Astrazenica or Moderna which is the Better Vaccine?

Greetings 

Over the past week, I have received confirmed appointments for Covid vaccine injections from two different hospitals. One is offering me the Moderna vaccine ,the other will make available Astra Zenica. I am now 71, have elevated blood pressure  (which is under control) - and otherwise I am in good health.

Of the two vaccines, which do you guys think is the better one for me to select to give me some protection against COVID  

Edited by James Roderick
  • Confused 1

I have read good and bad for both your choices. My neighbor just got AZ and he is a bit woozy and sleepie 2 days post jab, but otherwise fine.

But at the end of the day they all claim to offer some measure of protection from developing serious covid illness. The confusion now to me is that a seasonal "booster" vaccine shot will be required for which I am somewhat suspicious of. I suppose time will tell.

Dosing interval is 28 days (please confirm) for Moderna vs 8 to 12 weeks with AZ so in view of your age, you may want to opt for Moderna.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, codemonkey said:

I have read good and bad for both your choices. My neighbor just got AZ and he is a bit woozy and sleepie 2 days post jab, but otherwise fine.

But at the end of the day they all claim to offer some measure of protection from developing serious covid illness. The confusion now to me is that a seasonal "booster" vaccine shot will be required for which I am somewhat suspicious of. I suppose time will tell.

Dosing interval is 28 days (please confirm) for Moderna vs 8 to 12 weeks with AZ so in view of your age, you may want to opt for Moderna.

Yes, the booster issue is of concern. and will no doubt be pushed by those who are looking to benefit from supplying these in the future.

There is an article in the Daily Mail (yes, I know....) that seems to suggest that AZ / J&J might not need early boosters. No doubt the other vaccine suppliers will be ramping up their responses to protect their future revenues. In the case of J&J this has already happened, plus AZ, I believe, is still to be given emergency use authorisation in the US. Hmmm.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9866531/AstraZeneca-vaccine-longer-immunity-suggests-boss-UK-drugs-giant.html?offset=133&max=100&jumpTo=comment-729887859#comment-729887859

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9865463/CVS-says-STOPPED-offering-Johnson-Johnson-Covid-vaccine-pharmacies.html?offset=24&max=100&jumpTo=comment-729890267#comment-729890267

You pays your money............

I dont think the moderna offer will be for any time soon. Supposed to be arriving at private hospitals in October but if these get hijacked might not be until next year.

If you are worried take the AZ which is currently available.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, James Roderick said:

I have an appointment at Medpark Hospital in Bangkok Monday morning, August 9. Apparently, Medpark has access to the Moderna vaccine. My second appointment is at a private hospital in Pattaya on August 18th 

As far as I understand, there is no Moderna vaccine in Thailand until October.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This and ‘just this’.... get what you can. 

Get the first one that is available to you (i.e. AZ) you can always follow up with Moderna (or Pfizer) as a second shot.

Doing exactly this... 

Hobson's choice for whatever vaccine you can get now (Mine was go back to the UK or accept Sinopharm), buyers choice for your booster (I plan on getting Moderna) 

• Thanks 1

All the "western" vaccines have good data for protection against serious, and even mild, illness from Covid, even with the latest Delta variant.

Sinovac have still not even published their stage 3 clinical trials data. I don't think there is any robust data on the Chinese vaccines apart from the original strain of the virus.

Also, if you want to travel anywhere, no "western" health agencies have approved the Chinese vaccines, so you will likely be treated as non-vaccinated if you travel to Europe or the US.

There have been no head to head vaccine comparisons as far as I know, so comparing AZ v Moderna v Pfizer is difficult.....all their trials were in different places under different conditions, etc, 

• Thanks 1