Is it possible to open a bank account in chiang mai with TR visa?

All banks either said no straight or asked for a letter from the immigration office,(which they don't issue to anyone entered into Thailand with a tourist visa.

We are on covid extenstions more than one year now, how do you guys solve your financial problems? 

Except of agent, is there any possibility to open a bank account in chiangmai?

It may also be useful to visit the bank with a Thai friend/account holder. I did so about 8 years ago, along with my passport with visa stamp and a "Certificate of Residency". My friend spoke with the branch manager after which I was able to apply.

9 minutes ago, ChristianBlessing said:

It may also be useful to visit the bank with a Thai friend/account holder. I did so about 8 years ago, along with my passport with visa stamp and a "Certificate of Residency". My friend spoke with the branch manager after which I was able to apply.

A LOT has changed since then. Think perhaps triggered by money laundering laws. In any event it's not straight forward. 

The OP ruled out an agent which is what I would have suggested.

Even though I live here  on extensions (retirement) and also a Thai bank account ....Bangkok Bank was difficult. They wanted a letter from my embassy regarding proof of address. Oz embassy does not provide that service. Also they wanted something from my Australian Bank. Ridiculous!!.

Eventually had success with Kasikorn a year back.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Bangkok Bank and possibley others will a accept a document that basically only needs to prove your address from your embassy.

info is here: https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Thanks, it's very useful, but I was there, they didn't mentioned anything of embassy letter but insisted requiting a letter from the immigration office. I'll try to see if I can get a letter from my embassy first.

8 minutes ago, comm2020 said:

Thanks, it's very useful, but I was there, they didn't mentioned anything of embassy letter but insisted requiting a letter from the immigration office. I'll try to see if I can get a letter from my embassy first.

I'm guessing that they are asking for a Residence Certificate from immigration.

My experience is that immigration wants last 90 day report to issue one.

Being on covid extensions, I assume that your not doing 90 day reports. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

A LOT has changed since then. Think perhaps triggered by money laundering laws. In any event it's not straight forward. 

Even though I live here  on extensions (retirement) and also a Thai bank account ....Bangkok Bank was difficult. They wanted a letter from my embassy regarding proof of address. Oz embassy does not provide that service. Also they wanted something from my Australian Bank. Ridiculous!!.

Embassies definitely don't issue an address certificate. Hope the chiangmai Branch will be good to me.

I don't want an agent because I don't feel comfortable with them at all.

There do exist a bank which is willing to help me if i use it to apply a retirement visa, but the question is my bank is in the States, while I'm here, the only way to transfer money to them is to do online transfer, which needs to convert 80k baht equivalent dollars into Thai baht, which I don't want do it now. 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm guessing that they are asking for a Residence Certificate from immigration.

My experience is that immigration wants last 90 day report to issue one.

Being on covid extensions, I assume that your not doing 90 day reports. 

No, this is why I prefer to stay with covid extensions. From my knowledge, 90days report is ridiculous hard

1 minute ago, comm2020 said:

Embassies definitely don't issue an address certificate. Hope the chiangmai Branch will be good to me.

I don't want an agent because I don't feel comfortable with them at all.

There do exist a bank which is willing to help me if i use it to apply a retirement visa, but the question is my bank is in the States, while I'm here, the only way to transfer money to them is to do online transfer, which needs to convert 80k baht equivalent dollars into Thai baht, which I don't want do it now. 

I know exactly what you mean regarding trying to open bank account in order to obtain a non O. 

They ask for your work permit then it's like a catch 22 conversation.

When I was in that situation I tried many options. Took Thai friend with account in bank etc. Nothing worked. 

Eventually I went to head office of a bank and I signed a form agreeing to zero interest. 

This was in Bangkok..

Not sure about CM however I would try the head office and definitely outline your plan to use the account to obtain Non O.

4 minutes ago, comm2020 said:

No, this is why I prefer to stay with covid extensions. From my knowledge, 90days report is ridiculous hard

Disregard whatever you have been told about 90 reports being difficult. 

They are very simple. 

However being on covid extensions as I understand it, you do not do 90 day reports.

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Interesting that Bangkok Bank gave you a hard time whereas Kasikorn was more accommodating.  It was the exact opposite for me here in Bangkok a few years ago and now I’m wondering where to go to open a second account.

You mention agents.  I was under the impression that agents were strictly for visa related issues.  Would you happen to know an agent in Bangkok that can assist in opening an account (for an American)?

i opened an acct at bangkok bank (tourist visa) when things were moving toward 'difficult', in most cases, you couldn't just walk in and open one anymore.  this was 2017 in bangkok, i went to the US embassy and got the embassy letter.  as i recall it was just stating that my passport is real and i am who i am.  i also provided a copy of my lease with a cover letter from the apt manager saying i lived at the address. 

it does seem like an agent is best once you've spent time trying on your own and are not able to get it done.  i understand reluctance to pay an agent for the retirement 'no money in bank' extensions.  but i think you should reconsider paying an agent for opening the account.  nothing wrong with that.  you may be able to do it on your own but many would rather pay the agent these days.  you could also contact a law firm to open it, you may deem them more 'comfortable'.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Interesting that Bangkok Bank gave you a hard time whereas Kasikorn was more accommodating.  It was the exact opposite for me here in Bangkok a few years ago and now I’m wondering where to go to open a second account.

You mention agents.  I was under the impression that agents were strictly for visa related issues.  Would you happen to know an agent in Bangkok that can assist in opening an account (for an American)?

I did know an agent last year, who could open a bank account for your case, but she asks 10k thaibaht for commission

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

First up, if you are here in Thailand on extensions etc then you can open a bank account. 

For Kasilorn  ...they wanted to see my extension stamp. That was about it. 

Regarding agent. There are agents that vast majority of business is assistance with visa matters. Also 90 reports etc etc.

Some agents deal with things such as bank accounts. 

Siam Legal (sponsor of aseannow) assist with bank account. They use Bangkok Bank. 

As mentioned earlier if you have extension etc in passport, you can open account yourself.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First up, if you are here in Thailand on extensions etc then you can open a bank account. 

For Kasilorn  ...they wanted to see my extension stamp. That was about it. 

Regarding agent. There are agents that vast majority of business is assistance with visa matters. Also 90 reports etc etc.

Some agents deal with things such as bank accounts. 

Siam Legal (sponsor of aseannow) assist with bank account. They use Bangkok Bank. 

As mentioned earlier if you have extension etc in passport, you can open account yourself.

I’ll give Kasikorn another try.  I was trying to open an account at the time in order to transfer the money in in order to switch from a tourist visa to a Non-O “retirement” visa.  Kasikorn told me that I either needed a work permit (your catch 22 conversation example) and then when I mentioned retirement, I was told that I needed a purchase agreement for a condo.  It pretty frustrating to say the least.  I walked across the hall at Emquartier to the Bangkok Bank branch and was told to get a certificate of residency based on my lease and then come on back and they’d take care of everything.  Almost effortless.

It would be so nice if I could just walk into any bank, show them my passport, Thai drivers license, pay a fee and open an account.  I suppose there is no way of getting around the trip out to Muangthongthani Immigration for yet another certificate of residency which are becoming more of a hassle (due to frequency) than the 90 day reports.

11 minutes ago, comm2020 said:

I did know an agent last year, who could open a bank account for your case, but she asks 10k thaibaht for commission

i don't know the going rate in chiang mai but i would be 'uncomfortable' paying that amount, that is for sure.  from what i've read and heard, the rate in bangkok is 3,000 for opening a bank account.  at one point, some branches were willing to open an account if you bought an insurance product from them, that was at a cost of 3,000 to 5,000 baht.  for the next branch you visit and get declined, you could offer to buy one of their insurance offerings.  as noted earlier, a good sell job on needing the account to deposit the 800k for getting a non O might help also.  i hope you get some success soon.

57 minutes ago, comm2020 said:

Bangkok Bank usually prefer residence certificate from those who are not working.

They have the right to reject or approve if it is other documents. I suggest you pay a visit to the bank first before getting the letter from embassy.

Unless you are using your bank account for putting the 800k, the chances are slim without residence certificate.

Bangkok Bank used to be lenient but now it is stricter.

Edited by EricTh

I opened an account on a Tourist Visa last month (actually an STV) with Bangkok Bank. I did need a Certificate of Residency. Could not be bothered waiting weeks for this as I needed to transfer money so got one in 24 hours using an agent ( I know, giving money to agents for something that should be free blah blah)

The Bangkok Bank in KSK is well known for being user friendly but I ended up in the Nimman branch.

As usual a heap of paperwork to sign but all done in about 20 mins. ATM card, on line banking etc.

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Usually Bangkok Bank prefer residence certificate from those who are not working.

They have the right to reject or approve if it is other documents.

Unless you are using your bank account for putting the 800k, the chances are slim without residence certificate.

Bangkok Bank used to be lenient but now it is stricter.

Yes, it's their right and they have their own difficulties. Last year before the coming of covid extensions, I did ask around opening an account eagerly to apply for a retirement visa, now, in fact, I only eagerly to open an account to get some cash to use, I'm am very satisfied with covid extension. And waiting for countries to open their boarders than traveling. 

9 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

To clarify I used an agent to get the residency cert in a hurry, not the bank account. I did that all on my own!

Which immigration office was that? 

Have not heard of agent assisting with R.C

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which immigration office was that? 

Have not heard of agent assisting with R.C

Chiang Mai. I provided a tenancy agreement and collected the RC next day. Mate of mine also needed one but was in no rush. Think it was free but he did have to wait a few weeks for it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, comm2020 said:

What is your nationality? Many embassies will provide you a certificate of residence.

Note that it is usually harder to persuade a bank to open an account for you if you are a US national. Reporting requirements make servicing US nationals a hassle.

One approach that can be successful with some bank branches, especially with a savvy manager, is the following. Indicate that you are willing to buy the bank's accident insurance (as I recall, typically about 4,000 baht for the year) if they allow you to open an account. The bank staff get commission for selling insurance.

EDIT: One point I forgot to mention. Your appearance can often be a deciding factor in how the bank views you. Thailand is still frequently very conservative over grooming and dress. If you turn up looking as you would for a job interview you have a better chance than if you look like a tourist after a heavy night drinking.

Edited by BritTim

On 8/6/2021 at 7:43 PM, comm2020 said:

Except of agent, is there any possibility to open a bank account in chiangmai?

I got my address confirmation letter from US consulate for about $50. I had a tourist visa, but that was 6 years ago. 
You need to ask. 

On 8/6/2021 at 10:45 PM, comm2020 said:

Go "bank shopping" (try at various branches). Eventually one will say yes.