Paying tax for gifts

Tarteso

For years, I have been receiving from my daughters gifts in the form of cans of special preserves, such as duck liver pate and other delicacies, without any problem and usually the weight of 3 or 5 kgs.  But this time I receive a tax for the value of Baht 3,720.- which is practically the price of the product paid from Europe.  My question is if this control is new and if the amount demanded is fair.  Thanks in advance for having some information

A230AD75-C4C9-45C4-A3F7-E18BC3D6A40D.jpeg

1 hour ago, johng said:

Why does the receipt mention  clothes, T-shirt  ?  I know for sure that shoes attract 30 % tariff

1309236214_30percentshoes_3.thumb.jpg.8b386d2d3ab345e0abaa7c5173b7a1bc.jpg

There is the error!  daughter wrong to choose the shipping item.  thank you johng. Anyway the tax is excessive!

84AD138A-C656-4437-8099-50D6CD5221B1.jpeg

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

The HS code on your document is for a men's T shirt. In a package with mixed contents you will normally be charged the import duty for the highest valued article and that rate will be applied across the entire shipment.

Assuming the declared value is correct then the customs treatment of your goods is correct.

Items being marked as a gift make no difference to the duty paid. If it did, every shipment would be marked as a gift and no duty world be paid at all.

You are right, Thank u blackcab..I was been googling and just read the rules;

FCB7068C-A5E2-4DA7-AE31-B0108A003891.jpeg

1E741310-966D-4AC3-92B6-CC5E86E9DEE3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tarteso said:

For years, I have been receiving from my daughters gifts in the form of cans of special preserves, such as duck liver pate and other delicacies, without any problem and usually the weight of 3 or 5 kgs.

Then you have been lucky that nobody ever checked it, you may not import food without it being approved by Thai FDA / having an import license.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A while back I went to pay GBP100 duty on a GBP150 item of clothing* and saw a notice explaining that it was Customs not Thai post who was charging this and that any appeal would take two weeks minimum. In 25 years of having to every now and then make the unhappy trip to Phrakanong post office to pay duty and collect my package I have not seen that sign until recently. Years ago clothes in a box and obviously from mail order would sail through, that stopped.

I think they are collecting much more aggressively. Thai Customs is one of the unpleasant things about living here - if they just charged the correct duty all the time and you could pay it online rather than Que three  times at the Post office, fine, but you get hit with $100 curveballs and the travel and queing time. So many times I want to just click buy on something, but fear of Customs stops me, or I have to back and forth with a seller to get confirmation they will label it properly. It makes buying from overseas a pain.

Bottom line is that I have imported a fraction of what I would if there was a better system in place, literally confining myself to non dutiable items and only if the seller agrees to label properly. Some companies won't ship to Thailand - part of the reason for that is likely people not claiming their item when they order something and get hit with $100 duty on top. Ultimately Thailand loses.

*Taxed as a "Textiles" import. Generally on clothes, regardless of value I have either had them sail through OK ,or if by courier, have paid a seemingly fixed fee of $30-40 - i.e. charged on assessed, not declared value.

Edited by mokwit

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It is always best to send 2 or 3 smaller parcels than 1 big one,

that's what I do and have no problems. but with the state of

the economy , maybe customs and excise have been told to

start bringing in much more money,, 

regards worgeordie

Envelope or jiffy bag rather than box where possible. Boxes are seized upon.

I have sent my wife 5 packages in the last 18 months due to covid from Australia to Thailand 3 to 5kg each time nothing out of the ordinary creams, some chocolate, rain jacket on 1 occasion they made my wife pay 2000 baht to release the package for no other reason that the post master in bkk said so, l had all items listed on declaration, could not argue the point had to pay his luch money nothing more than a scam Amazing Thailand 

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Then you have been lucky that nobody ever checked it, you may not import food without it being approved by Thai FDA / having an import license.

That is the question..Having received these items on so many occasions, I always thought that a few cans and properly vacuum sealed foods were allowed.  There are regulations in countries that accept the package if it is properly sealed.

I'm about to buy a rather expensive limited edition watch direct from the manufacturers, it's going to be in excess of GBP 3000, I think I can get it delivered to Thailand without paying 20% UK VAT but I am concerned about Thai import duties plus the 7% Thai VAT, I looked at a calculator earlier somewhere and it estimated the taxes at above 22,000 THB ????

• Like 1