Schools.

22 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes they are back in the UK but you need to put that into perspective, only after the lockdowns ended and the majority of adults including all teachers were vaccinated, together with all vulnerable people who the children could pass the virus onto.

Additionally the condition for returning to school were stringent:

"High schools and colleges will be allowed to reopen in phases to allow for three rounds of testing. Students will then get kits so they can test themselves twice more at home. The U.K. government has distributed nearly 57 million rapid “lateral flow” test kits to schools across the country

To help children forced into online learning for months to catch up with their education, officials are considering extending school days, shortening the summer holiday or adding an extra term to the year."

"The government has confirmed twice-weekly testing using lateral flow tests will be given for free to all adults in households with primary, secondary school and college-aged children and young people, including childcare and support bubbles, to help find more Covid-19 cases and break chains of transmission."

"From 16 August 2021, children under the age of 18 years old will no longer be required to self-isolate if they are contacted by NHS Test and Trace as a close contact of a positive COVID-19 case.

Instead, children will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace, informed they have been in close contact with a positive case and advised to take a PCR test. We would encourage all individuals to take a PCR test if advised to do so."

Don't get me wrong, I'm one for education and also have a daughter but without the vaccination levels and similar measures as UK then I'm doubtfull Thailand will reopen schools for some time, its devastating for the kids but there is nothing we can do. Terrible situation.

Yes, unfortunately I can't see Thailand achieving anything like the UK has done, especially in regard to vaccinations. I wish the authorities here would give schools the same level of priority; but I don't really think they care.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, unfortunately I can't see Thailand achieving anything like the UK has done, especially in regard to vaccinations. I wish the authorities here would give schools the same level of priority; but I don't really think they care.

You're right, they do not seem to care at all, very sad. 

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And i cannot understand why and how you can or keep continue comparing uk and thailand... another non sense..

On 8/12/2021 at 7:11 PM, OishiRefill said:

At least in my personal experience yes, the school finance office transferred about 55% of the term fees back to me a few days ago. In addition to that, I am told that I will receive 2000 baht around the end of this month via the school from the government for 'help with living?'. There is even more than this, a number of days worth of free cellular data for each child (also from the government via the school). I do not have any web links as evidence for this but I am thinking the benefits are for all children. 

Most grateful! 

Today the school gave out this Government money, It is supposed to be 2,000. For each child. But... The school decided on a service charge ? And gave each child 1500. And no internet data.  No one questioned them they just took what was given.  This is a poor village and every Baht helps. It is not right. And who to complain about it when their all in on it.

21 hours ago, thaitom said:

Today the school gave out this Government money, It is supposed to be 2,000. For each child. But... The school decided on a service charge ? And gave each child 1500. And no internet data.  No one questioned them they just took what was given.  This is a poor village and every Baht helps. It is not right. And who to complain about it when their all in on it.

So it seems I made a mistake, As I wrote above , The school said this money was from the Government. But today I read here ....... Related agencies are now verifying the eligibility of applicants in order to further process the 2,000 baht per student payout on 31st August.     They have not yet given out the money, not until August 31.   So I am now confused as to what money was given to my daughter.

On 8/15/2021 at 10:50 PM, problemfarang said:

And i cannot understand why and how you can or keep continue comparing uk and thailand... another non sense..

Similar population size, free schools, free health care, both verging on oppressive police state, and I've lived in both.

It seems entirely sensible for me to compare the countries.

Edited by BritManToo

On 8/11/2021 at 7:43 PM, problemfarang said:

schools are not opening this whole year. 

Just not true.

Daughter went up country mid July to visit Grandparents, then had the inter province travel ban. The local school opened two weeks ago and they were more than happy for her to attend, as was I.

Have read your other comments on schools opening and don't agree with any of them. From what i have seen they are practicing strict Covid measures and that's good enough for me, there is no escaping the Pandemic, learn to live with it.

My daughter is thrilled to be back at school, all be it very different to the private school in BKK, am not that fussed if she actually learns anything new. Just the inter action with her peers and some much needed structure in her life is good enough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Just not true.

Daughter went up country mid July to visit Grandparents, then had the inter province travel ban. The local school opened two weeks ago and they were more than happy for her to attend, as was I.

Have read your other comments on schools opening and don't agree with any of them. From what i have seen they are practicing strict Covid measures and that's good enough for me, there is no escaping the Pandemic, learn to live with it.

My daughter is thrilled to be back at school, all be it very different to the private school in BKK, am not that fussed if she actually learns anything new. Just the inter action with her peers and some much needed structure in her life is good enough.

I'm very jealous!

It's clear to all of us that when . and if some may believe, Thailand achieves a moderate proportion, which could be around half of the population, the country will more or less open up.

The Thai Gov. Education Department does allow some flexibility outside Bangkok, for the provincial departments to allow student attendance. At present practically all Provincial Thai Gov. schools and colleges are closed, and will follow in the footsteps of Bangkok.

While they remain closed the International Schools must follow suit.

The only source  of my comments is my wife who is a Headteacher of a Thai Gov.Provincial School.

Her chats to other Headteachers in their network groups in all provinces and Bangkok is Thai Gov. Schools will quite probably stay closed until the 2022-2023 school year which  starts around May 16, 2022. The Teachers and Headteachers are concerned about the vaccination rate, and of course Covid. I cant give you figures on how many teachers have been vaccinated, They are equally concerned about themselves and just how many kids plus parents are vaccinated.

As of last Sunday I have/had two boys attending a secondary International school in Bangkok . For me and them faced with the possibility of a future year online , we said enough and arrived back in the UK a few days ago. It's a good option if one can manage to do it , to take your kids home for a wile, I believe .

• Like 1