Health Ministry Will Administer Favipiravir to All COVID-19 Patients

Jonathan Fairfield

their own production capacity by GPO is now 2-4mln per month, so for max 6 days use at the current level.

Only from October they can scale up to 40mln per month.

It transpires, that they do expect this wave to last till January with some 4 millions pills given away daily, so with infection levels 5x higher, than now.

I don't think they would be stockpiling for the next year. They are ordering for the current use. As there might appear and be approved some better medicine

Edited by internationalism

13 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

Just watched contagion again - I cannot get the name forsythia out of my mind

Nah, Ivermectin is the forsythia of today.

1 hour ago, rtco said:

I'd rather take Invermectin

And it's acolytes are all played by Jude Law.

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Public Health Ministry has decided to allow health units to administer Favipiravir to all groups of COVID-19 patients, including those currently under home and community isolation.

This seems like a really bad idea.

3 hours ago, grandpa said:

The propaganda ministry is still in full swing then!  This bit of information from a research paper published on 26th May 2021 may save the government some wasted money.

"Favipiravir possibly exerted no significant beneficial effect in the term of mortality in the general group of patients with mild to moderate COVID-19. We should consider that perhaps the use of antiviral once the patient has symptoms is too late and this would explain their low efficacy in the clinical setting."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-90551-6

International Journal of Infectious Diseases; Vol. 102, Jan. 2021:

"To hasten the treatment process, repurposed drugs are being evaluated. Favipiravir is one such oral drug that was approved for new and reemerging pandemic influenza in Japan in 2014 and has shown potent in vitro activity against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2. It has a wide therapeutic safety margin indicated by a wide CC50/EC50 ratio for a high dose. From the clinical studies in COVID-19, it has shown rapid viral clearance as compared to lopinavir/ritonavir (LPV/RTV) and superior recovery rate than umifenovir. Overall, favipiravir has shown promising results in clinical studies in China, Russia, and Japan, and more trials are underway in multiple countries, including USA, UK, and India. Recently, treatment guidelines from many countries and some states from India have included favipiravir in the treatment protocol. This review provides insights into the evidence-based evolving role of favipiravir in the management of COVID-19 infection with emphasis on benefits of initiating an early antiviral therapy with special focus on favipiravir, its pharmacodynamic, pharmacokinetic, in vitro, clinical data, and inclusion in the treatment protocols of COVID-19."

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rtco said:

Thailand Health Ministry don't recommend invermection for good reasons and WHO warned against its use. Have you personal experience taking Invermectin and recovered from covid? My personal experience is that favipiravir work and is safe. 

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong word

1 hour ago, Harveyg said:

has shown potent in vitro activity

In vitro.

Brilliant.

The rest of this post contains the usual vague references to "it's better than something else", and "it may not kill you in the doses required to potentially combat COVID", and that it  has "shown promising results in clinical studies".

19 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

My personal experience is that favipiravir work and is safe. 

That's great news for you.

Unfortunately it didn't help the 149 people who passed in the most recent reporting period. I'm assuming most passed in a hospital environment, in which case they were receiving Favipiravir.

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

In vitro.

Brilliant.

The rest of this post contains the usual vague references to "it's better than something else", and "it may not kill you in the doses required to potentially combat COVID", and that it  has "shown promising results in clinical studies".

That's great news for you.

Unfortunately it didn't help the 149 people who passed in the most recent reporting period. I'm assuming most passed in a hospital environment, in which case they were receiving Favipiravir.

There is no miracle drug that can save covid infected compromised patients from deaths except vaccines and that also has its failures if patients have underlying illness. Looking at the 555,334 that has recovered in today statistic, we can safely said that Favipiravir played a significant role. 

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Looking at the 555,334 that has recovered in today statistic, we can safely said that Favipiravir played a significant role. 

How many of those received Favipiravir? A small percentage. 

And why is it that "we can safely say that Favipiravir played a significant role"?

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

There is no miracle drug that can save covid infected compromised patients from deaths except vaccines and that also has its failures if patients have underlying illness.

Then why treat these patients with Favipiravir?

So your position is that Favipiravir can save everyone, except those who died? Convenient.