreigners ride around on these rice burner scoopy and click bikes.  Back in my day no one would be caught dead on a Japanese scooter.  Get off your darn fossil fuel burning, air polluting, noisy scooters and walk I say. You will feel and look better.

Peace

Dag nabbit!!

• Haha 2

From the link it seems as if she was preparing to make a U-turn and pulled across to do so, but forgot to see if the road was clear first. That's why the bike hit her on the driver's side. And, of course, the bike was going at high speed as that is the only speed that drivers in Thailand know, so the biker had no chance of avoiding her.

Signed

Detective Bazza

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"invite Ms Sawanya to Thalang Police Station for further questioning before police determine whether charges will be filed." 

Sounds like the police have already made up their minds about filing charges.   Now  it's just a matter  of which charges will be filed..

It is possible the driver of the car is not at fault.    The CCTV can help to clear that up

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

From the link it seems as if she was preparing to make a U-turn and pulled across to do so, but forgot to see if the road was clear first. That's why the bike hit her on the driver's side. And, of course, the bike was going at high speed as that is the only speed that drivers in Thailand know, so the biker had no chance of avoiding her.

Signed

Detective Bazza

It is crazy that kind of motobikes are allowed to drive 90km/hrs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/5/2021 at 9:05 AM, Skallywag said:

Motorcycles are death traps....Flesh against steel.  I sometimes wonder why so many older retired foreigners ride around on these rice burner scoopy and click bikes.  Back in my day no one would be caught dead on a Japanese scooter.  Get off your darn fossil fuel burning, air polluting, noisy scooters and walk I say. You will feel and look better.

Peace

I suppose it depends how far you have to travel and how hot it is.

It's about 2 km to the market from my house and we normally visit on the way home in the car. If we're going from the house we sometimes use the bike. In the UK I'd walk that no problem but the issues in this case are firstly whilst some parts are shielded by trees others are open and very hot. Secondly I'm not sure walking down a rural winding road in Isaan parts of which have limited visibility due to trees is particularly safe even compared to the normal dangers in Thailand.

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 10:55 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Signed

Detective Bazza

There could be several reasons behind this.

She may not have looked, the bike may not have had a front light or it may have been going so fast that she couldn't see it at the time she pulled out. It's also possible that the guy wasn't paying enough attention to what was happening in front of him and wasn't prepared for the possibility of a car pulling out. It does seem to be a problem with a lot of motorcyclists in Thailand that they ride as if they aren't in the same universe as the rest of the vehicles. I've often slowed or stopped in my car because another vehicle has pulled out in front of me but bikes just swerve past narrowly missing the vehicle I'm avoiding.

• Like 1

If it is not a pick-up truck hitting a motorbike in the back, it is a simple case of a motorbike driver going to fast.

At the speed I typically ride my motorbike, I am able to avoid hitting (up to now, hehe) any of the people driving on a death wish, or driving as if they owned the roads.

But what makes me sad sometimes, is when I see one of these irresponsible drivers having a passenger in the back.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, kimamey said:

Secondly I'm not sure walking down a rural winding road in Isaan parts of which have limited visibility due to trees is particularly safe even compared to the normal dangers in Thailand.

I had the same issue getting to my office in Asoke in BKK.  I walked up the street (with no sidewalks) a few times when I first moved in, and soon decided it was safer to take a motosai the 1 km to the office.  Driving my truck to work would have been a 20 minute ordeal because of one-way streets forcing me to take a long detour into the parking garage. (not to mention the horrendous parking fees)

I'm not a fan of long range scooter travel because of the crazy dangerous accident statistics, but there are some circumstances where it's worth the risk.  And some where it's the only viable alternative.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, impulse said:

I had the same issue getting to my office in Asoke in BKK.  I walked up the street (with no sidewalks) a few times when I first moved in, and soon decided it was safer to take a motosai the 1 km to the office.  Driving my truck to work would have been a 20 minute ordeal because of one-way streets forcing me to take a long detour into the parking garage. (not to mention the horrendous parking fees)

I'm not a fan of long range scooter travel because of the crazy dangerous accident statistics, but there are some circumstances where it's worth the risk.  And some where it's the only viable alternative.

My situation is different in that I'd be walking on the road but there's a lack visibility and vehicles going too fast to stop even if they saw me. I can see how you would find that a bike would be the obvious answer in your situation.

All we really need is E Scooters.

What fun.   ????